Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-03-14, 08:09

Counting and setting steps for redrum, loop is out of sync with start of step sequenc

I am wondering if anyone knows a good method when using redrum to line the first lit step up with the first beat in the loop,

currently when I use redrum, I set the loop in the sequencer to the start of the bar, till the end of the same bar

Then go to redrum, the problem is that even when I am sure I have set the steps right the step led that lights up when the loop starts is always at the end of my first run patter i.e. 1 to 16 I am looking at the right screen I would have assumed that the start of the loop would sync with the step sequencer so that the red light above the first step lights up identically in sync with the start of the loop

It is confusing to have the loop start on no. 13 step when the loop starts and finish at no 12

How do you sync the start of the loop with the first step in redrum,

I have tried everyting the only thing I can think of is that I am not setting the steps right?

Anyone have any ideas on an easy method to sync redrum cycle with the loop
Old 2012-03-14, 09:44

It sounds like you're using a resolution and step settings that don't mesh well with the time signature of your song. If you take the basic settings, your song is in 4/4 you have resolution to 1/16 and have 16 steps set in redrum. In this scenario the 16 steps means that after redrum plays 16 steps (those sequencing buttons) it will start at the beginning. The 1/16th resolution means that each step is a sixteenth note. If you light up all the buttons and hit play, you get 16 drum hits per bar. If you set the steps to something other than 16, redrum will start over at a different time than your next bar begins (assuming you're in 4/4 time signature.) So, if you switch to 3/4 and you want redrum to line up with that you could set steps to 12 so it restarts in sync with the next bar. You could also set the resolution to 32nd notes and then set the steps to 24. This would effectively give you double the resolution but still have the pattern restart with the beginning of the next bar.

Make sense? It's pretty much a question of music theory. If everything I said was gobbledy gook, google music theory. There's a lot of great basic walkthrough that'll help. I know I started using music software before learning any theory and it was all really confusing till I did.

Last edited by footwords; 2012-03-14 at 09:48.
Old 2012-03-14, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizburg View Post
I am wondering if anyone knows a good method when using redrum to line the first lit step up with the first beat in the loop,

currently when I use redrum, I set the loop in the sequencer to the start of the bar, till the end of the same bar

Then go to redrum, the problem is that even when I am sure I have set the steps right the step led that lights up when the loop starts is always at the end of my first run patter i.e. 1 to 16 I am looking at the right screen I would have assumed that the start of the loop would sync with the step sequencer so that the red light above the first step lights up identically in sync with the start of the loop

It is confusing to have the loop start on no. 13 step when the loop starts and finish at no 12

How do you sync the start of the loop with the first step in redrum,

I have tried everyting the only thing I can think of is that I am not setting the steps right?

Anyone have any ideas on an easy method to sync redrum cycle with the loop
I'll take a guess here that your loop markers are not starting on bar one? The only way I know how to deal with this issue is to program the patterns (but not the notes) in the sequencer. That will force the pattern to start on step one no matter where you are in the timeline. Normally, the ReDrum will 'sync' to the bar number in the sequencer, so that it will play correctly no matter what bar you are on. But sometimes (like your case), this is not what you want.

To override this 'feature' simple right-click in the Pattern area of ReDrum and select "Edit Automation" (a green square will appear around the pattern buttons, indicating this parameter is now automated in the sequencer). This will create a "Pattern Lane" in the Sequencer track for the ReDrum. Simply use the pencil tool to draw a pattern beginning on your loop start. The pattern that is drawn defaults to pattern 1 - you can easily change it if you programmed your drums in a different pattern, or if you wish to switch patterns on a later bar.

Now, no matter what bar you move this pattern to, it will trigger step one at the start. You can even move it off the grid (or to a different beat) to create off-beat patterns or other interesting effect. Make sense?
USA
Old 2012-03-16, 09:28

Hi,

Thanks for the help I can't believe how great these forums are,

I think it's a combination of both factors from the two replies, I think I am setting the resolution wrong, yes i agree the limited basic music knowledgeis a hindrance,

The second answer seems to help a lot, no, I am not starting at bar 1, or on the bar even , I am honing in on specific sections to get as detailed as I can, I'm kind of wanting to do it when and where I see fit to detail my song,

I'm setting steps to 6/8 time and have little idea as to which "resolution" to use, I am making a song about toys and it features a marching band type snare sound, the fills change constantly to create better hooks that sync into the song better.

The selig answer sorted it, works like a charm