Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-03-21, 03:08
keytarhero

Reason user in denial—Is Reason a toy?

I'm beginning to realize that what outsiders (non-Reason users) have been telling me since I've been using Reason since version 1 is perhaps true. And if I can embrace that, I can have less heated debates with them and more fun with the software.

It may in fact be a toy, or novelty DAW as they say. Whatever. There is no video support, no MIDI-Out, no audio quantize, it can't even act as a ReWire host (which still seems odd), and now this new, rather cute idea of having a store to sell "proprietary plug-ins"... It is quite the novelty. It lacks many options that would make it a DAW catered towards a true professional. It's becoming more "cute" in the new light. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Rack Extensions is still an "inside the box" idea (I mean that literally and it's a play on Propellerhead words) However, it's a fun idea. I suppose they see it making them money and that's what's most important (that's not a zinger, but rather a true statement about any business out to make money). But I think they are hindering some users' creativity with the constant limitations—I do have to say that. I'm new to the forum, but am seeing much debate over several different issues and features users have been rallying for. Wow. Not sure if I should chime in on any of that. It's scary in there! Lol. I think many people want like me, for their hero team to go pro (and I don't mean strapping cameras on their heads lol).

Funny how so many people defend "the mold" of what Reason was based on, while Propellerhead breaks all their rules along the way lol. Just go "all in" already! Much like Apple dropped the regular ol' "Macbook" and now there is just the "Air" and "Pro." Perhaps the current Reason can become "Essentials" and then there could be a "Pro" version that offers everything a pro DAW needs to work in a professional studio? Then the nay-sayers could avoid going pro? I dunno =\

I'm still a huge fan of Reason, but I'm realizing amongst my cohorts that if I embrace it for what it is and not deny it, things will be easier. Denial ain't no river in Egypt! I guess I've always been a huge fanboy of Props and get offended when my buddies in the studios call it a toy. Oh well. Embrace and move on. Looking forward to having fun with this software even if we call it a damn video game! So there!

Reason knows very well what their target market is and they intend to stick to it (although, sometimes it seems their target market is their staff). I suppose if I want those other pro features, I'll need to go elsewhere. There's nobody stopping me.

So, on that note, any rack extensions folks are particularly looking forward to?

Last edited by keytarhero; 2012-03-21 at 04:08. Reason: spelling errors =O
Old 2012-03-21, 03:37

Reason is a music application that does a very specific job and it does it VERY well. If you are looking for a Swiss army knife tool then something like Pro tools is a better fit. Also things like audio quantize is a fairly new thing for DAW's to do. On top of that Rack Extensions is actually a more powerful format than VST for example for no other reason than CV routing.

At the end of the you need to create music, and you need to use the best tool for YOU to do that.

Now as far as rack extensions I am hoping for I would LOVE Minimonsta (gforce) and the Amp simulators from softtube. I hope they port those over!
Old 2012-03-21, 04:02

At the end of the day you still use Reason to make good music.
Old 2012-03-21, 04:07
keytarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampolice View Post
Reason is a music application that does a very specific job and it does it VERY well. If you are looking for a Swiss army knife tool then something like Pro tools is a better fit. Also things like audio quantize is a fairly new thing for DAW's to do. On top of that Rack Extensions is actually a more powerful format than VST for example for no other reason than CV routing.

At the end of the you need to create music, and you need to use the best tool for YOU to do that.

Now as far as rack extensions I am hoping for I would LOVE Minimonsta (gforce) and the Amp simulators from softtube. I hope they port those over!
Just checked out Minimonsta—that looks fun! It also seems feasible they can get it to fit in the rack.

As a Reason user, I've always disliked Pro Tools. So, the hesitation to transition is due to bias for the wrong reasons. I suppose as I became more involved in music, I began to realize the features that Reason lacked to get a professional project done (such as writing music for movies or commercials). I suppose they don't think their market should be doing that (I'm not sure if that is the message they try to send, but it's the action they've taken...or not taken).
Old 2012-03-21, 04:10
keytarhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nites View Post
At the end of the day you still use Reason to make good music.
That certainly is the goal
Old 2012-03-21, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytarhero View Post
I suppose as I became more involved in music, I began to realize the features that Reason lacked to get a professional project done (such as writing music for movies or commercials).
I can understand the frustration if you're writing for media and such but I'm sure there are ways to work around that. I think it becomes less of a "toy" as the user gains knowledge and experience in production. When I started using it in high school it had a "toy" feel to it because I really didn't know anything at all about music production.
Old 2012-03-21, 05:25

Call it a toy all you want, but I've made some money off of it, and hope to make lots more this year. Rack Extensions are smart, and with the sandboxing feature makes sure Reason don't crash because of a plugin.

M-ManLA.com
Facebook.com/mmanla
Old 2012-03-21, 05:33

I have that problem with writing for film, but chose the tool for the job.

I don't have a rack of hardware analogue synth modules. So I got Reason. And it's awesome for that. I can't afford a Moog (not sure how the filters compare, but....) and many people are the same.

Reason gives me those tools.

If I want to write in music notation for video, Logic has the best notation implementation (besides Sibelius for proTools) and now Logic is only $200. So if you have different jobs, you should have different tools.

Hard to make a living as a landscaper with lawnmower but no leaf blower or weed whacker (see: using a "DAW" but not having Reason)

Of course, this is just me, but sometimes the right tool for the job looks like a toy. Doesn't mean you can't do WORK with it!
Old 2012-03-21, 06:43

I've never understood this obsession with trying to make the DAW fit you and not the other way around? If it doesn't fit into your workflow structure or doesn't have what you need then move onto something else.
Personally I love working in reason and if it doesnt do something then I find a work around.
Old 2012-03-21, 07:02

Daws are toys and tools also.

I find Reason has a spectacular audio engine and has been marred only by it's core effects. Don't get me wrong- I love them, the sound mangling ones esp- but many of them are long in the tooth.

So I think ReRacks is going to be awesome. I see the Softube Trident in one of the screenshots. It will not be cheap but we Reason users will have the option now of top bracket effects without Rewiring into a master host. Bring it on.

And maybe for those people strangely obsessed with Video support within a DAW some ReRack may offer it.