Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-04-22, 05:26

use main mixer with outputs other than 1-2

Hi.
I am using reason 6 with rewire and cubase.
I want to view and manipulate audio outputs of devices in the main mixer... and send them out via different outputs than 1-2 to my DAW.
For example I want an ID8 to go through a main mixer channel, then out to audio output 3-4, and a Thor synth to go through a main mixer channel, then out to audio output 5-6...
But the main mixer seems to only show output that is sent to audio output 1-2...
Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.
Old 2012-04-22, 10:34

Flip the rack round, and take the audio from the direct out of each mixer channel to the individual outs of the input/output rack module at the top of your rack. You can have loads of outputs to another DAW through rewire
Old 2012-04-24, 01:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
Flip the rack round, and take the audio from the direct out of each mixer channel to the individual outs of the input/output rack module at the top of your rack. You can have loads of outputs to another DAW through rewire
Hi. Yep. And thanks for responding (-:
I was aware of that ... but that is not the question I am asking...
Apparently it isnt possible... or noone knows how to do it (including me)
Old 2012-04-24, 01:44

I get it. Yes, you can do this. Flip the rack around and check the mix channels. See the Direct Out connection? Hook that up to the hardware outputs.
Old 2012-04-24, 06:45

but if you use direct outs does it bypass the sends, or are they included in the signal chain just pre-master bus?
Brutally Simple Analogue Percussion Refill

Some film/game/spot comps:
www.soundcloud.com/lmnlm3
Old 2012-04-24, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakrum View Post
but if you use direct outs does it bypass the sends, or are they included in the signal chain just pre-master bus?
they aren't included in the direct out. to do this you would need 8 separate sends for each channel and as many duplicates of each effect chain as your channels. if you want send fx on a channel and for it to be isolated you can put it in the insert fx with a 6:2
Old 2012-04-24, 20:18

But this is lousy if you want to use the same reverb for a bunch of tracks... I don't know, I don't use rewire, so I guess you use fx and sends and mixing all in the other DAW, huh? (I always mix and what not in reason, only export stems to other daws for certain fx and/or mastering)
Brutally Simple Analogue Percussion Refill

Some film/game/spot comps:
www.soundcloud.com/lmnlm3
Old 2012-04-24, 22:09

Here's my default live showing routing .reason template.
It has outputs 1-6 routed via combinators.
Outputs 1 & 2 contain the click which gets sent to the drummer.
Outputs 3 & 4 are my in ear mix
Outputs 5 & 6 has the mix that gets sent to the board

3-4 and 5-6 have a split signal but individual output gain controls.

Each combinator is labeled for what it does with graphics to easily identify.
If I'm not using an output for a particular song I connect a Dead Route combinator to that output. Which in the file I attached is connected to the click track output.
https://www.box.com/s/5c83f5eb013300d27e24
Old 2012-04-24, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakrum View Post
But this is lousy if you want to use the same reverb for a bunch of tracks... I don't know, I don't use rewire, so I guess you use fx and sends and mixing all in the other DAW, huh? (I always mix and what not in reason, only export stems to other daws for certain fx and/or mastering)
you could always route the send fx returns to hardware outputs.
Old 2012-04-26, 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
I get it. Yes, you can do this. Flip the rack around and check the mix channels. See the Direct Out connection? Hook that up to the hardware outputs.
Hi. Sorry, that's not what I mean.
Maybe I should be clearer:

Say I have a Thor playing through 1-2 on the hardware outputs (which is the default)...
This thor will be going through the SSL mixer and I will see its level as it plays, plus I will be able to apply eq, compression etc... and it will be available on the MIX 1-2 inputs in my DAW

Now if I connect the output of this thor to 3-4 on the hardware outputs, I no longer see it in the SSL mixer and cannot eq, compress etc...
In that situation, I _can_ see the output in my DAW and do stuff to it there..., however:
I want to go through the SSL mixer, then out to different outputs to my DAW (e.g. 3-4)... I want this because I am greedy and then have the benefit of eqing and compressing in the reason SSL mixer, as well having the instrument on _separate_ inputs into my DAW...

I hope that makes things clearer ...