Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-04-24, 20:51

Cool Can Reason Refills Sounds Compare To Hi-Quality VST Sounds?

Can Reason Refills Sounds Compare To Hi-Quality VST Sounds?

Are there any refills that can compare to VST plugins like Nexus, Goliath, Ministry of Rock, Gypsy and Hypersonic 2?
Old 2012-04-24, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychew View Post
Can Reason Refills Sounds Compare To Hi-Quality VST Sounds?

Are there any refills that can compare to VST plugins like Nexus, Goliath, Ministry of Rock, Gypsy and Hypersonic 2?
A bit of an 'apples vs oranges' question.

VST plugins are devices - refills are patches/samples for devices.

So you need to compare reason devices to vst plugin devices -- not reason patches to vst plugin devices.

If you sampled a sound from a vst plugin then loaded the sample into NN-XT, it would sound pretty much the same as the plugin, unless you did a poor job sampling.

people make reason refills to emulate all sorts of other synth devices by sampling, using sound design (creating synth patches), using effects, or a combination of any/all.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-04-24, 21:11

What are the the best ones? How do I get a bass for example that has the same guts as you hear in Above And Beyond tracks?? I know how to make a good bass line in the F Major Key but it lacks any guts. And the Reason Refills that come with the program are horrid for the most part..

Last edited by chunkychew; 2012-04-24 at 21:14.
Old 2012-04-24, 21:12

It's really such a vast, general comparison that it's impossible to answer - not to mention the dependence on the user's ear to decide which they like better. Therein lies the problem: it's opinion based. Each program has their thing that another can't do, though.
Old 2012-04-24, 21:37

Quote:
And the Reason Refills that come with the program are horrid for the most part..
Perhaps read up on sound design &/or synthesis, then use the available tools in Reason to create what you want/need/envision.

EDIT:

Quote:
How do I get a bass for example that has the same guts as you hear in Above And Beyond tracks??
Having listened to a handful of tracks - admittedly on YouTube (not the best sound quality) - they seems to use quite a bit of sub bass to underpin, and the EQing comes across as very precise. You might want, as has already been suggested, to look at the mixing as well as the sculpting of all the devises/sounds/frequencies in your tracks. Basses (any instrument) cannot be judged when soloed, they have to be in context.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC

Last edited by TheFatControlleR; 2012-04-24 at 21:50.
Old 2012-04-24, 21:39

Quote:
What are the the best ones? How do I get a bass for example that has the same guts as you hear in Above And Beyond tracks?? I know how to make a good bass line in the F Major Key but it lacks any guts. And the Reason Refills that come with the program are horrid for the most part..
A lot of the final qualities of a sound come from mixing - effects and how they are used.

You can do a few things if you don't like the preset sounds...

Take a preset that's close to what you want, and experiment with changing various parameters to see if you can get more of what you are looking for.

Or, choose a preset and put the device with that preset loaded into a combinator, then add effect device(s) to the combi and again, experiment with changing parameters.

It all comes down to sound design, which does take time to learn.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-04-24, 22:06

Is there any awesome refills?? Just play a couple of synths or bass patches on Nexus, you can make a song right then and there that has power and quality. i have never heard such quality in Reason Combinator Patches or Thor Patches that compares to the top plugins..
Old 2012-04-24, 22:11

Quote:
Just play a couple of synths or bass patches on Nexus, you can make a song right then and there that has power and quality.
There's your answer then.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
Old 2012-04-24, 22:37

That or the huge refill thread at the top of the user forum
Old 2012-04-25, 01:38

I do hope we get a good synth or 3 in 6.5, I have been trying to get a big (see: massive) bass sound for a very long time in Reason, and I don't feel I've ever come close. I'm no master of sound design like some here (in this very thread, I'd wager!) but I know enough that I'm fairly confident that it's not going to happen. And to sample Massive patches into NNXT.... I guess I could try to sell it as a refill to make up for the agony just to get away from VSTs.... (thinking standalone massive, as I generally hate the idea of plugins)
Brutally Simple Analogue Percussion Refill

Some film/game/spot comps:
www.soundcloud.com/lmnlm3