Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-05-04, 16:00

Lightbulb "Set original tempo" for audio clips

Whenever an audio file without tempo data is imported into Reason, it assumes that the tempo of that file is the current song tempo. If for example the song tempo is 130bpm and I want to import a vocal that's originally at 125bpm, I first need to set 125 as the song tempo, then import the vocal and then change the song tempo back to 130 so the vocal is stretched correctly.

Having some kind of a "set original tempo" option in the context menu of each audio clip where one could input the bpm manually would fix this. Just import the audio file, then set its original tempo to whatever (125 in this example case), and Reason would stretch that audio clip according to the song tempo. Selecting multiple audio clips and entering a tempo would obviously set their original tempo to that same given value.

This was one small feature that I missed in Record 1.0 when I first tried it. I was a bit disappointed when it still wasn't present in Reason 6.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-05-04, 16:18

Lightbulb

Audio quantize.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
Old 2012-05-04, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakce View Post
Whenever an audio file without tempo data is imported into Reason, it assumes that the tempo of that file is the current song tempo. If for example the song tempo is 130bpm and I want to import a vocal that's originally at 125bpm, I first need to set 125 as the song tempo, then import the vocal and then change the song tempo back to 130 so the vocal is stretched correctly.

Having some kind of a "set original tempo" option in the context menu of each audio clip where one could input the bpm manually would fix this. Just import the audio file, then set its original tempo to whatever (125 in this example case), and Reason would stretch that audio clip according to the song tempo. Selecting multiple audio clips and entering a tempo would obviously set their original tempo to that same given value.

This was one small feature that I missed in Record 1.0 when I first tried it. I was a bit disappointed when it still wasn't present in Reason 6.

Thoughts?
Not sure I'm following you 100% here: if I load an audio file from a song @100 BPM into a song @ 120 BPM, the audio will be in SYNC with 120 BPM. If I "disable stretch", the audio will be at it's original 100 BPM tempo (equal to "set original tempo" as per your suggestion).

So unless I'm missing something, this feature is already available - what other scenarios are you hoping to cover with this suggestion? :-)
USA
Old 2012-05-04, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Not sure I'm following you 100% here: if I load an audio file from a song @100 BPM into a song @ 120 BPM, the audio will be in SYNC with 120 BPM. If I "disable stretch", the audio will be at it's original 100 BPM tempo (equal to "set original tempo" as per your suggestion).

So unless I'm missing something, this feature is already available - what other scenarios are you hoping to cover with this suggestion? :-)
Yes, if the audio file has been exported from Reason, it does have the tempo data. Audio files created with some other software might not have that tempo data, in which case Reason assumes their tempo is the same as the current song tempo, which is the "problem" here.
Old 2012-05-06, 17:00

Quote:
Yes, if the audio file has been exported from Reason, it does have the tempo data. Audio files created with some other software might not have that tempo data, in which case Reason assumes their tempo is the same as the current song tempo, which is the "problem" here.
So you are asking for a way to calculate the tempo of any audio file? This one may be tougher than 'set original tempo'… :-)
USA
Old 2012-05-06, 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
So you are asking for a way to calculate the tempo of any audio file? This one may be tougher than 'set original tempo'… :-)
No, I'm asking for a way to manually tell Reason the tempo of an audio clip, so it can properly timestretch it according to the song tempo.

Imagine having a song that's 120bpm and you import an audio clip without tempo data, but you know it's at 110bpm. Reason (rightfully) then assumes that the audio clip is also 120bpm and doesn't timestretch it or mess about, and I then have to manually timestretch it (which isn't a problem, but takes some unnecessary time). If I could manually tell Reason the original tempo of the audio clip (110bpm), Reason would then be able to timestretch the clip for me in no time, as it would if the audio file had tempo data.
Old 2012-05-06, 21:36

then set your project to 110 before importing and then once imported set it back to 120 ?
Old 2012-05-06, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSTmusic View Post
then set your project to 110 before importing and then once imported set it back to 120 ?
That's what I've been doing, but it's a bit clumsy workaround. Also, if I remember the clip's tempo incorrectly or just want to mess with it quickly, I need to re-import the whole audio file again to reset the assumed tempo of the clip instead of just entering a new value into a dialog.
Old 2012-05-07, 17:15

Quote:
No, I'm asking for a way to manually tell Reason the tempo of an audio clip, so it can properly timestretch it according to the song tempo.

Imagine having a song that's 120bpm and you import an audio clip without tempo data, but you know it's at 110bpm. Reason (rightfully) then assumes that the audio clip is also 120bpm and doesn't timestretch it or mess about, and I then have to manually timestretch it (which isn't a problem, but takes some unnecessary time). If I could manually tell Reason the original tempo of the audio clip (110bpm), Reason would then be able to timestretch the clip for me in no time, as it would if the audio file had tempo data.
OK, makes sense. I guess as more apps include tempo like Reason does, then it would be less of a problem. But if the file comes from a different reason song, then tempo is imbedded automatically. I don't know how you already know the tempo of your audio, but you can use Reason to imbed tempo on any audio track (for future use).

Other wise, and like others have said, set the tempo before import. It's just a matter of semantics here with files of known tempos:

you want:
import the file
get info
type in the correct tempo and click OK.

Currently you have to:
type in the new tempo first,
import the file, and
type in the old tempo

Both take three steps to accomplish, so there's probably not going to be a huge rush by the programmers to change the order of these steps. While your solution is a bit more elegant, there would be no real time-saving advantage of changing the current workflow IMO! Or am I overlooking something crucial here? :-)
USA
Old 2012-05-07, 19:05

I would really like to have a PITCH to tempo future! that would be awesome!