Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-05-07, 02:14

Question Ok...Why can't you have Funk elements in Dub Step?

Someone was telling me you can't mix Funk with Dub Step.

Why? Apparently House and Dub Step are ok, but Funk is a no no?

I don't get it.

So I created this:

Loading SoundCloud…

I guess it's Funk Step.

JD
Old 2012-05-07, 02:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavison67 View Post
Someone was telling me you can't mix Funk with Dub Step.

Why? Apparently House and Dub Step are ok, but Funk is a no no?

I don't get it.

So I created this:

Loading SoundCloud…

I guess it's Funk Step.

JD
That's cool man; I'm all for mixing genres. To me this sounds along the lines of Electro-House though.

~*Ryan Mals*~

Old 2012-05-07, 02:38

Ah...

Electro House....

I just didn't know what to call it.

That the thing, I just don't know the names of anything anymore...

LOL

JD
Old 2012-05-07, 06:04

koan sound mixes funk elements into their dubstep tracks. They also are users of Reason.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-05-07, 09:39

There is nothing wrong with mixing funk and dubstep, whoever told you that doesn't seem to understand much about the genre. Generally I see true dubstep as being of two varieties (excluding modern dubstep which I don't call dubstep at all, I call it kids everywhere thinking they're DJ's for adding a weak LFO bass wobble to their favourite tracks, often the tracks reflects their poor taste in music..)

These two varients I see as the darker side to dubstep, the more chilled out stuff, more downtempo, with a very deep bass, thats meant to be felt and not heard, this kind of dubstep is more about SOUL, and is taken from electro, house, garage. Well pretty much any genre can inspire any type of music, there are no rules, and if a musician finds inspiration from a certain thing, this can reflect in what they make.

The other varient I see is more in the electro house side of things, you can get dubstep which is a bit more upbeat, with funk in it, this is more music you can dance to, whereas the darker stuff is more for listening to alone, stuff like mount kimbie.

I don't even think it matters what genre something is, sound is sound, and when arranged by someone with a creative mind and some emotion and feeling, it creates music. That's all there is to it.
Old 2012-05-07, 14:36

I agree, I'm more of a freeform, kind of creator. Many times I don't try for a particular style. I just sit down and see what happens. Reason is good in this way, as it gives me a chance to surprise myself when I take elements from different styles and put them together. Often I find this can blow through writers block and open up new musical possibilities. Now i'm not saying everything is perfect when I'm done, or that every song is a masterpiece, but I find that the things I stumble upon in this process often crop up again, in better songs later.

Thanks for the feedback!

JD
Old 2012-05-07, 18:47

I've always been of the mindset that any genre can be combined with any other. It just takes a little patience and a lot of playing around.

durn.newgrounds.com/audio/

soundcloud.com/durn
Old 2012-05-07, 23:54

Can't see why not... sometimes the Dubstep sound needs more melodic content... can still be sick as you like, but have some funk about it... take DrumnBass... some of the Dubstep I'm hearing at the moment is similar to what some DnB heads call 'clownstep' or 'wobble', purely because of the tones and LFO wobbliness. Now you can do it with melodies, but most at the moment use like single notes with some pitch bend up maybe or down etc to sort of 'force' a melody.

now take Neurofunk under the DrumnBass umbrella - very melodic in places and super funky when written correctly.. if dubstep went down this route more (my ideal is Sub Focus's "Can this be real" dubstep version) then I'd freely mix up some nasty dubstep with some neuro-dub-funk to get some flow....

my 2€ worth (would say cents but since I'm over UK and recession is kicing in again lol gotta dive to the Euros)

ReQ·131 in the RE Store:
http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...31-31-band-eq/

Lab:One Recordings (C) 2011-2012
http://www.lab-one-recordings.co.uk
Old 2012-05-08, 00:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavison67 View Post
I just didn't know what to call it.

That the thing, I just don't know the names of anything anymore...
Just do music you used to know as a particular genre, and add combinations of "step", "electro", and "core" to it.
Old 2012-05-08, 01:17

Yes.
I find that I am not capable of sticking just to one style. I find so many interesting. With me it's best if I just create and categorize later.

JD