Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-06-18, 01:17

Meter modes for ALL channels

I find it a bit odd that although you can freely select different meter modes for the master channel, you are stuck with VU mode for individual channels.

Its ok for seeing the general level of things but it's really, really handy to see peak levels and we need this to be implemented. Especially when mixing drums and sharp stabby sounds, its a pain in the arse to solo and reference peak levels on the master channel.

Please!! Give us different meter modes for individual channels!!!
Old 2012-06-18, 01:27

Most definitely! It`s really a pain at the current state...
Old 2012-06-18, 22:38

Wink Pre fader Metering

They need pre fader Metering options for mixing and tracking it make it easy to see what cliping
Old 2012-06-18, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketmoney View Post
They need pre fader Metering options for mixing and tracking it make it easy to see what cliping
Since you can't clip inside of Reason, this wouldn't help. The only place you can clip is the hardware outputs (and hardware inputs, of course!).

But I still agree with having Peak meters on channels, and if they were Pre Fader/mute you can see activity on muted channels (like a real SSL, mind you!), which I find VERY useful. :-)
USA
Old 2012-06-19, 00:37

You can't clip inside Reason? That is good to know because it is what I've always worried about! Would still be handy to see peak levels though without having to reference the master channel
Old 2012-06-19, 01:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmcc84 View Post
You can't clip inside Reason? That is good to know because it is what I've always worried about! Would still be handy to see peak levels though without having to reference the master channel
Yes, I agree.

BTW, you can't clip INSIDE of reason because it's 32 bit floating point, which gives a theoretical headroom of 1500 dB! But wait, there's more - since Reason's mix bus is 64 bit, you actually have a whopping 3000 dB of headroom in the mixer. So there's really no chance of clipping with that much room to spare…

Now the outputs, having less headroom, ARE easy to clip! :-)
USA
Old 2012-06-19, 11:09

Ah cool thanks for that info selig really handy to know that! I never knew there was actually so much headroom inside reasons mixer! This may be a silly question but does that only apply to the mixer channels? If you were to be red lining on malstroms output that would surely distort right?
Old 2012-06-19, 11:27

I wrote about that FS months ago and say Yes again.
Old 2012-06-19, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmcc84 View Post
Ah cool thanks for that info selig really handy to know that! I never knew there was actually so much headroom inside reasons mixer! This may be a silly question but does that only apply to the mixer channels? If you were to be red lining on malstroms output that would surely distort right?
ONLY if the output is distorting - internal distortion of the 'analog' variety (requiring gain staging between all modules) isn't happening in a floating point system.

Redlining? There is a confusing meter option called VU offset that makes folks think individual channels are "in the red". You can turn it off if you like! There's no CLIP lights on any individual channels though, because (as I mentioned) they can't be clipped. So the whole "redlining" thing isn't relevant, any more than using VU meters instead of Peak meters on channels. :-)
USA
Old 2012-06-19, 16:34

selig turned me onto that in a thread awhile back and the VU offset knob is on the Hardware Interface Big Meter; just turn it to 5 o’clock and forget it.

As selig says, it’s only visual and doesn’t affect your mix in any way. But, not having “red” in the individual channels looks much better when you’re showing a file to a client.