Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-18, 14:04

Sample browser is slower than ever.

I've been using Reason since version 3, and the sample browser was always kind of a pain. But after installing 6.5 and all the new rack extensions, it's even slower! I can't even go from one sample to another without waiting several minutes just to preview a sample. This is way too detrimental to my workflow.

Is there anything I can do the increase the performance? I'm running a brand new computer. I have way too much ram here... what other specs should I be concerned with when it comes to this?
Old 2012-06-18, 15:18

your hard drive and maybe the structure of your samples folder. It`S better to divide it into subgroups. BTW, I just checked: If I access the sample folder of the Fairlight Refill, which contains a lot, it`s taking 6 seconds to preload in 6.5, which is much faster than 6.02. I have also noticed speed increases the more you use that folder, i.e. the second time this took only 2 seconds. Which is pretty fast imo considering it houses almost 1000 samples. Again, maybe don`t throw your samples all together.
Anyway, if this is really true that although you got a new machine with lots of ram, it still takes minutes, then there might be something wrong elsewhere.
I got a Western Digital Black Caviar and no problems.
Old 2012-06-18, 22:40

I have also noticed that everything seems, just that bit snappier,certainly browsing seems sharper,and loading and saving songs appears to be faster..just a quickie,if anyone can advise..I bought an SSD a a coupl of weeks back,haven't fitted it yet,but on the strength of previous advice I'll be sticking the OS on that,which means I'll have a spare hard drive,(I only use my PC for Reason,an when I had it built around 12 months ago had 2 hard drives fitted),with the OS on 1,and Reason on the other,so, Refills on the spare?...cheers.
Old 2013-04-03, 12:11

unfortunately this is still the case.

the browser is much too slow°!!!

WTF !!
Old 2013-04-03, 14:23

As a developer, I can tell you that if it takes that long in any recently-ish hardware (less than 5 years old), it's all about the software, not because the machine is "slow" or because you "need an SSD".

If Reason needs to read a lot of metadata from each sample/preset file, then the Props should cache those (they almost never change anyway), and add indexes for quicker search / retrieval. It's not rocket science.

Probably they just used the lazy way out, and used the basic OS file operations, scanning each file individually, etc, but that, while it could have been "good enough" back in the day, it's not really good today where we have with tons of presets and samples.

I'm sure they know it, and will overhaul the browser at some point (7.5? 8?).

Another lazy cop-out pain point is the bitmap, non resizable, UI. Good enough when we had 72 dpi monitors back in 2001, not good anymore in the hi-dpi era -- it makes everything tiny. With a Retina it should even be totally unusable.