Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-06-19, 03:29

Which REs did you buy and why?

I ended up taking the plunge on the Softube FET compressor. I bought an expensive mic a while back and lacking any decent hardware compression options (none, rather), I thought I'd try it out. I wasn't expecting to hear much of a difference with the Reason stock, but it seemed to warm and tighten things up in a surprisingly pleasant way. I like the parallel knob, and it seems to take kindly to most tweaking - it's not hard to get good sounds out of.

So my money is spent, but I'd love to hear how other users are fairing... Did anything surprise you? What should we save up for?
Old 2012-06-19, 03:43

IMO it sounds like you made a smart buy!

For me: Polar
Why: of all the things available, it just has so many creative possibilities.
Old 2012-06-19, 04:20

I bought Pulsar and Saturation Knob

Nothing else is in my budget right now, but I have an extra paycheck (side job) coming in about a month, which I plan to utilize on RE's.

Here's my wish list - In order of desire:

Polar
BitSpeak
Buffre
Etch Red
FET Compressor
TSAR-1
Radical Piano
Trident A-Range

At today's pricing, that totals $702. $838 after the promo prices go away.

So I'll probably purchase FET, A-Range, and TSAR first to utilize the savings of $136 which just about pays for Polar, Bitspeak, and Buffre.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-06-19, 04:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post

Polar
BitSpeak
Buffre
Etch Red
FET Compressor
TSAR-1
Radical Piano
Trident A-Range

This is almost my exact list minus Radical Piano. In place of Radical Piano I would add in one of the synths coming up, either the Poly Six or the Gforce synth.
“Come now, and let us REASON together” Isaiah 1:18

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-06-19, 04:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
IMO it sounds like you made a smart buy!

For me: Polar
Why: of all the things available, it just has so many creative possibilities.
Polar is ILL!! you know what would be dope a 008 refill with Polar involved!! maybe synth nation 2 or something!! Polar is no joke.. I am currently trying it but i have to buy it!!!!
Old 2012-06-19, 05:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upright View Post
This is almost my exact list minus Radical Piano. In place of Radical Piano I would add in one of the synths coming up, either the Poly Six or the Gforce synth.
Oh, yeah... I forgot to add to my post --- it's based on what's in the shop today. No predicting what will happen to my list when more devices hit the shop.

definitely +1 for poly six. going to be hard to turn down any synth offerings.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-06-19, 09:08

I would say get the Ozone Maximizer because it's in a class (or 2) above the MClass Maximizer. Great Device.
http://www.izotope.com/products/audi...UsersGuide.pdf
Old 2012-06-19, 13:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaKaos View Post
I would say get the Ozone Maximizer because it's in a class (or 2) above the MClass Maximizer. Great Device...
After I saw selig post that he was thinking of replacing the MClass Max in his Mastering Suite with Ozone instead, I had to give it a shot. OMG!, the "loudness war" is history now and the exported audio quality is just as good (not better, not worse) as with the Max in the Suite.

Members here that ReWire sing Ozone's praises all the time, but I'm 100% Reason and I'm now in heaven. BTW, It's been mentioned that if you dither in Ozone, then do not dither while exporting from Reason. It seems that dithering programs can conflict with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethday View Post
I ended up taking the plunge on the Softube FET compressor...
I've seen a lot of posts extolling the virtues of the FET for all genres. The Rough Rider compressor seems to be more suited to Hip Hop/Rap/Trance/Dance/etc., whereas the FET is much better in the mid-to-higher frequency range. As a Pop/Rock/Contemporary kind of guy, the FET is my next step and might replace the MClass Comp in my Master Suite.
Old 2012-06-19, 13:41

I've not purchased any yet because my set-up is rounding Africa in a container ship about now on it's way to Oz! But I'm hoping to get set-up on my wife's laptop (which we didn't ship) until I get properly sorted. I've already clicked 'buy' for Pulsar & Saturation knob (goes without saying, they're free!!). Very interested in Peff's Buffre & Propellerhead's Polar as well. Also like the look of the TSAR-1 reverb, which I definitely think I'll buy at some point soon. I'd like to buy the Synapse stuff because it looks like Moogerfoogers & apparently Peff thinks they sound so good he's selling his Moogerfoogers!! Also BitSpeak & Etch Red are on my shopping list & maybe the Rough Rider for an alternative compressor at a great price. I'm not that fussed about a 303 clone but if I ever feel the need to take some Acid then ABL2 will be a must buy as well
Old 2012-06-19, 13:42

So what is the Saturation knob like? Any good over the full mix? i don't have reason 6 yet so i just have to ask. Polar is free isn't it by the way?