Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-25, 05:00

Post Printed Reason manual

Call me old fashioned. Sometimes I like to study away from the computer. Sometimes I like to scribble in the margins to point up some feature or technique, or to note something that isn't actually in the documentation. Yes, you can print a PDF, and I once did so for a program whose manual was a little over 200 pages in length. The book for Reason 6.x.x would be well over 1,000 pages long.

I don't want to subject my printer to that kind of wear and tear, or pay for the ink. Then I would have to collate, punch, and load each page into a bulky three-ring binder. I'd rather spend the time making music. Having a bound hardcopy available from Props would be far more cost and time effective. I understand not wanting to ship a book with every copy of the software, but having a printed manual available (at an extra charge, of course) would be a big plus IMO.

Without creating an actual poll, I would like at least to see your collective thumb up/down.
Old 2012-06-25, 05:51

No interest here. I don't want any paper, anywhere.

But I won't give a thumbs down, because I support your desire to have a printed copy of the documentation.

There are many places online that you can send a PDF and they will print and bind it. Most offer many options on the page size, printing, paper quality, and binding.

They might require you to submit permission to have the document printed - like if they see that it is a software manual.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-06-25, 06:10

My vote is for an epub version of the manual.
Old 2012-06-25, 14:47

Thumbs up

+1 for book, its nice to sit back and read even if you are at the keyboard..
Old 2012-06-25, 15:32

?? Any ePub reader can read PDF, if yours cannot it was a fail purchase Actually I have all my manuals on my iPad.. Remember that printing manuals is expensive and cuts down the rainforest and stuff ^^
Old 2012-06-25, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
?? Any ePub reader can read PDF, if yours cannot it was a fail purchase Actually I have all my manuals on my iPad.. Remember that printing manuals is expensive and cuts down the rainforest and stuff ^^
PDF and ebook formats are not the same. An ereader or ipad rendering a pdf will shrink everything down to page size, making it much harder to read. An epub will reflow the content to make it easier to read.
Old 2012-06-25, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
... Having a bound hardcopy available from Props would be far more cost and time effective...
The bottom line: it's up to us individually to do so. You may find this thread (old but still relevant) of interest; there are suggestions and some of the posts are hilarious: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=128840 . A printer at Lulu.com seems to be popular.

Last edited by MayorMcCheese; 2012-06-25 at 16:51.
Old 2012-06-25, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch View Post
PDF and ebook formats are not the same. An ereader or ipad rendering a pdf will shrink everything down to page size, making it much harder to read. An epub will reflow the content to make it easier to read.
..and a good PDF reader (e.g. GoodReader for iPad) will do the same, that was kind of my point. Obviously PDF is a fully laid out format while epub is quite the opposite but I'm sure theres conversion tools as well if you don't have the app or the reader isn't powerful enough for such apps. But sure, why not epub as well, I just think books are quite outdated, expensive and too heavy
Old 2012-06-25, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
..and a good PDF reader (e.g. GoodReader for iPad) will do the same, that was kind of my point. Obviously PDF is a fully laid out format while epub is quite the opposite but I'm sure theres conversion tools as well if you don't have the app or the reader isn't powerful enough for such apps. But sure, why not epub as well, I just think books are quite outdated, expensive and too heavy
Kindle doesn't support reflow, neither does sony. Nook only supports single page reflow. So the major ones do not have it. The ones that support full document reflow are from the brands that most people don't buy.

Conversion tools don't always work well. Creation of an epub is best done from the source material.

What's more efficient- Propellerhead exporting their manual one time as a epub when it exports the PDF, or every propellerhead user who prefers an epub having to do the conversion themselves?
Old 2012-06-25, 17:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch View Post
What's more efficient- Propellerhead exporting their manual one time as a epub when it exports the PDF, or every propellerhead user who prefers an epub having to do the conversion themselves?
I am not arguing about the epub, I said "sure why not". I just argue about the quality of the reader software ^^