Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-06-29, 01:16

Please update Scream4's fx's.

I'm sure you guys are able to put some higher quality algorithms in the Scream4 module to get a more realistic sound. The Tape and Tube algorithms are tired and lower quality than the rest of the modules you have been putting out. Especially now with RE. Let's not forget about the current modules as analog emulation evolves and advances.
Old 2012-06-29, 04:49

The tape and tube algorithms are great. I use Scream4's tape saturation in nearly every song I write.

Latest song post: Valley of Echoes, written solely with Reason 1.0 features and sounds
Old 2012-06-29, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epithet View Post
The Tape and Tube algorithms are tired.
Tried, tested and true would be a more apt statement.

The tape is a frikken monster! As well as being capable of very ugly compression (yes, some of us like/love/need/want that sound occasionally). This has to be my most used distortion mode on basses, it brings the warmth. it's also great for rounding off sounds in a very aggressive way.

Tube... Okay, not my favourite by a long shot. It does sound thick, but not tube driven thick. However, with some careful EQ'ing you can make it sing like a shredding unit.

Most (if not all) of the Reason devices have that UNIX like philosophy. Make the tool do one thing well rather than make a tool that does most things in a moderately acceptable fashion.

I always chain things, you get a feel for a sound then sculpt it by adding more devices and there are so many options!

Ahhh, so the point I'm trying to make is this. Never rely on one single device to get the sound you want. If it does work out of the box great! If it does not don't write it off, experiment instead.

Last edited by BetraX; 2012-06-29 at 15:15. Reason: added a point to the garbled mess.
Old 2012-06-29, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelmoose View Post

Most (if not all) of the Reason devices have that UNIX like philosophy. Make the tool do one thing well rather than make a tool that does most things in a moderately acceptable fashion.
I'm touched to read this sentence here... I use UNIX every day and I keep
a copy of "The UNIX philosophy" on my bookcase.

I agree with you: indeed there are many affinity between these two worlds...

Cheers,
Alessandro Cavagni
Old 2012-06-29, 17:44

Changing the device would destroy previous work that has been done with it. I wouldn't dare touch it if I were a dev. That said, nothing wrong with having another audiodestroyer like Scream4 as an RE, which I'm sure is always a possibility.
Old 2012-06-29, 18:36

Quote:
I'm sure you guys are able to put some higher quality algorithms in the Scream4 module to get a more realistic sound. The Tape and Tube algorithms are tired and lower quality than the rest of the modules you have been putting out. Especially now with RE. Let's not forget about the current modules as analog emulation evolves and advances.

It sounds like you want more subtle distortion effects.

Pulverizer and the free Saturation REs are great units for more subtle distortion. Im not sure if they are doing a tube or tape style distortion but they do sound good and should give you some more variety.

Scream 4 probably shouldn't be changed but one thing that might be nice is if they made an oversampling switch on it which usually gives a higher quality distortion effect.
Old 2012-06-29, 23:03

The props have generally avoided putting out updates to older devices to preserve backwards compatibility, basically, a song you made 4 years ago on an old version should and does sound exactly the same in a current version.

Changing the algorithms in Scream would obviously break this. Adding new ones might not, but it's more likely you'll see new distortion in new devices (indeed, that's what we got in Pulverizer).

FWIW I still use tape all the time and love it. Tube, I'm not crazy about but it has it's place.
Old 2012-06-30, 05:51

I like it like that ! but I would not mind if they put a 2nd one in reason 7 like a scream 5 yhea !!!!!!!

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-06-30, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrus View Post
The props have generally avoided putting out updates to older devices to preserve backwards compatibility, basically, a song you made 4 years ago on an old version should and does sound exactly the same in a current version.

Changing the algorithms in Scream would obviously break this. Adding new ones might not, but it's more likely you'll see new distortion in new devices (indeed, that's what we got in Pulverizer).

FWIW I still use tape all the time and love it. Tube, I'm not crazy about but it has it's place.
OK, this is why you have compatibility switches. Basically, if a device is updated, the default state is "New Algo", and also when you Reset it. This setting gets saved with patches. But you can also turn it off. And when you load old patches, that setting defaults to off. There's no danger of breaking old songs, it's simple programming.
Old 2012-07-01, 17:21

Quote:
have you tried puting 2 scream 4's in a chain . . . guess not