Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-06-29, 20:44

Balance audio quality?

Hi, anyone with Balance care to comment on the audio quality?

I've got a FW410 which is dying so I'm going to buy a new interface quite soon. I've been looking at Balance as I use Reason exclusively but also considering the Saffire Pro 24 DSP as I like the idea of the VRM and RME Babyface which will mean I have to sell my Grandma but In understand the DAC's and ADC's are top notch.

I'm producing Dance music so the bottom end is important but I'm also recording guitar and vocals so bottom end isn't the whole story. I monitor on a pair of Event ALP5's and have DT770 Pro's (which are simply wonderful) for headphone work. I have a tiny crappy untreated corner of a room which I don't think actually sounds that bad considering, but I'm not sure if the extra audio quality of the Babyface will really make itself felt within the space.

Any comments including any other recommendations greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Aiden
Old 2012-06-30, 00:19

Hi,
I have had balance since it came out. I am really pleased with the clear sound and ease of setup.
I do not have any specs to compare but I do not have any complaints about balance

DK
Old 2012-06-30, 01:03

Cheers DK Nice one

Aiden
Old 2012-06-30, 02:45

You can do your own spec comparison to anything else: https://www.propellerheads.se/products/balance/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=measureme nts . I’ve had Balance in my home studio for over six months and it’s absolutely beautiful. Everything about it.

One thing about Balance that you can’t compare to anything else is the Clip Safe function: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...ne#post1084237 . Only Balance has it. And it’s absolutely beautiful. Everything about it.
Old 2012-06-30, 03:16

Thumbs up

It takes time.

When I got a pair of TLM 103 mic, it took a while for the ears to adjust to the fine detail these mics deliver.

I was using an MAudio fast track pro.

I have been using balance for a few weeks and I find I am experencing the same kind of adjustment.

Its like going to kodachrome except it's more subtle.

I am also recording at 96Khz so that is also new to me.

I say balance is thumb up.
Old 2012-06-30, 09:56

Thumbs up - a great interface with great sound quality, a wonderful handling and superb product design. For me it' s pure fun to use Balance...love the two big knobs :0))
Old 2012-06-30, 12:09

The additional feature for clip safe was really thought out. Whenever you engage it, if the audio clips you have an identical copy of your recording with gain reduction in that area. This is great when you are just using the balance alone without any additional pre-amps. I would recommend to ensure proper gain adjustment 1st, to avoid the need for it, but if you do... you never have a bad take. The quality is superb, as everyone has stated. I am comparing to also owning Steinberg, M-audio, Avid, Motu, Mackie, & Focusrite products. This one is outstanding sound. The only thing sometimes, is you may have to reboot your Balance if your USB goes to sleep.
Old 2012-06-30, 12:43

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated. I'm almost sold. Would be really interested to hear from anyone on here who has an RME Babyface though and I just wish there was some way for me to get a cheaper Balance without the addition of Reason Essentials as I obviously already have Reason.
Old 2012-06-30, 13:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated. I'm almost sold. Would be really interested to hear from anyone on here who has an RME Babyface though and I just wish there was some way for me to get a cheaper Balance without the addition of Reason Essentials as I obviously already have Reason.
Essentials is free and you can sell it.

Grum.
Old 2012-07-01, 14:53

yeah but I'd have to give the buyer my dongle for the license and then I'd be stuck when I come to replace Balance in the future (I think).