Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-01, 05:25

Importing Midi, Wav and REX files

It is extremely painful to get midi files into Reason. So to Wav files. Lesser a problem REX as the DR holds 8.

With MIDI files I either drop it on the Reason icon or go through the reason browser and it adds it to another track. I don't want it on another track - I just want to add it to the same track that plays the sample. You should be able to drag drop a midi file onto the sequencer wherever you want, just like any other DAW.

The current method is time consuming and annoying!
Old 2012-07-01, 06:11

I agree a 100%
Old 2012-07-02, 10:52

i agree too, but there is a tip if you want load 10 Midi files in one Step (on a Mac). Select your files in finder and then you can open it with Reason (right mouse click). Reason takes the current Session and load the 10 files each on a separate Track. Drag them on one Track and Delete the old Midi Tracks.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejunky View Post
i agree too, but there is a tip if you want load 10 Midi files in one Step (on a Mac). Select your files in finder and then you can open it with Reason (right mouse click). Reason takes the current Session and load the 10 files each on a separate Track. Drag them on one Track and Delete the old Midi Tracks.
Thanks for the tip Rejunky, thats what I currently do, but as you know this is hardly ideal and time efficient. You should be able to preview the midi in the browser with the sound of the current track. You should also be able to drag and drop on the sequencer at any position. Thats how you do it in pro tools, live, reaper, studio one, cubase, you name it, except reason!
Old 2012-07-02, 13:02

Reason imports 'standard midi' files. I guess what you're trying to say is importing individual midi-tracks into your session, without having to go through the trouble of deleting all other midi tracks from the 'standard' midi file-import?

Loading SoundCloud…

> My SoundCloud Page
> Hashmoder.com - my personal site/blog

Adopt pets, not styles!
Old 2012-07-02, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarhashim View Post
Reason imports 'standard midi' files. I guess what you're trying to say is importing individual midi-tracks into your session, without having to go through the trouble of deleting all other midi tracks from the 'standard' midi file-import?
The midi files I want to drag into the sequencer are like loops. They are midi loops , mainly drum midi loops. You should be able to setup a drum combinator then preview your midi loop library with the combinator then if you like a particular loop , you should then be able to drag it onto the sequencer track wherever you want it. Probably next to the last loop you dragged on. This is common feature in other daws. Reasons method is outdated, Painful, Time consuming and stupid. Its like its 10 years or more redundant . Its way behind other DAW features in importing midi or wav files.
Old 2012-11-08, 15:37

anyone know if this is being worked on with the new beta?
Old 2013-01-13, 05:04

+1

Should be able to drag and drop a MIDI file into Reason on a specific MIDI track without it ignoring what I am obviously trying to do, instead creating its own track with an ID8 on it.

Wow. Counter-intuitive and not what anyone wants I suspect.

Just hit this on 6.5.3. Instant inspiration killer.

Last edited by fizbin; 2013-01-13 at 05:06.