Propellerhead Software
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-07-02, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCX-1030 View Post
This is so tempting.

Its apparently released tomorrow here in Uk.
One price was quoted at £329.00, starting price on line can be somewhere to £399.00.
That soon? I need to get some video on the web to prepare for the masses! haha

Quote:
I'm looking to complete the Reason package with Balance and something in the range of an Axiom Pro...until this came along, it seems to have the edge tech wise in bed with Reason, but does it have build and experience that M-Audio and Akai have?
I have no good words to say about Akai keyboards, they feel like children's toys to me.

I have been a lover of M-audio keyboards for almost 3 years now. I've owned an Oxygen, 2 keystations, and an Axiom pro and have thought very highly of the Axiom pro series for quite some time now. If you were using any other DAW besides Reason then I would tell you to by an Axiom pro.

As a Reason user, even if you sometimes use other programs, I would start a rally and picket your house "Buy Nektar Tech" signs

Does it have the build?
Yes, I've described in detail in other threads, but simply put yes.

Does it have the experience?
I don't know what kind of experience but I would assume your asking about their experience in knowing what people want and implementing the best features to make the best product. If so, then yes. I've talked to one of the guys from Nektar quite a bit about how I would use said keyboard, and how I would use said feature, or how i wish this feature worked because I would use it such and such way. Generally he would tell me their original use case for said feature and how they figured the user would use. They definitely know what Reason users want and they definitely know how to implement those things in an easy to use interface.

Quote:
You know I can't help being so peeved with designers of good gear when they make silly errors like only having 12 velocity pads, after all its supposed to be modelled for reason and last time I checked Kong has 16.

The phone line to Dv247 and like will be smoking in the morning.
This was no error and thank goodness that they didn't implement 16 pads and come out with an over sized keyboard, or make the pads smaller. If you are comparing this keyboard to the axiom it only has 8 pads, which aren't even that good of pads. I might be biased in a way because I already have a dedicated pad controller. So I use the pads on the Nektar to send ASCII commands while I'm in the studio and trigger samples when I'm at a live show.

Seriously think about the design for a second. If you wanted to add 16 pads you would either have to shrink all the pads down (which people would also complain about) or extend the controller at least another 2 inches backwards. Then you have 2 inches of dead space above all the controls. So what do you do? make the screen bigger? That would be cool. Add another row of knobs? That would be cool too. Maybe even put dedicated solo and mute buttons above all the faders? Sounds like a sick controller right? Yeah it also costs $200 more and if you plan on taking it on the road you now have to buy a 61 key road case.

Ok maybe thats to drastic of a change. Perhaps if there was an extra 2 inches to accommodate for the new row of pads. The knobs and buttons could be spread out more. Only thing now is people with short arms now have to reach that much further just to take control of their keyboard. And don't even think about putting the P4 on the top shelf for live shows.

It suddenly becomes a product in a niche market that only suites a select amount of Reason users needs. Those 4 pads make all the difference in diversity of user appeal.

The Panorama has so much power for one physical device. Should Nektar really make a sacrifice for one device or have a device that's portable and studio worthy for ANY budget.

If we got every single feature we wanted from a hardware device, then Nektar would be best off making a Console to install in your studio that is designed for Reason......wait....Nektar...I know you guys read the forums and this should serious happen