Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-09, 21:05

Re SDK for all

Hi,

I'm a developer unfortunatley not at a musicsoftware producing one. It would be nice to have access to the SDK in addition to some limitations in terms of service like no support, reduced liability of propellerheads if things go wrong et al.

I have a lot of ideas to build some new Re's and would be willing to share them for free, but for now, it seems, there is no direct way to obtain the SDK from propellerheads :/
Old 2012-07-09, 21:18

I vote nay. It would just invite shovelware. Let's maintain the level of quality we've got with some level of filtering.
Old 2012-07-09, 21:22

Is it difficult to obtain a business license where you are?

I'm in San Jose, California and the business tax here is $150, but other cities have lower business taxes.

Anyway, I have a bunch of ideas for RE's which I would want to sell, but I can't program DSP... DOH!

I'm pretty sure I could design stuff in 2D and 3D for the GUI, but I don't know if I don't have the SDK.

---

In agreement with audax, I would also like to see the SDK released publicly. In part because I would like to gather a couple of programmers together and show them my ideas without breaking an NDA.

In the mean time, I'm going to apply for the SDK myself through my dad's company (I work for him).

peace,
-Cubricon
Old 2012-07-09, 21:27

I agree that "filtering" is extremely important... but that could be done at the Prop Shop where they retain control over which RE's become available and which are "shovel ware".
Old 2012-07-09, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUBRICON View Post
I agree that "filtering" is extremely important... but that could be done at the Prop Shop where they retain control over which RE's become available and which are "shovel ware".
In theory sure. But Props has limited resources, it could become a big job and some RE's that are submitted could still be "middling". I like the way things are. If you really think you could make a good RE start a company and you should be able to get an SDK.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:58

I want the SDK too, but not being part of a company (or wanting to set one up in short term for what may end up only being some hobby programming) I would like the SDK to be available to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
In theory sure. But Props has limited resources, it could become a big job and some RE's that are submitted could still be "middling". I like the way things are. If you really think you could make a good RE start a company and you should be able to get an SDK.
I agree with the need for filtering, but there are plenty of users who could provide some form of assurance prior to submission to the shop for final vetting taking a load off the props resources. Plus the ability to try before you buy means that a middling RE would simply not be bought (if only the app store had this option!)

Being part of a company doesn't necessarily bring quality - from the communications I have received regarding the SDK pedigree/ability appears to be unimportant. The current set up allows for anyone to set a company up and get in on the act which just adds a cost and not much else.

I would propose a 2 tier system - commercial and non-commercial. Commercial have priority releases, support, premium pricing, etc to ensure the smoothest path to market. Non-commercial would have to come with some form of user verification, could be limited in price range and have a lower priority.

In addition to the above, free collaborative efforts would be nice as well. Using a similar setup and ethos to a lot of the great open source applications and frameworks available these days high quality RE's could be produced and even driven by users to fill perceived gaps.

Some of the best ideas (particularly in software) tend to come from outside of established companies who have a product line to maintain first and foremost. To deny the masses would be a restriction.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:35

What exactly is this thread for? Props have already said several times the SDK will be freely available, but it's currently still in beta.
Old 2012-07-10, 11:38

The communication I have had said the SDK would be available for free, but not freely available.

Edit : forgot the quote...
"Due to the legal aspects of this agreement, only companies can qualify as developers for Rack Extensions...."

Last edited by tomduff; 2012-07-10 at 11:41.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomduff View Post
The communication I have had said the SDK would be available for free, but not freely available.

Edit : forgot the quote...
"Due to the legal aspects of this agreement, only companies can qualify as developers for Rack Extensions...."

Hmmm, fair point, but it's really not that hard to set up as a company: it's not like you have to be listed on the NASDAQ. Just do it as a self-employed sole trader, or, as MHG suggested on another thread about the same subject, band together with other individuals and form a partnership.
Old 2012-07-10, 15:03

Cool Dev Learning Center

I have a suggestion for "Props". Now that you have opened up the "rack" to development, could you setup a learning center on how to develop modules for the rack? The center could have a developer forum and a place for video tutorials on how to create and develop rack modules as well as discussions on DSP programming. This would serve several purposes. It would create a resource for Reason (potentially helping it grow)and provide tools for users as well as developers who want to learn the art of DSP programming. It would be nice for Props to opensource a couple of their rack modules so we could dissect and learn from professional code. I feel it would benefit Reason by creating a new ecosystem and help people to learn a new skill in a tough economy. Maybe some of the professional developers will contribute to the cause as it may also create a resource for them as well in locating new talent.

Just my nickel,

Cheers.