Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-07-14, 19:22

Question Any other Band-In-A-Box users here?

I have been using Band-In-A-Box (BIAB) since the mid 1990s, starting with DOS version 7, then version 11 Pro for Windows, 2006 Ultra Pack, currently on 2009 Ultra Plus Pack. I am eagerly awaiting version 2012.5 or 2013.

When I was introduced to Reason 3 in 2006 I thought it was a match made in heaven. Blow out General MIDI beds in BIAB, port them into Reason for revoicing and massaging--marvelous. At the time I had to port everything into a third DAW to record audio. Now I can do everything in two grand steps, from BIAB into Reason 6.

I have met only one other Reason user on the BIAB forums (www.pgmusic.com --> Forums), so I thought I'd approach it from the other direction. Show of hands?

Regards,

Richard

Last edited by ryszard; 2012-07-15 at 04:01. Reason: Add information
Old 2012-07-15, 03:25

Hi Richard,

I've been using BIAB since late 90's and Reason since version 1.0. Agreed it's awesome combo now.

Jp
Old 2012-07-18, 08:34

Juan,

What version of BIAB are you using now? I'd like to know anything you can tell me about the music you make and how you do it.
Old 2012-07-18, 10:21

Used to use their dos midi sequencer "power tracks" i was so damn efficient with it. Wish I could get a copy now!
Old 2012-07-18, 10:41

I believe I still have a copy of PT version 1. It came free with BIAB version 7 for DOS. Both were on one or two floppies. Problem is finding a copy of DOS, a Soundblaster 16 sound card to run it with, and a PC that will support either. Wait--I've got a 486 with a 50 Mb HD I could sell you, cheap!

These days BIAB comes with a program called Real Tracks, which is a hybrid of Power Tracks (which is still made) and BIAB. You might want to give it a shufti (look).
Old 2012-07-18, 12:21

I use BIAB. Mainly for practicing guitar.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:54

Good fellow. Working with BIAB transformed my guitar playing. Then it took me into electronic composition. The current project is making the two work together.
Old 2012-07-18, 17:27

Another BIAB user here, mostly use it to sketch out progressions and making a start on an arrangement. It's unbeatable for that. Also if you want to create quick style out of some midi passage and try it out with different progressions and keys.

I was using it just recently to check out recording RealTracks audio and midi in via midi sync as somebody in the PUF was discussing the topic of recording audio in Reason while it is synced via midi. I don't usually use it in combination with Reason at all but the option to do that is there, it does work.
Old 2012-07-18, 18:15

I've been leaning on them hard to incorporate Rewire into their products. I'm not certain whether it would be possible in BIAB, but certainly it should be in Power Tracks and RealBand.

BIAB changed my musical direction profoundly once I gave up trying to do covers and began using it as a source of inspiration. It kept coming up with things that I never would have thought of. Reason turned its General MIDI sounds into an infinite palette of which I have barely scratched the surface.
Old 2012-07-18, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
I believe I still have a copy of PT version 1. It came free with BIAB version 7 for DOS. Both were on one or two floppies. Problem is finding a copy of DOS, a Soundblaster 16 sound card to run it with, and a PC that will support either. Wait--I've got a 486 with a 50 Mb HD I could sell you, cheap!

These days BIAB comes with a program called Real Tracks, which is a hybrid of Power Tracks (which is still made) and BIAB. You might want to give it a shufti (look).
I would be def interested