Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-20, 10:57

Reason Instrument Patches recognition

Hi there Propellerheads team,

I just wanted to make a suggestion that could make a big difference to user workflow.
Reason instrument patches can become extremely hard to find as a users library grows, and if you don't stay ahead and arrange your patches in favourite folders you could find yourself searching through tons of sounds for hours, leaving very little time for creativity. This can become a drag when your creating & composing music.

1) Why not have an auto detection feature so when an instrument is opened only the necessary patches are seen in the Reason finder (you just see the refills with the instrument patches),

for example:

When your loading into Dr. Octo Rex - you just see the Refills that contain Rex files
When your loading into Thor - you just see the Refills that contain Thor patches
and so on...

I may be missing something in Reason but I don't seem to see this feature in 6.5
Old 2012-07-20, 16:55

When you search folder pops up, in the top right there should be a drop down box. From there you can choose if you just want to see thor files, combinator files, etc.
Old 2012-07-20, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanger62 View Post
When you search folder pops up, in the top right there should be a drop down box. From there you can choose if you just want to see thor files, combinator files, etc.
the drop down filters out file names once you have opened the refill and navigated into its folder structure.

what OP is asking for is for is for that filter to basically hide the refills that don't have a relevant patch in them - so you don't have to open the refill and navigate its folder structure only to discover that it contains no relevant patches.

this feature is similar in nature to requests for refills to somehow be indexed.

it could be implemented without an indexing scheme, but that would slow the browser down tremendously because it would have to first scan all refills for relevant files in order to 'know' which refills to show and which to hide.

if you've ever used picasa, i could envision a similar indexing scheme for reason that let's the user setup folders in reason where refills are located - with a manual rescan option you'd run every time you got a new refill.

reason would scan the refill folders for new refills, scan the refill, and add the patches found in new refills to the refill patch index.

when you patch browse, instead of first having to navigate folders and refills, you'd see the index of relevant patches for the device from which you are browsing - regardless of which refill they are in - just one nice big list -- it could have the patch name and refill library name - and you could sort by either.

you should still have access to the 'old fashioned' way, but i think it would be useful and streamline workflow, to just see one list of all device relevant patches - a list pulled from all refills, including FSB/Orkester.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-07-20 at 18:50.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:48

Bump for this suggestion.

The ability to tag additional meta data would be good as well. I would like to browse the patches like I browse music in a media player - i.e. show me all the Thor patches, with the tags bass, analogue, poly. The meta data would need to be editable at any point, not fixed as part of the refill packing process for this to work though.