Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-08-06, 19:49

Wink Selecting mixer channels recedes surrounding channels from view as option

If you are like me, then you know we can get carried away with the # of tracks that end up in our productions. I think a useful way to not get mixed up with the channels while mixing would be to have the option to select a channel, which would subdue/recede the view of the surrounding channels. This could also be a nice visual asthetic for Reason (similar to Vista Aero transparencies as an example ). Also, you should be to do this on multiple channels in the window by hitting ctl + clicking on several tracks at the same time.

I think that this visual option could also be applied when working with devices in the rack window. Selecting a device would only show devices that are linked/associated with that track and again dimming/receding the view of other devices around the selected one(s).

Anyone agree/disagree?
Old 2012-08-06, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchE143 View Post
If you are like me, then you know we can get carried away with the # of tracks that end up in our productions. I think a useful way to not get mixed up with the channels while mixing would be to have the option to select a channel, which would subdue/recede the view of the surrounding channels. This could also be a nice visual asthetic for Reason (similar to Vista Aero transparencies as an example ). Also, you should be to do this on multiple channels in the window by hitting ctl + clicking on several tracks at the same time.

I think that this visual option could also be applied when working with devices in the rack window. Selecting a device would only show devices that are linked/associated with that track and again dimming/receding the view of other devices around the selected one(s).

Anyone agree/disagree?
I agree, as it would work (if I'm understanding you) as the "Reduce Cable Clutter" feature does when the "Show for Selected Device Only" option is selected (cables not a part of the current selection are 50% transparent).

I'm not sure I'd want that feature each time I selected a device, so as the "reduce cable clutter" command had a key command, this feature could also have a key command.

This could also address the suggestion for a better way to identify the selected channel(s) in the mixer, as some have found the light-blue rectangle easy to miss. :-)
USA
Old 2012-08-07, 03:46

Yeah it would definitely be a handy little feature to have
Old 2012-08-07, 06:07

Remember, I'm saying this should only be an optional view features. Users should be able to decide whether or not they can use this features. So, either you have it enabled or not. Or, like you said it could be a key command. I just hate it when I'm EQ'n a track on the channel strip only to realize it's the wrong track!
Old 2012-08-07, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchE143 View Post
... I just hate it when I'm EQ'n a track on the channel strip only to realize it's the wrong track!
I know where you’re coming from, but this feature suggestion probably has 673 others ahead of it on the priority list. In the meantime, try using Window > Detach Main Mixer. That way, the Fader Section remains fixed and the channel track names are always visible.