Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-08-09, 09:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattieboy View Post
Don't get me wrong but learning to mix properly will cost much more than the cost of that e book. If you have the opportunity to intern at a studio in your area you can learn so much watching other mixing engineers work. Another great way is to listen to music that was professionally mixed, you will surprised of how much information you can pick up if you know what you are listening for. Again there are so many variables to obtaining that professional mix that deciding where to start can be mind boggling but nonetheless attainable. One of the key aspects for me when it comes to mixing is that I spend time, editing that material and setting up the mix before I start finding suitable references to use. If your tracks are sloppy and not tight making the mix sound professional will be very difficult. Professional mixes has many more aspects to it other than just mixing the tracks. I did alot of reading, studying, practicing and experimenting to this day im still doing that. Where I got a better handle on what I was doing is when I did a master certificate course with Berklee in audio production. I was able to get hands on mixing and mastering techniques. It wasn't cheap but it was worth every penny.
Yeah I never thought that book would teach me how to mix properly but I was hoping to learn some new techniques. It was very basic in my opinion. I did intern in a small time studio years ago and did learn some techniques but they always sent out their mixes down to miami to be mixed( for their tracks that were going to get major radio air time). Must have been nice to get that master certificate.