Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-08-14, 01:26

Petition to stop locking us out of our software

I understand the license agreement. I know that I have a license to run one copy at a time. What I'd like to suggest to Props is to tweak their enforcement of it. Stop locking me out because I forget to quit Reason on my other computer. It's insulting. I'm not a pirate. Just prevent me from starting a second copy. Anything but this treatment.

All who agree...
Old 2012-08-14, 01:34

Totally agree. I have getting the email warning. Using two computers is pretty damn common.
Old 2012-08-14, 02:46

I forgot once before, felt embarrassed when I got the note.

How about if you are still logged in on the other computer, Propellerhead telling you that you are logged in and then letting you proceed to Demo Mode?
Old 2012-08-14, 06:10

so by buying a copy we essentially give up the right to a demo? not having this problem, ive got one key and one system, but yeah, id be ticked too i that situation, i guess.
Old 2012-08-14, 11:12

This is a non-issue. If you have Reason on more than one machine, only use one machine at a time. It's not brain surgery, and Props are not mind-readers who can tell if the second machine is yours or someone who's nicked it. Take some responsibility.

And anything involving email notifications is impossible because of all the users who still moan that their computers don't have internet access because they had a virus in 1998. What are PH meant to do here? Start a carrier pigeon breeding program?

No, the actual thing that is a problem is the authorization server constantly freezing up, preventing one from doing anything on any machine!
Old 2012-08-14, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
This is a non-issue. If you have Reason on more than one machine, only use one machine at a time. It's not brain surgery, and Props are not mind-readers who can tell if the second machine is yours or someone who's nicked it. Take some responsibility.

And anything involving email notifications is impossible because of all the users who still moan that their computers don't have internet access because they had a virus in 1998. What are PH meant to do here? Start a carrier pigeon breeding program?

No, the actual thing that is a problem is the authorization server constantly freezing up, preventing one from doing anything on any machine!
But you know that it doesn't matter if the other machine is mine or not, the license clearly states use it on one at a time. I don't understand this attitude that if I violate the license that I should be *LOCKED OUT* of something that I purchased. I'm not a serf.

And they don't need to assume that because Reason is running in two places that the laptop was probably stolen. What's so insecure about a window popping up going "error, error, Reason is already running with this license" and politely close? And if the ignition key is in, automatically close the one that doesn't (giving me a chance to save my work)? Why is that not better than LOCKING ME OUT?!

What it boils down to is I've plunked down nearly $500 to use the software, and Props should be treating me like a customer, not a pirate. Propellerhead would not exist without me. It's inappropriate, to say the least, for them to be locking me out of it in any shape or form. It's not my "job", or "responsibility", to avoid what they decided should be like some sort of punishment for making the simple mistake of forgetting to shut down Reason. How do you reach that I ought to be "responsible" for the actions of a software house? That's like saying, "Don't like being strip-searched at the airport? Then don't look suspicious!"

As for the offline issue Jiggery, that's more of a non-issue than this if you ask me. Precisely because there is nothing Props can do about it. Nothing in the software world can ever be air-tight, and what people without internet do has nothing to do with me. Anyway Reason IS more an online software now, if you want to try RE's. I just don't see that leading to a significant amount of lost revenue for Props. After all you do need the key to start it offline.

Come to think of it, I don't even understand for the life of me why you're so against me complaining about the three-strikes-you're-out policy. Wait until it inevitably happens to you (maybe even by software error! haha!) and let's see if your attitude changes. Or do you not have it installed on two machines? Because if so I think you'd agree that having an auxiliary copy on a laptop is prettty useful.

Last edited by rogerlevy; 2012-08-14 at 15:20.
Old 2012-08-14, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
Propellerhead would not exist without me.
Thanks then!
Old 2012-08-14, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlevy View Post
That's like saying, "Don't like being strip-searched at the airport? Then don't look suspicious!"

As for the offline issue Jiggery, that's more of a non-issue than this if you ask me. Precisely because there is nothing Props can do about it. Nothing in the software world can ever be air-tight, and what people without internet do has nothing to do with me. Anyway Reason IS more an online software now, if you want to try RE's. I just don't see that leading to a significant amount of lost revenue for Props. After all you do need the key to start it offline.

Come to think of it, I don't even understand for the life of me why you're so against me complaining about the three-strikes-you're-out policy. Wait until it inevitably happens to you (maybe even by software error! haha!) and let's see if your attitude changes. Or do you not have it installed on two machines? Because if so I think you'd agree that having an auxiliary copy on a laptop is prettty useful.

I did lol at the first bit

The thing with the server going down is quite a big issue, as currently not everything can be put on the license. It's not just trial RE versions per se - it's development versions too. If the server is down, we can't beta test or generally check progress in Reason and/or Reason's RE dev edition.

And yes, I do have Reason on three machines. Is closing down the software on one machine to use on another that hard?
Old 2012-08-14, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Is closing down the software on one machine to use on another that hard?
I think the point is that it is not. However forgetfulness rather than an attempt to miss use is causing him to have his account locked.

Since the props are all seeing and therefore know his account is already in use they could advise of the fact. Rather than increment a counter somewhere (invisible to the user) and then locking the account when said counter reaches some configured value, they could stick up a warning message saying "Hey stupid, shut down the other instance of Reason first OR you will be stuck in demo mode" - or something similar.
Old 2012-08-14, 17:20

What about users suffering from Alzheimers or other diseases affecting memory function?

Being friendly to the disabled is usually a company's way of acquiring a huggable image.