Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-08-14, 19:46

Reason can you produce professional sounding vocals friends tell me only Protools

I want to stay with Reason. I spent my money on Reason.

but, Pro tools have many tutorials free to learn how to make the vocals sound professional,

I looked everywhere I can not find any tutorials that are step by step to make vocals sound professional in Reason it's like a big secret or something or does it even exist. Can Reason produce professional sounding vocals. You make Reason we buy it you put it out there and tell us to figure it out. Usually when you purchase equipment you are instructed on how to get the greatest performance from it. When I purchased Microsoft office I got real videos that showed me step by step how to use it. And now to me it is simple. I purchased some Reason videos and no real information very very basic just a waist of money. If there are good videos on making your vocals sound professional please let me know...........I'll buy it - if not I got to move on to Pro Tools no disrespect just tired ....
Old 2012-08-14, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharethaj View Post

but, Pro tools have many tutorials free to learn how to make the vocals sound professional,

I looked everywhere I can not find any tutorials that are step by step to make vocals sound professional in Reason it's like a big secret or something or does it even exist. Can Reason produce professional sounding vocals. You make Reason we buy it you put it out there and tell us to figure it out. Usually when you purchase equipment you are instructed on how to get the greatest performance from it. When I purchased Microsoft office I got real videos that showed me step by step how to use it. And now to me it is simple. I purchased some Reason videos and no real information very very basic just a waist of money. If there are good videos on making your vocals sound professional please let me know...........I'll buy it - if not I got to move on to Pro Tools no disrespect just tired ....
In my opinion, it's not about learning how to do something in a confined area of production. Now I've never seen this Fundamental Vocals DVD but I've been through over thirty hours of other DVD footage with this guy and he delivers the best tutorials hands down. They are not Reason-oriented but he presents in such a way that you can apply the knowledge anywhere.

http://www.dancemusicproduction.com/...ental-5-vocals
Old 2012-08-14, 20:32

Thanks ....will look into it
Old 2012-08-14, 21:04

I'd like to add something that I think is worth noting - getting great sounding vocals takes time, and it varies based on what mic you're using, your approach vocally, what kind of hardware that mic is going through, and that's before it even gets to the DAW with eq and software dynamics processing. Basically don't expect to get "professional" results overnight. Most pros are using thousands of $ worth of gear matched with years of experience.

I'd say watch all the tutorials you can stomach, pro-tools, logic or whatever. Talk to friends, read forums, keep asking questions. Reason centered tutorials are great, but if you like what the pro-tools tutorials are teaching you, watch 'em and apply what you can to Reason.
Old 2012-08-14, 21:11

Thank you will continue doing that and watching more tutorials
Old 2012-08-16, 12:50

Have you listened to the demo songs? There are a few songs where the vocals sound pro to me.
Old 2012-08-16, 14:15

The singer, the mic, the preamp, the audiointerface are way more important than which software you use. Probably the best is to read books about music production or watch tutorials on youtube.
Old 2012-08-16, 15:15

Forget PT, learn first how to use effects properly, gimme your vocals, I'm makin on them premade template.
Old 2012-08-16, 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharethaj View Post

Check out the Reason demos. Some of those songs are proof that professional vocals can be achieved.

While it is possible in Reason IMO it can take a little harder work though but with REs things are getting easier.

And like others said a great front end is the ultimate key for professional vocals.

Front end = good singer/technique, mic/technique, room, cable, preamp, audio interface,

All of that makes a great amount of difference (not necessarily the cable though, but you don't want to go real cheap on this), and a great front end can be pretty expensive.
Old 2012-08-16, 16:42

getting good sounds out of anything has very little to do with the DAW these days. if you can't get a good sounding vocal track out of Reason, you're not going to get a good sounding vocal track out of ProTools or any other DAW.

as already mentioned, it's about how you set up and use your signal chain. Reason has all the same tools that you can get in any other DAW, so it's really only a matter of translating what you'd be doing in ProTools over to Reason.

as far as front-end stuff, you can follow whatever advice you like from your ProTools tutorials, since this is all being done before the sound makes it into Reason. for the "in-the-box" stuff, you just need to find the appropriate/comparable tools in Reason that you see in your ProTools tutorials. what types of settings are they using on the compressors in the ProTools tutorial? reverb? dial up similar settings and you'll be well on your way. you'll still have to do some tweaking, but it's absolutely doable.

the bottom line with DAWs is that preference is mostly about workflow. they all do much the same things in much the same ways. the biggest difference is in how the tools are presented to you. I prefer the workflow of Reason by far over my old DAW, Digital Performer, but I can get nearly the same results with either.