Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-14, 21:05

Adjustable Screen Resolution...

As others have said, having the option of adjusting the size of the rack, would make it easier to work with reason on my low resolution laptop. =) 1900 X WHATEVER, is too small for reason
Old 2012-10-28, 04:10

I'm reviving a somewhat old thread here, but this is something that's suddenly a real issue for me. I haven't used Reason in years even though I've always upgraded to the latest. Now I'm trying to use it on my new iMac rig (27" iMac with a 30" secondary display) and the rack instruments are just WAY too small to be able to read their settings. I'm running at 2560x1600 native resolution, and if the only solution is to decrease my display settings, I'm going to be very unhappy.

Is there *really* no option for zooming in on the rack (or any other aspect of the interface for that matter)??
Old 2012-10-28, 05:12

In case anyone hasn't noticed, all of the graphics in Reason are bitmaps. Bitmaps don't scale up, not without looking like crap.

Maybe at some point, Propellerhead will recreate everything with scalable vector graphics, but that would be an incredible amount of work and the devices would have a completely different character, visually. They'd lose the gritty realism and become slick, sterile and lifeless.

Your iMac's pixel density is 100 ppi. No one seems to care about adhering to any standard any more, but the standard used to be 72 ppi, and I think that's probably the standard Reason's graphics were designed to. Unfortunately, that means something Propellerhead assumed would look an 4 inches wide only looks about three inches wide on you monitor.

Just be thankful you don't have a Retina display, or you'd have to use a magnifying glass.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2012-10-28, 05:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post
Is there *really* no option for zooming in on the rack (or any other aspect of the interface for that matter)??
And yeah, Macs zoom, if you don't mind jaggy screens. Check the Mac Help.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2012-10-28, 05:56

Yeah I know I can use the Mac built-in Zoom, which frankly I'd be fine with, resolution-wise. Problem is, it's a mouse-centric zoom, so I can't just zoom a particular element of the UI. I can only zoom in on where my cursor is, which isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm well aware the graphics are all bitmaps, but it *is* almost 2013 after all, and large, wide monitors have been commonly available for quite some time. To have developed an application that is only comfortably readable at 1600 pixels wide or lower resolution, is just absurd at this point. Oh no - they might have to redo the graphics? Big deal... they add much more complex features already, they could put a graphics guy/gal on this for a few weeks and get it done.

Anyway, I'm not gonna bust the Props balls a whole lot, it is what it is and I'll manage. But as a software developer myself, it's pretty sad that at this stage in the evolution of computing, we would still have an application that doesn't actually work well on current (even several-year-old) computers.
Old 2012-10-28, 12:46

Quote:
Yeah I know I can use the Mac built-in Zoom, which frankly I'd be fine with, resolution-wise. Problem is, it's a mouse-centric zoom, so I can't just zoom a particular element of the UI. I can only zoom in on where my cursor is, which isn't what I'm looking for.

I'm well aware the graphics are all bitmaps, but it *is* almost 2013 after all, and large, wide monitors have been commonly available for quite some time. To have developed an application that is only comfortably readable at 1600 pixels wide or lower resolution, is just absurd at this point. Oh no - they might have to redo the graphics? Big deal... they add much more complex features already, they could put a graphics guy/gal on this for a few weeks and get it done.

Anyway, I'm not gonna bust the Props balls a whole lot, it is what it is and I'll manage. But as a software developer myself, it's pretty sad that at this stage in the evolution of computing, we would still have an application that doesn't actually work well on current (even several-year-old) computers.
Granted, if one was very forward thinking, one could have created huge bitmaps to begin with, and then the graphics routines with in the software could resample them down to smaller sizes as needed. But I think Propellerhead is hardly alone in this situation. I can't think of even one other music production software using bitmaps to depict devices that scales up for bigger monitors. Stuff from Native Instruments, PreSonus, every VST I've ever seen ... stuff plops up on the monitor at a given size and that's it.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2012-10-28, 12:51

Quote:
To have developed an application that is only comfortably readable at 1600 pixels wide or lower resolution, is just absurd at this point.
And the issue is not the overall size of the monitor. It's the pixel density of the monitor.

The devices would look just fine on a 160,000 x 90,000 monitor as long as its pixel density was 72 ppi.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2012-10-28 at 15:35.
Old 2012-10-28, 15:49

I've thought about this a little more, and I am quite certain that providing larger device images is not a trivial exercise. First of all, I'll assume that the intention to depict devices with bitmaps would continue so as to maintain the design aesthetic.

So now we have the issue of rendering a bitmap sharply at different sizes. For this, a "maximum" size would have to be assumed. Now, are you going to provide the user, say, two or three different sizes to choose from, or are you going to allow the user to adjust the size of the devices continuously within a given range? The former would be easier on the coding end, I suppose, but let's say you wanted to allow the user to adjust the size of the devices dynamically. If so, now you're going to have to call graphics methods to resize and re-anti-alias things. This may be fairly trivial for the device backgrounds. But, you'd have to do this for the controls that move, too. Typically, a knob on a device might consist of maybe 60 or 80 individual images to render it at it's various positions. As you whipped up and down with the mouse to furiously rotate a knob, now not only would Reason have to switch out the images to render the position change, but it also have to — with each image change — resize and resample the "master" images in the process.

For a test, I just watched the Task Manager while I resized a small image in Photoshop. The Task Manager reported about 15-30 CPU utilization during the resize. I could imagine the knob-turning-image-resizing scenario above literally pegging the CPU.

All this to say that I think "bigger" devices is a bit more complex than two or three weeks of the UI guy or gal's time.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2012-10-28 at 16:55.