Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-14, 16:11

sample rates using saffire 40 and reason 6

Hi my question is regarding setting up the bit depth and sample rate

Currently own a saffire pro 40 interface and a copy of reason 6, and would like to record at 24bit/48khz, the problem is there is nowhere to specify bit depth in either reason prefrences or in my saffire 40 control panel (only sample rate).

Does this mean that i have to have the sample rate set at 96khz to benefit from 24 bit ? or does it mean that my interface will automatically record at 24/48 if i specify 48khz sample rate in both reason and the saffire control panel ?

im a little confused : /
Old 2012-08-14, 18:41

Sample rate and bit depth are independent. I don't have my Pro 40 connected up at the moment but I think everything records at 24-bit by default. 24 bits offer decent headroom when recording so there is little reason to consider anything else now that practically every audio interface supports this bit depth.
Old 2012-08-15, 11:03

good looks man ! yeah i thought that it would be 24 bit by default, im just trying to get that same bit depth throughout all my recording.
Old 2012-08-15, 12:50

It's enough to switch sample rate in Reason's preferences. It switches Saffire Pro40 sample rate automaticly. You don't have to do it in MixControl... It works the same way with every other DAW I use...
The same applies to bit depth.
I run everything in 96kHz/24bits. Why? Because I can
During destructive audio editing 96kHz files sound better than 44.1kHz ones...
Saffire Pro40 bit depth is 24bits by default.
Greetings.

soundcloud
Old 2012-08-15, 13:14

thanks Ochucki...

so i understand correctly that no matter what sample rate i choose in my reason preferences, eg say i choose 48khz the bit depth is always going to be at 24 bits ?
Old 2012-08-16, 12:33

It's correct.
In Reason you can "downsample" to 16bits while bouncing or exporting (You're asked to set audio file parameters before processing...).
There's no project bit depth setting in preferences - only sample rate (that switch both the project and the soundcard setting).
You may set the project bit depth in preferences in Logic and in Live, but not in Reason.
I don't find it as any kind of disadvantage. And the magic is that you can use in your project audio samples (loops..) of different bit depth and sample rate.
Just for the record: update your soundcard's MixControl and firmware. There were some issues with firmware in earlier versions as I recall. I use my Saffire Pro40 with 3 different Macs and different OS - Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion and make 8 track live recordings all the time.
It works now perfect in all of them - no issues at all.
Greetings from Stockholm.

soundcloud