Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-08-18, 00:18

Updated ignition key idea.

Just a thought from my travels lately. Sometimes i've been in different studios with my laptop without internet connections and had the idea for PH to introduce a much smaller IK.

LIke the bluetooth tiny ones and some new USB sticks...

only reason I thought about it was I was dragging my laptop around in the studio and the big IK nearly snapped off in the port. Thanfully it still works and at home I have it in a USB hub.

Just a thought I had. I would definitely pay for an upgraded key and these days you get at least 16GB small USB sticks so it's just a matter of suppliers and manufacturers.
Old 2012-08-18, 20:32

the smaller it is the easier it might get lost but a small device with something like a flexible string attached could do it.
Old 2012-08-18, 23:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by moofi View Post
the smaller it is the easier it might get lost but a small device with something like a flexible string attached could do it.
Or perhaps a wireless version of the key, which locks onto "your" first/main computer, and it ask for a personal password on computers it doesn't recognize, and it should only be able to connect onto a single computer at a time. That would ofcourse require an extra software, but that shouldn't be a big problem.
Old 2012-08-21, 05:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvistro View Post
idea for PH to introduce a much smaller IK..
Props doesn't make the key... It's made by WiBu http://www.wibu.com/hardware-copy-protection.html

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-08-21, 12:21

I'd like to see the key in SD card format, I've got a MacBook so this way it just slots in and nothing is sticking out. I've always wondered why this is not an option :/
Old 2012-08-21, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillaNDubstep View Post
I'd like to see the key in SD card format, I've got a MacBook so this way it just slots in and nothing is sticking out. I've always wondered why this is not an option :/
Good idea. I use a macbook too and the SD card slot hardly ever gets used. It's great for professional photographers on a shoot but otherwise it's usually empty.

I also thought about being able to register your hardware. Then your account would be linked to each specific laptop/desktop processor. This works well for Tracktion using a specific down-loadable key file linked to your machine.
Old 2012-08-21, 16:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
Props doesn't make the key... It's made by WiBu http://www.wibu.com/hardware-copy-protection.html

Had a look over the WIBU site and they do an SD card version. I wonder if it's possible to get hold of one and transfer the license onto it...???

Is it worth contacting them and/or PH?
Old 2012-08-21, 18:33

Quote:
Had a look over the WIBU site and they do an SD card version. I wonder if it's possible to get hold of one and transfer the license onto it...???

Is it worth contacting them and/or PH?
I'd say it's worth contacting them, yes. It would definitely be cool to have the key 'permanently' in the card reader slot, as opposed to sticking out of the side.

The Props ignition key does appear to use the standard codemeter drivers, because users have posted solving issues by going to wibu to get the drivers...unless the different formats (usb vs sd vs etc) are slightly different implementations and not interchangeable.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-08-21 at 18:36.
Old 2012-08-21, 19:37

Quote:
only reason I thought about it was I was dragging my laptop around in the studio and the big IK nearly snapped off in the port. Thanfully it still works and at home I have it in a USB hub.
Due to the very nature of the current style of the device, mine is bandaged with Sellotape! I normally keep it plugged into my microKEY, which one day felt a little suicidal and jumped off the desk taking the key with it. The casing of the usb key broke apart. It still works, but I wonder how many knocks it has left in it...

Was thinking about getting balance as I don't see that plummeting to it's death quite so easily, but I do agree that an alternative design (preferably with it's own storage space) is a great idea.

Built with love and Reason!
Old 2012-08-23, 16:19

I wrote to WIBU and PH support regarding the SD card copy protection and this is their replies.

WIBU

"Dear Mr. Gardner,

in principle the licenses could be held from all devices we produce, USB, SD and many more http://www.wibu.com/de/hardwarebasie...ierschutz.html but it depends on the software vendor which devices they decide to use, so you have to contact Propellerhead and ask them if it´s possible.

Kind Regards
Christian Muselimovic"

PH

"Hi John,

No, I'm afraid that's not possible. Reason licenses can be transferred only to Propellerhead Ignition Keys.

Best regards,

Axel Nathorst-Böös"

So there we are...it's a no go unless PH change their mind at some point...which is probably unlikely.