Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-08-20, 01:54
LouEh LouEh is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 29
Yamaha HS50M question.

I'm very interested in getting these monitors because apparently if your mix sounds good on these, they'll sound good anywhere which is very appealing to me. Anyways, I hate the idea of bass reflex and i was curious if the bass response switch at the back will disable it.
Thank you!
  #2  
Old 2012-08-20, 02:14
Bonkhead's Avatar
Bonkhead Bonkhead is online now
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,747
http://www.moozek.com/postsfiles/hs50m/hs50m-back.jpg

You can cut the whole sub region if you want by putting the low cut on 80 hz or even 100 hz.
Is that what you mean ?

I use these speakers on a daily basis.
I have the mid and hi trim on -2db for a smoother sound, still very clear and clean.
If you want to emulate the famous yamaha ns 10 speakers you put them on +2.

HS50's are the best speakrs I bought for 300 euro's. Before this I had genelec 8040 for years (1500 euro per set) and hs50's are very close to that detail for just a fraction of the price. I do my sub 90 hz region with alesis monitor one mkII's passive and a denon amp. DBX 233s as a crossover between hs50 and monitor one.

If you don't need very heavy bass the hs50 still give good sound on a loud enough level overal.
If you need more power in the subs you'll need a sub or exra speakers for the sub like me.M

My girlfriend uses hs50's to play her cd's no sub needed ! She's a perfectionist when it comes to how her cd's must sound. When checking my hs50's she wanted them too Looks nice in the living room too.

Last edited by Bonkhead; 2012-08-20 at 10:37.
  #3  
Old 2012-08-20, 02:43
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
You have to take in account your acoustics (room response). Those speakers won't help you if you have a 30db dip in the bass range(or any other range). You have alot of factor working against you, acoustics, early reflections, standing waves.... Check out this thread I started about how I compaired the room response of two brands of studio monitors in my studio and how they were so similar. https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=165754 . Make sure to check out the room response graph I attached on the first post.
  #4  
Old 2012-08-20, 02:45
Bretstradamus's Avatar
Bretstradamus Bretstradamus is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEh View Post
I'm very interested in getting these monitors because apparently if your mix sounds good on these, they'll sound good anywhere which is very appealing to me. Anyways, I hate the idea of bass reflex and i was curious if the bass response switch at the back will disable it.
Thank you!
I think you might have these confused for the older Yamaha NS10s. The HS50Ms can be made to sound pretty close to the original however, if you engage the mid range boost on the back panel. The response curve is similar and will give you a close sound to the original NS10s, just keep in mind that your music will typically not sound great!

For more info check out this article comparing the two: http://www.moozek.com/2008/01/09/sup...he-new-ns-10m/

EDIT: Whoops, just now saw that Bonkhead already answered that!
__________________
My Music: http://bretstradamus.com
My Band: http://www.bellamuertemusic.com
  #5  
Old 2012-08-20, 02:48
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEh View Post
Anyways, I hate the idea of bass reflex and i was curious if the bass response switch at the back will disable it.
Thank you!
And no the low cut on the speakers won't get rid of the bass reflux, that has to do with the hole in the speaker design that gives them more bass. The hs80ms have the same feature (low cut) and it won't take care of any acoustic problems you may have in the low end in your studio. Only bass traps can help you there (believe me I even have a sub hooked up with them).

Last edited by djfm1983; 2012-08-20 at 02:55.
  #6  
Old 2012-08-20, 04:37
LouEh LouEh is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 29
Thank you, everybody! I have the acoustics sorted out and I want to get rid of the bass reflex whether or not I have too much bass response in my room. I just read that bass reflex or ported speakers can make the low end kind of inaccurate. My room is actually huge, 8 inch speakers would probably be more suitable but a pair of 8inch speakers that I'd be interested in would be out of my budget.

Bonkhead, you're the man.
  #7  
Old 2012-08-20, 05:32
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEh View Post
Thank you, everybody! I have the acoustics sorted out and I want to get rid of the bass reflex whether or not I have too much bass response in my room. I just read that bass reflex or ported speakers can make the low end kind of inaccurate.
What monitors are you using now? You said you have the acoustics sorted out, does that mean you have acoustic treatment up in your studio? If not, whether or not your speakers have bass reflex/ported won't matter if your low end has serious peaks or nulls. I don't understand what you mean "whether or not you have to much bass response" ? The bass response in your room could have a 30db null at one hz and 30db boost at another spot. Did you check out the room response graph on the link I posted? Did you noticed how I had a 15db null at 55hz and a 15db boost at around 78hz (on the m audio s)? Because of theses issues I have to cross reference on multiple speakers to make sure my low end translates outside of my studio. I need to invest in more bass traps to help flatten my bass response.
Are you interested in buying new monitors because your having issues with your mixes not "translating" outside of your studio (maybe in your bass range because you keep talking about bass reflux/ported speakers). If your mixes aren't "translating" outside of your studio it might be due to the acoustics (lack of treatment) of your room not the monitors. Or if your room is treated it could just be a mixing issue.
  #8  
Old 2012-08-20, 07:47
LouEh LouEh is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
What monitors are you using now? You said you have the acoustics sorted out, does that mean you have acoustic treatment up in your studio? If not, whether or not your speakers have bass reflex/ported won't matter if your low end has serious peaks or nulls. I don't understand what you mean "whether or not you have to much bass response" ? The bass response in your room could have a 30db null at one hz and 30db boost at another spot. Did you check out the room response graph on the link I posted? Did you noticed how I had a 15db null at 55hz and a 15db boost at around 78hz (on the m audio s)? Because of theses issues I have to cross reference on multiple speakers to make sure my low end translates outside of my studio. I need to invest in more bass traps to help flatten my bass response.
Are you interested in buying new monitors because your having issues with your mixes not "translating" outside of your studio (maybe in your bass range because you keep talking about bass reflux/ported speakers). If your mixes aren't "translating" outside of your studio it might be due to the acoustics (lack of treatment) of your room not the monitors. Or if your room is treated it could just be a mixing issue.
My room isn't treated but I have it adjusted in a way that my ears have tuned to the acoustics/current speaker set up. The speakers are old JVC's but I have no idea what model they are.

"whether or not you have to much bass response"
What I meant by that was, I just don't like the idea of bass reflex. Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio (a book that I'm very interested in getting) has an entire section on why you should try to avoid getting ported speakers so now I'm kind of turned off by them a bit.

I just want new reference monitors because my current one's are either half blown or they weren't desigend and manufactured to handle low end at all -- they rattle like ragin' cobra. They translate pretty well because I know them. I just know that I can't rely on them at all for the low end.
Yes, I realize that the HS50m's aren't meant to have a great low end but I'm sure they won't sound as broken as these old speakers that I'm using now when I have some low end going on. I also want to step my little home studio a notch so it comes off as a bit more professional.
HS50's also seem to have a similar general tone as my current speakers -- which I do love -- except with a tighter low end. Well the low end that they have.

My question in the original post was actually just to see if I could turned off the bass reflex because I don't like the idea of bass reflex. The question was not about current sound, which I'm satisfied with except for the fact that my speakers are clearly outdated (the rattled a lot).

I thank you a lot though, regardless. I understand that my question could have clearly been about my set up sounding too bassy right now so I wanted to a speaker upgrade to fix the problem (perhaps the room would be too small or something, or maybe I'm in a corner).
Anyways, thanks!
  #9  
Old 2012-08-20, 08:48
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouEh View Post
My room isn't treated but I have it adjusted in a way that my ears have tuned to the acoustics/current speaker set up. The speakers are old JVC's but I have no idea what model they are.

"whether or not you have to much bass response"
What I meant by that was, I just don't like the idea of bass reflex. Mike Senior's book Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio (a book that I'm very interested in getting) has an entire section on why you should try to avoid getting ported speakers so now I'm kind of turned off by them a bit.

I just want new reference monitors because my current one's are either half blown or they weren't desigend and manufactured to handle low end at all -- westhey rattle like ragin' cobra. They translate pretty well because I know them. I just know that I can't rely on them at all for the low end.
Yes, I realize that the HS50m's aren't meant to have a great low end but I'm sure they won't sound as broken as these old speakers that I'm using now when I have some low end going on. I also want to step my little home studio a notch so it comes off as a bit more professional.
HS50's also seem to have a similar general tone as my current speakers -- which I do love -- except with a tighter low end. Well the low end that they have.

My question in the original post was actually just to see if I could turned off the bass reflex because I don't like the idea of bass reflex. The question was not about current sound, which I'm satisfied with except for the fact that my speakers are clearly outdated (the rattled a lot).

I thank you a lot though, regardless. I understand that my question could have clearly been about my set up sounding too bassy right now so I wanted to a speaker upgrade to fix the problem (perhaps the room would be too small or something, or maybe I'm in a corner).
Anyways, thanks!
Yeah if your speakers are rattling it's probably time for a new setup. My friend has the hs50m and likes them but they definitely lack in the bass range. If you know the sound of your room and where your issues are then you might be ok to judge your frequency balance alright (other than the low end and you'll probably still have to cross reference your mixes on different setups). I've never personally listen to the difference between speakers with or with out bass reflux and wonder if you could really tell the difference without acoustical treatment. After you make up your mind post which monitors your gonna get I'm really interested in what you find with what you have in mind ( the fact that you want speakers without bass reflux). Good luck with your new setup!

Last edited by djfm1983; 2012-08-20 at 08:51.
  #10  
Old 2012-08-20, 10:50
Bonkhead's Avatar
Bonkhead Bonkhead is online now
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,747
well, i've never had any other monitor speakers but ported ones. the genelecs where ported too and they know how to build speakers. The same goes for these yamaha hs 50's.

Reading a book about someone having another opinion must not by your new bible in the sence of total surender to his ideas. Aquire the knowledge, and test this out in your own studio enviroment. Like waht you said, you know your room. If someone tells you you need a weird shaped box kind of room before making any good mix you must not follow them without first testing their theory in your studio. Chances are they might not work for you for whatever reason. I've been there.

Your ears (well, actually your brain) get used to your studio, how it sounds. It's better to a/b between a reference track in your studio that you know than to learn how to losten to a new enviroment.

That all said, some acoustic threatment is necesary always in my opinion. The most simple way to get fast good results is to use a mirror in the walls to check if you can see your monitors on the walls/ceiling. Those are the places you need to put some acoustic foam are (like I often like as a cheap solution) get heavy thick left over sale carpet at your local carpet dealer and places that on the wall with like 3 to 8 cm's in between plus soem place between the wall and the firts layer of carpet. It's very cheap and can give you great results for the hi and mid frequenties, even some low (depending on how heavy/thick the carpet is).

Last month I had to thrash 3 of my 6 panels (2m2 meter per panel) due to pulverising due to age. These where expensive acoustic pyramid foam panels a 120 euro's a piece. The carpet ones are still allright and not much diffrence in sound if you compare those.

Last edited by Bonkhead; 2012-08-20 at 10:54.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about using samples on the NN-XT DJEXTACY General Forum (read only) 3 2009-11-22 01:11
Thanx to the people that Care I have one more question thanx BlackDJ Music Forum (read only) 0 2009-10-10 19:59
Question about Record filesave behavior. descathach Phead User Forum (read only) 11 2009-05-20 03:20
Question about Standard Mapping & Remote Override Edit average Phead User Forum (read only) 0 2007-12-20 03:48
question: HARDWARE Mystery integration Oblique General Forum (read only) 2 2003-08-17 12:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:29.