Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-20, 21:27
dakotapotts

Help a noob out with Reason and M-Audio

Hello,
I signed up for the forum hoping you guys could help me with some problems. Using the search bar didn't bring up what I needed, so I figured I'd post here.

One of my dad's friends recently transferred his Reason license over to me and gave me a Digidesign Mbox 2 with a big Reason symbol on the front, as well as an M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI controller.

I've been a musician for a couple of years and I've never experimented with MIDI or any advanced DAW. It's mostly been limited to Audacity and Garageband. So understandably I was happy to move on to a "real" recording suite.

I've always gotten lag on my computer, and I was a little dismayed to find that the keyboard still had some lag when recording into Reason. I've cleared out all the CPU space I can, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have a feeling it has to do with my Audio card. When using a Line 6 UX2, I got no lag, but the one I have is on the fritz and produces way too much hiss.

Now I went to plug in the Mbox and it won't turn on, even when plugged into Reason. I can't find a driver for it and am hoping someone can help me troubleshoot.

Also, a very noob question, can you use Reason for recording real instruments? I definitely want to experiment, but I also would like to be able to record a full band of instruments live (one track at a time) with no quantization, electric effects, etc.

If it helps, I am using Reason Version 4, Academic.

One of my basses is about to go through the window, so if anybody can help me out here, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dakota
Old 2012-08-21, 01:14

try downloading this http://www.asio4all.com/ that should clear you latency, after you download click on edit prefrences then audio and select asio driver, i use a axiom 49 and thats what i use to do on reason 4 when i didnt have a sound card and i just used my onboard soundcard, cant help you with the sound card though soz. and as for recording instruments you cant on reason 4 only on Reason5/Record and upwards
Old 2012-08-21, 02:32

Here's the archive link where you'll find everything mbox: http://archive.digidesign.com/download/mbox/

The downloads are pretty old, so it's unclear how they'd work on Win7.

close reason
unplug the mbox
install asio4all recommended by rushdown
then install the mbox drivers

cross your fingers
plug in the mbox, let it autodetect - wait for "ready to use" message

start reason

edit >> preferences | audio ; select the asio4all mbox option

also make sure you have the most recent drivers for your axiom and if you have issues with it, try it in different usb ports - my axiom keyboard only works well in one of my 4 usb ports (weird, i know).

good luck

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-08-21, 04:57
dakotapotts

Awesome. Thanks! I actually recently cleared my computer of a bunch of programs because CPU usage was high. ASIO4ALL was one of them that I deleted because it had a weird name and couldn't remember why I had it. Guess this wasn't the first time I've had that problem.
Old 2012-08-21, 04:59
dakotapotts

And also thank you very much! I had tried that, but since it was for XP, it was unclear how it would work on Vista. At this point I had been at it for 2 and a half hours and put it down to go back to learning to play drums (the more instruments the better, right?)

Will definitely try this tomorrow and hopes this works... I could kiss you guys if these simple things are a solution.
Old 2012-08-21, 08:23

Quote:
Will definitely try this tomorrow and hopes this works... I could kiss you guys if these simple things are a solution.
One thing you should know is that Vista was really bad with audio-related stuff, so it's always possible that this is a source of problems.

I suggest going to your PC manufacturer's website and downloading the most recent audio drivers before installing any other drivers. Make sure you right-click and choose "Run as administrator" for all driver installs. Then once everything is installed, choose your preferred audio driver in the prefs.
Old 2012-08-21, 11:29

I know people who downgraded to XP when they bought a new vista pc back then.

Microsoft also used this to make XP sales count as vista sales, to get those numbers up

So, it's xp or win 7 for best results. But you can use vista offcourse, it's not that big a deal since reason is a stable prg.
Old 2012-08-21, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkhead View Post
I know people who downgraded to XP when they bought a new vista pc back then.
Going from Vista to XP is 'upgrading'

m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-08-21, 22:19
dakotapotts

Here's the thing: even though the Mbox seems made for Reason use, when I tried downloading the driver, it said it couldn't install without a copy of Pro Tools.
Old 2012-08-22, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts View Post
Here's the thing: even though the Mbox seems made for Reason use, when I tried downloading the driver, it said it couldn't install without a copy of Pro Tools.
the mbox came with a free copy of Pro Tools LE, and there are links to download that on the same post as the drivers.

I'm not sure how much the mbox drivers depend on Pro Tools (shouldn't at all) or if that requirement is just a way to get you to install PT, which is a crap thing to do if you ask me.

Also not sure what happens if you install the XP version of PT on Vista.