Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-20, 23:11

Reason and 2 master keyboards? How?

I have heard that is it possible to play reason with two (or more?) master keyboard. What is necessary for this? I have midi Midi merger from "Midi Solutions" but it seems not to work very well. They exist nice comfortable solution how can I control Reason with two midi keyboards?
Old 2012-08-21, 01:19

I use two midi controllers with Reason. I do nothing special...jut install the drivers and it just works.

Reason 7 - Studio One Pro V2.5
Optiplex780 8G Win7 & Dell Latitude E6410 4G Win7 64 bit
Presonus AudioBox1818 - Focusrite VRM - Fender SuperChamp X2
MAudio Oxygen61 - Akai MPD26 - iPad2
Old 2012-08-21, 01:27

It's possible. There's only one keyboard which Reason will call the master keyboard, as listed in Preferences > Keyboards and Control Surfaces... but regardless, you can add additional keyboards and use them independently on different rack devices. The Help and manual explain it nicely.
Old 2012-08-21, 18:29

You can not have multiple 'master controllers' setup in Reason - only one 'master controller'.

The master controller will follow the tracks you select in the sequencer - that is, as you switch from track to track, the master keyboard will be remapped to the currently selected track.

You can, however, connect as many controllers as you like, and you do not have to set any of them as master.

When you have multiple controllers, the ones that are not set as master have to be locked to a device/track. (using edit >> preferences)

No matter what tracks you select in the sequencer, the locked controllers are always mapped to the device to which they are locked.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-08-21, 20:12

I'm pretty sure that my 2nd controller isn't locked to any device and that it follows my master keyboard. I will check when I get home and make sure I'm not dreaming.

Old 2012-08-21, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetersus View Post
I'm pretty sure that my 2nd controller isn't locked to any device and that it follows my master keyboard. I will check when I get home and make sure I'm not dreaming.
That would be an undocumented feature.

I'm going by the manual which states that you can only have one master controller and that additional controllers should be locked to a device - but doesn't say that must be.

Not sure what happens if you have a second controller that's neither the master not locked to a device - it might just follow the master, which would actually make sense.

@OP In reviewing the manual after my previous post I do notice that it says that each controller should be connected directly through it's own MIDI port, so running them through a merger might be an issue.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-08-24, 14:55

Yeah, I checked and one of the options for my 2nd controller is to "follow master keyboard". So even though it's not technically a master keyboard it does perform as such. I'm running the latest version of Reason.