Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-21, 21:43

Enhanced "Live" capabilities

Hey guys,
I used Reason for another live show this weekend and it all went well. I program the NNXT with sound effects for theatre and use it that way triggering from a well labeled MIDI controller. I realize that Reason is already used as a live performance instrument and in my case a glorified sound effects sampler however I am wondering if the live aspect of Reason is one of the areas that should be enhanced. Instead of programming a combinator with all of my instruments and effects within it, I would be interested in performing live shows via the sequencer to a larger extent. I hate to compare because I know that they are different beasts however, has anyone else ever thought that a sequencer screen more similar to that of Live with sample fill quadrants might be nice? Maybe we could assign the tracks within a block to a vertical line of quadrants to be controlled with on/off switches.
Just a thought..
Old 2012-08-22, 03:16

I agree! Coupled with midi out and a "performance" mode gui, reason could be a fantastic performance tool.
Old 2012-08-22, 05:39

+1!!!!!!!!!!

#58?

*** Ochen K's EDMDS Drum Synth ***
Old 2012-08-22, 05:44

I agree with you Juno106user. To fully take advantage of what you are talking about Reason would need better midi mapping capabilities, like- the ability to assign block playback to a midi CC or Midi number. I think Props could do something like this very easily and I honestly feel like something along these lines could be coming to Reason sooner than we think.
“Come now, and let us REASON together” Isaiah 1:18

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-08-22, 16:32

midi out sooner than we think, lol? I might keep reading Isaiah if that becomes reality.
Old 2012-08-22, 19:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by triphop55 View Post
midi out sooner than we think
I realize that MIDI out is something that users have be begging for but for me, I have long since sold my outboard gear and only want more products for Reason. MIDI out does seem like something that would be so simple to implement I guess. NOT TO TAKE THIS OFF TOPIC!
Old 2012-08-22, 21:10

All respect to primary topic...I am finding musical inspiration has a cyclical factor. I too sold my hardware, etc, when I embraced reason ver 1 and other programs many years ago. Now I am re-finding muse and inspiration with hardware...especially analog synths.
Midi out has live performance implications....especially with filter modulation,
but a sequencer mode for live performance, would open up many inspiring opportunities and options.
Old 2012-08-23, 23:20

I can definitely see the benefit to allowing blocks to function sort of like live's clips, and have them be midi mapable, not too fond of the idea of adding yet a screen though- I think 3 is more than enough. Maybe it could work with a variation to the current blocks mode in the sequencer. As a keyboard rig, it currently works great as is with the right controller imho.