Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 2012-08-22, 02:17
EnochLight's Avatar
EnochLight EnochLight is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts View Post
If it helps, I am using Reason Version 4, Academic.
Hi Dakota,

When you say Reason Version 4 Academic, do you mean one of the following?
  • Reason EDU
  • Reason Student/Teacher

The two are very different, as are the upgrade paths. Getting Reason 6.5 would be ideal in your case, as you desire to record audio.
__________________
  • "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of Reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Reason 7 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.2 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256 GB | Balance | Nektar Panorama P-4
  #12  
Old 2012-08-22, 02:18
reasoner498's Avatar
reasoner498 reasoner498 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts
Here's the thing: even though the Mbox seems made for Reason use, when I tried downloading the driver, it said it couldn't install without a copy of Pro Tools.
If this is the case, you're basically stuck, as this is a form of copy-protection on Digidesign's part.

My suggestion is to do the following...

1. Install latest factory audio drivers
2. Install latest ASIO4ALL
3. Install Reason 4
4. Configure ASIO4ALL to work with Reason 4 using onboard sound
5. Install Axiom 49 drivers (if needed)
5. Configure Reason 4 to use the Axiom for input

If you do the above, you'll at least be able to use Reason 4 and your keyboard. You won't have audio recording into Reason 4, but that's okay, since it doesn't support it anyways. Toy should be able to do this without much problem. I have Reason 3, and it works fine with ASIO4ALL, and it has the Axiom 49 available as a midi input device.


From there, you can try connecting the Mbox without the factory drivers and see if ASIO4ALL gives you access to the device. If it does, you can use ASIO4ALL instead of the factory drivers.

Other than that, you can either get hold of the ProTools stuff from your buddy, or look into using a different interface.
  #13  
Old 2012-08-22, 02:23
dakotapotts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Well, it's got the Reason Logo branded on the top, so I assume it came with Reason and not Pro Tools.

However, it does keep asking me for the disk that came with it. Don't have it from my friend.

At this point, I think my best option is honestly to run two signals from my instruments: One to a monitor (usually my bass amp) and one into the Toneport to record into Reaper.

I still would like to know if Reason can record "real" instruments or just electronic.
  #14  
Old 2012-08-22, 02:36
dakotapotts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner498 View Post
If this is the case, you're basically stuck, as this is a form of copy-protection on Digidesign's part.

My suggestion is to do the following...

1. Install latest factory audio drivers
2. Install latest ASIO4ALL
3. Install Reason 4
4. Configure ASIO4ALL to work with Reason 4 using onboard sound
5. Install Axiom 49 drivers (if needed)
5. Configure Reason 4 to use the Axiom for input

If you do the above, you'll at least be able to use Reason 4 and your keyboard. You won't have audio recording into Reason 4, but that's okay, since it doesn't support it anyways. Toy should be able to do this without much problem. I have Reason 3, and it works fine with ASIO4ALL, and it has the Axiom 49 available as a midi input device.


From there, you can try connecting the Mbox without the factory drivers and see if ASIO4ALL gives you access to the device. If it does, you can use ASIO4ALL instead of the factory drivers.

Other than that, you can either get hold of the ProTools stuff from your buddy, or look into using a different interface.
All of the above is done and works great

I suppose I will use Reason for my electronic/MIDI needs and Reaper for everything else.

I have noticed that when using ASIO4ALL, I can't do something like play along to a YouTube video. Earlier I was playing "The Day That Never Comes" by Metallica on the keyboard and wanted to pull it up on YouTube. No sound came out of it, so I switched drivers back and it worked fine. I'll just use the ASIO driver when recording. No biggie.

You guys are awesome.
  #15  
Old 2012-08-22, 02:41
dakotapotts
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Hi Dakota,

When you say Reason Version 4 Academic, do you mean one of the following?
  • Reason EDU
  • Reason Student/Teacher

The two are very different, as are the upgrade paths. Getting Reason 6.5 would be ideal in your case, as you desire to record audio.
Totally unsure. The authorization card simply says " Reason Version 4", the license/registration numbers, and "Academic version"
  #16  
Old 2012-08-22, 03:17
rushdown's Avatar
rushdown rushdown is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts View Post
Well, it's got the Reason Logo branded on the top, so I assume it came with Reason and not Pro Tools.

However, it does keep asking me for the disk that came with it. Don't have it from my friend.

At this point, I think my best option is honestly to run two signals from my instruments: One to a monitor (usually my bass amp) and one into the Toneport to record into Reaper.

I still would like to know if Reason can record "real" instruments or just electronic.
Hey dakota i did say to you in my post the otherday that (reason 4) dont record real instruments but if you upgrade to reason 6.5 you can
  #17  
Old 2012-08-22, 04:32
reasoner498's Avatar
reasoner498 reasoner498 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts
I suppose I will use Reason for my electronic/MIDI needs and Reaper for everything else.
Unless you plan on upgrading to Reason 6/6.5, this is probably you're best source of action.

Keep in mind that you can still use audio samples in the Reason 4 devices - NN-19, NN-XT, Dr. Rex, and Redrum can all play audio samples of various formats. You can create the samples with any program that handles the formats, and there are some limits outlined in the Reason docs.

However, Reason itself didn't get direct sample recording until version 5, and "typical" multi-track audio was added via a separate product called Record. Reason 6 saw the merger of Reason and Record into a single product.

For integrating your Reason stuff into Reaper, you have...

the traditional export/import of compatible formats
MIDI out of Reaper into Reason (Reason has no MIDI out)
ReWire Reason into Reaper (Reason can't host a ReWire device)
ReaRoute Reason into Reaper (Reason 4 can't receive ReaRouted audio)

Also, so you know...

Some Digidesign products came with (in addition to ProTools) a stripped-down version of Reason called Reason Adapted. This is likely what you would find on the disc you didn't get from your friend.

The "academic" version of Reason 4 that you received was likely a separate purchase.
  #18  
Old 2012-08-23, 00:23
charlycharlzz's Avatar
charlycharlzz charlycharlzz is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,981
I have no idear what your probleme iz but when I had a probleme with my m-audio I wrote to them and they told me to ( unplug my audio card , uninstal my old m-audio driver , download the new driver from m-audio.com , restart my computer with no soundcard plug to it , instal my new driver , plug my sound card and then it worked fine !
if it did not worked they told me to try asio4all !
__________________

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
  #19  
Old 2012-08-23, 01:22
SteveDiverse's Avatar
SteveDiverse SteveDiverse is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts View Post
it's got the Reason Logo branded on the top
Is that painted on, etched in, or something? or is it a sticker?
(because you can take a reason sticker and put it on anything)

I'm pretty sure mbox always came with Pro Tools and never with Reason.

That shouldn't matter though, because there's nothing about the mbox that makes it work or not with a specific DAW, except as reasoner498 suggests, it's a form of copy protection.
__________________

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
  #20  
Old 2012-08-23, 01:40
charlycharlzz's Avatar
charlycharlzz charlycharlzz is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotapotts View Post
Well, it's got the Reason Logo branded on the top, so I assume it came with Reason and not Pro Tools.

However, it does keep asking me for the disk that came with it. Don't have it from my friend.

At this point, I think my best option is honestly to run two signals from my instruments: One to a monitor (usually my bass amp) and one into the Toneport to record into Reaper.

I still would like to know if Reason can record "real" instruments or just electronic.

wait I just remember that I buyed a m-audio usb m-box and you got to instal protools and then also the drivers to work ! no pro tools, no work that is stupid because you can run it on other daw once it is instaled !
ps : a long time ago I uninstal pro tools but my m-audio still run fine !
__________________

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !

Last edited by charlycharlzz; 2012-08-23 at 01:45.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Learning Reason paskel13 General Forum (read only) 6 2013-03-23 07:58
Reason 5 is good, but... Espejo Phead User Forum (read only) 47 2011-05-10 08:07
Routing live audio through Reason from another host beatpoet Phead User Forum (read only) 8 2008-07-01 02:32
My Reason 3 workflow and general thoughts about Reason 4 Andrew108 General Forum (read only) 7 2007-02-12 10:17
Reason and Cubase SX: no audio to Cubase audio track for rec touboul General Forum (read only) 3 2005-05-18 02:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:52.