Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-25, 04:08

Dedicated Brass RE

A while back when forum members were posting up about what Refills they'd like to see from the Pheads, I spoke up about really wanting to see a solid, realistic, brass refill, with lots of different mic'ing and sound options, with various saxes (alto, tenor, bari), horns (trumpet, trombone, french horn), etc.

This was pre-RE times, and now that RE's are a reality, I for one would definitely like to see a brass RE, maybe by the Pheads themselves. Maybe something similar to the Radical Piano but for brass.

There are some ok horn patches out there (and lots of cheesy sounding ones), but it's just one of those things that I feel is so hard to get sounding right in the world of computer music. I usually have to do a fair amount of effecting to get horn patches sounding the way I want them, and hopefully a dedicated brass RE would aid with.
Old 2012-08-25, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamatic View Post
A while back when forum members were posting up about what Refills they'd like to see from the Pheads, I spoke up about really wanting to see a solid, realistic, brass refill, with lots of different mic'ing and sound options, with various saxes (alto, tenor, bari), horns (trumpet, trombone, french horn), etc.

This was pre-RE times, and now that RE's are a reality, I for one would definitely like to see a brass RE, maybe by the Pheads themselves. Maybe something similar to the Radical Piano but for brass.

There are some ok horn patches out there (and lots of cheesy sounding ones), but it's just one of those things that I feel is so hard to get sounding right in the world of computer music. I usually have to do a fair amount of effecting to get horn patches sounding the way I want them, and hopefully a dedicated brass RE would aid with.
McCheesy-baby.... in 5..

It's still a great idea though. The Radical Piano should be the start of a range of Nonfree Radicals. I'd still want Electric Piano before Horns, but that's probably just the Ray Manzerak in me talking.

Two things to note though - it's surprising how good even FSB/Ork brass can sound if you're not hearing them solo. On their own, yes, they're a bit ropy, but with a full song mix you can get surprising good results: make use of the sfz variants for long notes, and don't have all the instruments in the brass section playing the note at the same quantisation. Give each one it's own "tick" space, velocity etc, and use different instruments to build a chord - never build a chord using just the trumpet! Not even Satchmo could do that!!

If "RadHorn" supported multi-instrument loading, e.g. a choice of say 4 solo instruments to form a horn section, unless an RE had per instrument shuffle, the result would actually come out worse than seperate NNXTs and tracks. So personally I'd rather RadHorn was a one-instrument at a time device, or at the most a dual-tone instrument like ReTron.

tl;dr - always use solo brass instruments to form a section: brass sections samplesets really don't work as well if you're trying to aim for realism.

Seconding - different mic-ing: I'm not a mic-ing expert, perhaps selig can chime in here, but different mic'ing positions is probably less useful in Horns than Pianos, as mic'ing tends to be direct, and in mono, unless you have a saxophone with stereo outs . Frankly a built-in roomverb might be enough for ambience.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2012-08-25 at 12:59.
Old 2012-08-25, 18:57

Yeah, I guess I ment more ambient/room options, instead of mic options.

Also, different horn mute options would be great.