Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-26, 03:31

Thumbs down Why did i buy record?????!!!!!*$

This is the first time making a comment for Propellerheads to see, but I've been upset from this since Reason 6 was first announced it will have audio import AND the new mixer! I've been buying Reason since 2.5 and upgrading ever since, buying other add on products along the way. Not a single person I know using Reason buy's it, and looks down on me with sentiments "just crack it," "just download it bro," "why would you buy it," and I would reply with "because I want Propellerheads to keep making better versions. This reply was valid enough for anyone who used non-purchased installs, and a few people I did talk to ended up buying a copy too. Record comes out, has all this extra stuff, audio import, chop/stretch/edit audio, and I'm the only person who can do this because I only had to buy a little upgrade, perfect. I refuse to buy any Propellerheads products now, I got on a rant anytime anyone brings up Reason in conversation because I felt screwed, I was a sucker for buying Record, or some general distate from this move on your part. I switched DAW's, started using VST's, new sequencers, plugins and said good bye to Reason, Record, and Propellerheads.

I refuse to buy the new Reason upgrade, because I bought Record to work with audio in Reason.

Propellerheads, why did I buy Record, when you were going to incorporate all those features into the next Reason???? What's your, 'reason?'

Dis-satisfied customer,

Matt S.
Old 2012-08-26, 03:56

Well reason 6 could have literally been a free upgrade for Reason/record owners. I feel Reason is a better program integrated with Records functions.
Old 2012-08-26, 04:05

It's a shame you obviously missed the Pay-What-You-Want promo when Reason 6 was first released. Alot of people felt the same way as you after just getting on the Record+Reason thing, only to have the next version make Record redundant.

The promo allowed us to pay what we thought it was worth. (as it did come with a few features and a handful of new devices over version 5)
Old 2012-08-26, 04:08

When did you purchase Record? If July 2011 or later, you are entitled to a free upgrade to Reason 6 and should contact Props with proof of purchase date .

For everyone who purchased Reason AND Record prior to July, 2011, there was a 'pay what you want' promotion for the upgrade to Reason 6 for the first month after the release of Reason 6, so many got that for $1.

Reason 6 didn't just integrate Record, it also added support for 64-bit and three new devices: The Echo, Alligator, and Pulverizer - so there's a value in that.

Try the demo to see how great Alligator and Pulverizer are - no offense to The Echo, but the other two are worth the price of the upgrade.

If you buy Reason 6 upgrade now ($169), you actually get 6.5, which was a free upgrade for owners of Reason 6, and for a limited time, you can get the Pulsar Rack Extension for free - after which it will cost $49 or $59 or something like that. (You missed the free Softube Saturation Knob Rack Extension which is now $29)

Reason upgrades have always cost something, and have always added features. You could wait for Reason 7 and see if the three devices added in Reason 6 and whatever is added in Reason 7 is worth the cost of the upgrade to 7.

It pays to stay engaged in this site, and the forums, so you don't miss out on the windows of opportunity to get the most value out of your purchase.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-08-26 at 04:11.
Old 2012-08-26, 04:32

Steve,

Missing a "pwyc" promo is worse, so now your telling me that depending when I bought Record, I would've had Reason 6 for $1. Giving me the hard sell for $220 (CAD) does not make me want to become a Reason user again, after feeling like I spent money on a product I don't need.
Old 2012-08-26, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathmatech View Post
Steve,

Missing a "pwyc" promo is worse, so now your telling me that depending when I bought Record, I would've had Reason 6 for $1. Giving me the hard sell for $220 (CAD) does not make me want to become a Reason user again, after feeling like I spent money on a product I don't need.
I think a little perspective is in order here.

You have Record, and I assume Reason 5 as well? And they still function, correct? So you have access to all those features. The programs don't stop working just because a new version is released. If you needed the features that Record has, well, then, you spent money on a product you did need. The only thing that has changed is that all those features, plus some more besides, are included in Reason 6, and 6.5 allows you to buy Rack Extensions. And even if you missed out on the promotions, upgrading to Reason 6 from Reason5/Record is a lot cheaper than buying the program new. Why get angry about having that all get folded together into Reason 6? If you use Record, you're working with the same layout, more or less, that Reason 6 has, and if you use Record with Reason 5, you'll have all the instruments and devices of both programs when you run Record. Nothing about this makes you lose anything.

Reason 6 has been out for quite some time, now. For the last several months, the forums here have been abuzz over the 6.5 upgrade. We waited anxiously for it to happen, and now we wait for the next REs to get released.

So while most of us might have a little sympathy for you buying Record and then seeing it incorporated into Reason (I bought Record, so it happened to me), this is really old news as developments go. How you've missed the news all this time is unclear, since the Propellerhead site has been announcing these things as they happen, and sites that focus on electronic music creation have been spreading the news. At some point, this can't really be blamed on Propellerhead, and you have to bear some of the responsibility for keeping yourself informed.

Old 2012-08-26, 10:08

I said nothing about loss, Im upset that I bought a product that I will have no use for, no reason to upgrade, and could have just waited for the upgrade of Reason. So I felt shafted and taken advantage of.

I'm taking NO responsibility as you put it, for not reading the news on a companies site that made me feel that way. If you felt scammed by a company, would YOU visit their site for news updates? I have no idea when 6 came out, or had any idea about 6.5, if there was some sort of actual effort towards me from propellerheads, maybe I'd come back to see what new products they have been working on. I'm fine working with competitors if a company thinks it's my fault I lost trust and faith in them. Thats really what its about.

Also to cover your comment about 'spreading the news', good for them if they had publicity, anytime I seen the reason logo, it became awash in the many ad's a seen in my day, and more so had no interest to find out what was being advertised. Again, if you felt betrayed by a company you praised to all your friends and supported with your hard earned dollars, would you intentionally spend your time reading their ad's?

I made this post, because there was no 'customer support' link to be found, and I thought maybe they would be interested to know how their product choices made me feel as a lost customer. Maybe you can afford to spend money on software your not going to use, so good on you.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathmatech View Post
Again, if you felt betrayed by a company you praised to all your friends and supported with your hard earned dollars, would you intentionally spend your time reading their ad's?

I made this post, because there was no 'customer support' link to be found, and I thought maybe they would be interested to know how their product choices made me feel as a lost customer. Maybe you can afford to spend money on software your not going to use, so good on you.
How can you feel betrayed if you did not even know about R6 or 6,5?
How should PH have contacted you if you have not signed up for newsletter?
Old 2012-08-26, 10:41

I also research before parting with my cash and I never ever blindly listen to advice in store especially if the store in question is Guitar Center.

Record was rolled in to Reason as that's what customer feedback told props we wanted (sales of Record for Reason Owners and Reason DUO)
Old 2012-08-26, 10:45

As soon as it was announced 6 was going to have audio, I pretty much gave up and lost trust in them as a business. it was only last week I ended up watching a video about the plug-in companies developing products for Reason, and all the videos everyone's happy, talking all fun, but all I can think is, oh cool. oh you have to buy them separate? figures..