Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-08-27, 03:28
smhillis smhillis is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 107
Mastering

I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
  #2  
Old 2012-08-27, 03:36
ethernine's Avatar
ethernine ethernine is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 142
yeah nobody never really talk about mixing on here!
  #3  
Old 2012-08-27, 03:39
smhillis smhillis is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 107
Seems like an appropriate place for the topic. How about the 'Music' section?
  #4  
Old 2012-08-27, 04:36
bigant's Avatar
bigant bigant is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
More to it than turing up the volume on a bad mix. Then they master it to optimum levels and make sure it hits hard and clear on all systems! Yea you have to pay for their "golden ears". It takes years of practice and time that i just don't have being a weekend bedroom producer. Time to go to the big dogs for mixing and mastering so my beats sound pro,thats all i need.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
  #5  
Old 2012-08-27, 05:33
reasoner498's Avatar
reasoner498 reasoner498 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 836
iZotope has a pdf mastering guide for Ozone, their mastering suite.

It's written such that you can adapt the general concepts to your own situation.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/support.asp
  #6  
Old 2012-08-27, 05:44
Lunesis's Avatar
Lunesis Lunesis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
Seems like an appropriate place for the topic. How about the 'Music' section?
Music section is for songs. Mixing is 5x more important than mastering.. if you have a bad mix mastering will just make it more obvious. It's something you do when you have a finished album, not a finished song.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
  #7  
Old 2012-08-27, 06:14
MayorMcCheese MayorMcCheese is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 770
If you’re submitting a track to an agency or a record label, then have a Master do the mastering. If you’re putting a track on Soundcloud or some website for family and friends to enjoy, then master it yourself and learn what you can do. Mastering is like that perfect last dash of salt and pepper on a well mixed track instead of drowning it in barbeque sauce. You can learn to do it pretty darn good.

Anyway, if a Sony rep or someone hears a Soundcloud track of yours and likes it and knows that it’s “a diamond in the rough” and wants to make you rich and famous, then they’re going to re-master it anyway no matter who mastered it before. Your song is made of the midi and audio tracks created by you in the Sequencer. Anything can be changed about how the sounds sound.
__________________
waldenroadmusic.bandcamp.com
  #8  
Old 2012-08-27, 19:46
djfm1983's Avatar
djfm1983 djfm1983 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
I found on online mastering service that plan on using really soon ( http://www.promastering.org/#!about/ccjb ). They don't charge alot to master a song ($16) so I figured it's worth trying out.
  #9  
Old 2012-08-27, 21:54
Lunesis's Avatar
Lunesis Lunesis is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
I found on online mastering service that plan on using really soon ( http://www.promastering.org/#!about/ccjb ). They don't charge alot to master a song ($16) so I figured it's worth trying out.
For 16 smackers it sounds like they'll just slap an Ozone preset on and send it back.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
  #10  
Old 2012-08-28, 00:20
RasCricket RasCricket is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis View Post
For 16 smackers it sounds like they'll just slap an Ozone preset on and send it back.
Yyyup. Pretty much.
__________________
My Player on Reverbnation - 35 Tunes - Original & Classic Reggae/Dub Productions: http://www.reverbnation.com/rascricket
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can anyone help me with the mystical art of mastering MAV42 General Forum (read only) 34 2011-10-18 19:42
Pug's Default Mastering Suite.cmb (all new) rpugwash Phead User Forum (read only) 18 2010-02-16 04:35
Record as CD Mastering Tool Reason1O1 Phead User Forum (read only) 10 2009-10-31 01:47
Mastering with the new m-class devices etc... rpugwash General Forum (read only) 8 2005-02-23 18:14
Mastering tips. Hope this helps campbell General Forum (read only) 3 2002-07-21 15:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:47.