Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-27, 03:28

Mastering

I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
Old 2012-08-27, 03:36

yeah nobody never really talk about mixing on here!
Old 2012-08-27, 03:39

Seems like an appropriate place for the topic. How about the 'Music' section?
Old 2012-08-27, 04:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
More to it than turing up the volume on a bad mix. Then they master it to optimum levels and make sure it hits hard and clear on all systems! Yea you have to pay for their "golden ears". It takes years of practice and time that i just don't have being a weekend bedroom producer. Time to go to the big dogs for mixing and mastering so my beats sound pro,thats all i need.
Old 2012-08-27, 05:33

iZotope has a pdf mastering guide for Ozone, their mastering suite.

It's written such that you can adapt the general concepts to your own situation.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/support.asp
Old 2012-08-27, 05:44

Quote:
Seems like an appropriate place for the topic. How about the 'Music' section?
Music section is for songs. Mixing is 5x more important than mastering.. if you have a bad mix mastering will just make it more obvious. It's something you do when you have a finished album, not a finished song.
Old 2012-08-27, 06:14

If you’re submitting a track to an agency or a record label, then have a Master do the mastering. If you’re putting a track on Soundcloud or some website for family and friends to enjoy, then master it yourself and learn what you can do. Mastering is like that perfect last dash of salt and pepper on a well mixed track instead of drowning it in barbeque sauce. You can learn to do it pretty darn good.

Anyway, if a Sony rep or someone hears a Soundcloud track of yours and likes it and knows that it’s “a diamond in the rough” and wants to make you rich and famous, then they’re going to re-master it anyway no matter who mastered it before. Your song is made of the midi and audio tracks created by you in the Sequencer. Anything can be changed about how the sounds sound.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:46

Quote:
I found on online mastering service that plan on using really soon ( http://www.promastering.org/#!about/ccjb ). They don't charge alot to master a song ($16) so I figured it's worth trying out.
Old 2012-08-27, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
I found on online mastering service that plan on using really soon ( http://www.promastering.org/#!about/ccjb ). They don't charge alot to master a song ($16) so I figured it's worth trying out.
For 16 smackers it sounds like they'll just slap an Ozone preset on and send it back.
Old 2012-08-28, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis View Post
For 16 smackers it sounds like they'll just slap an Ozone preset on and send it back.
Yyyup. Pretty much.