Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-27, 11:26

Instrument Mixing Levels - dance music

Just wondering if any of you follow some basic rules on the levels of various key instruments in your mix. Mine being:
kick: 0db
vocals: 0db
bass: -3db
everything else: -6db
Old 2012-08-27, 17:13

Do you have a lot of clipping running your levels that hot? I can't get anywhere near that. (I don't mix with a limiter if that helps...)
Old 2012-08-27, 18:29

No, no clipping here
Old 2012-08-27, 18:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
Just wondering if any of you follow some basic rules on the levels of various key instruments in your mix. Mine being:
Peak or VU?
0 dBFS Peak or 0 dB VU OFFSET (-12 dBFS)?
Is this fader levels or measured on a meter (see #1 if meter)?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;-)
USA
Old 2012-08-27, 19:38

Quote:
Each song is different and therefore should be mixed differently . Maybe shooting for the kick and bass to be at a certain level each time is ok if your starring off building your foundation but having every other sound at the same level just doesn't make any sense when I mix.
In "the audio engineers handbook" (the book I'm almost done reading) in chapter 11 talks about some rules to follow for proper gain staging. "RULE 1 the level of the channel faders should always stay below the subgroup or master fader. RULE 2 leave plenty of headroom.RULE 3 when using large amounts of eq or a plug in with gain, lower the channel fader rather than bringing up the other sounds " Page 105-107. This would be my advice for mixing levels for each song.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:45

I've never got the difference between the various types of levels - so, I'm referring to the channel levels, whatever they are.

I am only talking dance music here, which is highly formulaic, and I did say basic guide. Obviously there is room for artist interpretation.

Probably been doing something wrong for years, so thought I'd see what others think.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:50

Quote:
Funny I always find there's huge amounts of frequency and energy in the lower frequency spectrum and often mix by basses and kicks considerably lower than that depending on the material.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:53

Quote:
I've never got the difference between the various types of levels - so, I'm referring to the channel levels, whatever they are.

I am only talking dance music here, which is highly formulaic, and I did say basic guide. Obviously there is room for artist interpretation.

Probably been doing something wrong for years, so thought I'd see what others think.
Sorry, but channel levels as measured with a meter, or fader settings? Fader settings are meaningless without knowing the actual level. If a channel is peaking at -20 dBFS as opposed to 0 dBFS, the fader levels (when set the same) will give much different results.

If you mean channel levels as measured by the channel meter, you're probably also talking about using the VU offset (probably at the default setting, but who knows). So you're not doing anything wrong per se, but meter settings don't tell the whole story as to how loud a track SOUNDS to our ears. Probably good starting points though, especially if it's been working fine for you! :-)
USA
Old 2012-08-27, 20:35

So what are the measurements on the channel strips of the SSL? This is where my very limited technical knowledge falls down. I've always assumed that 0 on the channel fader was 0db, as that's when it starts going red? I always end up turning down the master fader though so the master output doesn't clip. Something tells me this is quite right.
Old 2012-08-27, 21:48

Quote:
So what are the measurements on the channel strips of the SSL? This is where my very limited technical knowledge falls down. I've always assumed that 0 on the channel fader was 0db, as that's when it starts going red? I always end up turning down the master fader though so the master output doesn't clip. Something tells me this is quite right.
If your channel faders are up higher than your master fader then you haven't left enough headroom. Channel faders should never be higher than the master fader. Read my post up top again to know some rules for propper gain staging.

Last edited by djfm1983; 2012-09-08 at 12:12.