Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-27, 11:56

Windows 8 support

Let this be the official Windows 8 thread for Reason. While I don't even have Windows 8 yet (even though I could, as a bizspark subscriber), I think it's important to consider the UI implications. Especially the metro split capabilities.

There's a lot of potential in this new UI paradigm. It would be really nice to have Reason 7 ready for something like this out of the gate. Anything to be able to avoid the desktop "app" in Windows 8.
Old 2012-08-27, 13:42

For what it's worth, Windows 8 is just a small evolutionary change under the hood - for the most part it's still Windows 7 (aside from the Metro-GUI). Reason worked fine under Windows 8 when I was testing it. Thankfully, the traditional desktop is available with one click.

Are you asking for a Metro-style GUI touch interface for Reason? That's a massive GUI-change fundamentally... Something like Figure's GUI on iOS. I just don't know if I could manage Reason in that manner on the desktop. But who knows!
Old 2012-08-27, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Thankfully, the traditional desktop is available with one click.
FWIU - it's one click every time you need it. That's more than one click.

Perhaps someone, somewhere actually post a video of using Win8 in Win7 desktop, rather than just another bitch about Metro (which I'm sure is justified, but not very useful from a review standpoint). The fact that such videos don't appear to exist suggests it's not as simple as "one click".

Even MicroSofts' own videos refuse to show this in detail (there is half-second shot of Excel, running in a window, the focus of which is then opening up some kind Metro app - so yes, it's not one click if you have to do it every time you switch apps). How for, example, does this effect running Reason in multi-window mode. Any? None?

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2012-08-27 at 15:03.
Old 2012-08-27, 14:44

Not sure how much is true, but there are several reports that Microsoft are removing the legacy code that enables the traditional desktop/start button to be revived.

Quote:
.......information I’ve received that Microsoft has been furiously ripping out legacy code in Windows 8 that would have enabled third parties to bring back the Start button, Start Menu, and other software bits that could have made this new OS look and work like its predecessor. In fact, I’ve seen that several well-known UI hacks that worked fine with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview are no longer functional in the coming Release Preview. And those with hopes that Microsoft would allow businesses, at least, to boot directly to the desktop should prepare for disappointment. That feature not only isn’t happening, it’s being removed from Windows Server 12 (Windows 8’s stable mate) as well.
These are the Google search results I trawled through

Looks we will have to wait and see.....
Old 2012-08-27, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
How for, example, does this effect running Reason in multi-window mode. Any? None?
Didn't affect mine. Again, when I tried the consumer preview, Reason worked just like it does on Windows 7. I run dual monitors.

I may be the exception to the crowd, but I didn't mind the Metro (well, what was previously know as Metro) interface start screen. Having to click the widget to get to the desktop was really no big deal. For that matter - it's not even necessary. Create a Reason shortcut on your start screen and bam - ONCE CLICK and you're running Reason!

It's no harder or more complicated than Windows 7, IMHO. Still, this is the biggest fundamental change to the Windows OS since '95... what was that, like 17-18 years ago? That's like the Cretaceous Era in tech years. I can see why people are freaking.

Hate to quote Steve Jobs' infamous email reply, but for me it's "no big deal".
Old 2012-08-27, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
Didn't affect mine. Again, when I tried the consumer preview, Reason worked just like it does on Windows 7. I run dual monitors.

I may be the exception to the crowd, but I didn't mind the Metro (well, what was previously know as Metro) interface start screen. Having to click the widget to get to the desktop was really no big deal. For that matter - it's not even necessary. Create a Reason shortcut on your start screen and bam - ONCE CLICK and you're running Reason!

It's no harder or more complicated than Windows 7, IMHO. Still, this is the biggest fundamental change to the Windows OS since '95... what was that, like 17-18 years ago? That's like the Cretaceous Era in tech years. I can see why people are freaking.
True enough, and I've not used Win8 at all, so I know judgment based on biased video previews is largely nonsense. Change for change sake though, or, worse, change to get on a bandwagon not everyone wants onto, can't be good. I mean, look at Explorer: it used to be really useful. In Win7 it can't even remember how I want to view it. No, I don't want to star-rate the 3,000 fucking wave samples I've just made. I want to know the name, size and date. And no, MS, I don't want to see only the first five letters of the file name and have to resize the column every goddamn time I reboot. At least in XP "view all folders like this one" tended to work most of the time. Other than that I like Win7 at lot. But fuck me, Explorer pisses me off.
Old 2012-08-27, 17:52

Quote:
And no, MS, I don't want to see only the first five letters of the file name and have to resize the column every goddamn time I reboot. At least in XP "view all folders like this one" tended to work most of the time. Other than that I like Win7 at lot. But fuck me, Explorer pisses me off.
Heheh - yeah Explorer, in its current form, can be quite irritating. The changes made for Explorer in Windows 8 were mostly for the better, though I didn't really mess around much with it in general.

Windows 8 elicits probably the most harshest camps in the OS's entire history. You'll either get on board and like it, or you'll loath it kicking and screaming. I personally feel it's a good move for them. They're unifying their mobile experience (via Windows Phone 7.5) and the desktop/tablet experience, as well as their Xbox experience. It's smart, though how it works still remains to be seen.

I can say from owning an iPad, I do find myself on it (the iPad) more so than my workstation for everything EXCEPT composing with Reason. I doubt I am the exception to the rule, so it makes sense for Microsoft to attempt to compete in this area. Windows 8 is that attempt. We'll see what the world thinks over the next year or two!
Old 2012-08-28, 01:29

Quote:
look at Explorer: it used to be really useful. In Win7 it can't even remember how I want to view it. No, I don't want to star-rate the 3,000 fucking wave samples I've just made. I want to know the name, size and date. And no, MS, I don't want to see only the first five letters of the file name and have to resize the column every goddamn time I reboot. At least in XP "view all folders like this one" tended to work most of the time. Other than that I like Win7 at lot. But fuck me, Explorer pisses me off.
I don't have that problem. explorer remembers my settings.

not sure what I did or didn't do...

organize >> folder and search options >> view | uncheck "fuck me" ???

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-08-28 at 01:32.
Old 2012-08-28, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
I don't have that problem. explorer remembers my settings.

not sure what I did or didn't do...

organize >> folder and search options >> view | uncheck "fuck me" ???
lol.

I kept going there, but it just doesn't want to listen to me. So still I bend over to the arse-sexy whims of Windows.
Old 2012-08-28, 14:09

Propellerhead tweeted yesterday that reason 6.5 is fully compatible with windows 8

Last edited by AsanteLawla; 2012-08-28 at 14:12.