Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-08-27, 15:04
Csw91's Avatar
Csw91 Csw91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 565
Question About sidechain compression?

I am wondering in how many cases when making songs are sidechain compression needed? Can you do anything without it, or is it sort of needed to make the song come "alive" with it's pulsing properties?

I've made a song without sidechain compression, but i'm not sure if it were such a good idea to leave the song without it.
Besides when would it be a "proper" moment to use sidechain? Are there any thumb rules about it?
  #2  
Old 2012-08-27, 15:44
EnochLight's Avatar
EnochLight EnochLight is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csw91 View Post
I am wondering in how many cases when making songs are sidechain compression needed? Can you do anything without it, or is it sort of needed to make the song come "alive" with it's pulsing properties?

I've made a song without sidechain compression, but i'm not sure if it were such a good idea to leave the song without it.
Besides when would it be a "proper" moment to use sidechain? Are there any thumb rules about it?
That's like asking, "when should I use distortion on my guitar"? Sidechain compression is just a production technique. If you like the way it sounds on your track, go for it! If not, no worries. There's no rules, per se..
__________________
  • "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of Reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Reason 7 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.2 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256 GB | Balance | Nektar Panorama P-4
  #3  
Old 2012-08-27, 16:04
Csw91's Avatar
Csw91 Csw91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochLight View Post
That's like asking, "when should I use distortion on my guitar"? Sidechain compression is just a production technique. If you like the way it sounds on your track, go for it! If not, no worries. There's no rules, per se..
Fair enough. Thank you.
  #4  
Old 2012-08-27, 16:37
sonictechtonic's Avatar
sonictechtonic sonictechtonic is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 317
I agree with Enoch. Trust your ears, reference on multiple systems and use your best judgement!

Though I will add that it is a fairly standard technique because it is so useful. I use at least one instance of it on almost every track I make. I sidechain the bass to the kick so that each has a little bit of space in the lower frequencies where things tend to get muddied up very quickly. (I also do opposite EQ notches on each track so they both have their own frequencies, but that's neither here nor there...)
  #5  
Old 2012-08-28, 19:30
Csw91's Avatar
Csw91 Csw91 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonictechtonic View Post
I agree with Enoch. Trust your ears, reference on multiple systems and use your best judgement!

Though I will add that it is a fairly standard technique because it is so useful. I use at least one instance of it on almost every track I make. I sidechain the bass to the kick so that each has a little bit of space in the lower frequencies where things tend to get muddied up very quickly. (I also do opposite EQ notches on each track so they both have their own frequencies, but that's neither here nor there...)
Thank you for your very useful information!
  #6  
Old 2012-08-28, 21:00
pushedbutton's Avatar
pushedbutton pushedbutton is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 5,587
I disagree. You should always use side chain compression on kick drums and bass. Without it you'll never be able to make your music sound like everyone else's. That's what we're all going for isn't it? Just as every track needs at least one instance of a pitched sweep and at least one snare roll leading up to a cheesy house organ, if you try to make a piece of music without sidechain compression somebody will come a long and tell you it's missing.
__________________
Loading SoundCloud…
This Is My Song
@pushedbutton on twitter
I live in Lancashire, England.
  #7  
Old 2012-08-28, 21:22
kloeckno's Avatar
kloeckno kloeckno is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,468
yeah, and EVERY song needs a breakdown in the middle and a "drop", there is a law in case you didn't know.
__________________
Eric Kloeckner
My YouTube Page

with my band:
Loading SoundCloud…
  #8  
Old 2012-08-28, 21:48
EnochLight's Avatar
EnochLight EnochLight is offline
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 5,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushedbutton View Post
I disagree. You should always use side chain compression on kick drums and bass. Without it you'll never be able to make your music sound like everyone else's. That's what we're all going for isn't it? Just as every track needs at least one instance of a pitched sweep and at least one snare roll leading up to a cheesy house organ, if you try to make a piece of music without sidechain compression somebody will come a long and tell you it's missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kloeckno View Post
yeah, and EVERY song needs a breakdown in the middle and a "drop", there is a law in case you didn't know.


__________________
  • "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of Reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | Reason 7 | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel i7 3770k Quad-Core @ 4.2 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256 GB | Balance | Nektar Panorama P-4
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun with sidechain compression picass069 Phead User Forum (read only) 0 2009-12-15 20:00
cross-DAW sidechain compression techniques? kage630 General Forum (read only) 1 2009-08-17 23:13
Sidechain compression set up ictustwin General Forum (read only) 0 2005-09-27 13:50
A good article on compression techniques Iron General Forum (read only) 1 2005-04-01 03:01
sidechain compression has arrived. setzer General Forum (read only) 4 2005-03-21 00:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:36.