Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-31, 21:43

Lightbulb My Classical music thus far

Some of you heard this stuff months ago when I wrote it but I'm re-posting for those who haven't. I received many inspiring comments and lots of great feadback and advice. Can't tell you how much of a help that is so thank you guys so very much.
As soon as I finished the last one, I decided to write a full traditional symphony, with 3 movements. Took a lot of studying how Sonata Form works, etc. I have learned... it aint easy! It is still in the works and might take up to a year. No tellin' how long. Anyway, for those of you who haven't heard this stuff yet, enjoy and share your thoughts. And yes, I am aware Reason/Orkester can sound a bit like plastic here and there but if I was rich I'd be using Hollywood Strings! I do what I can with what I have.
Well, here it is.

Opus 1 'A Dreamer's Dream'
Loading SoundCloud…

Opus 2 'Mystery'
Loading SoundCloud…

Opus 3 'Symphony of Love'
Loading SoundCloud…

https://soundcloud.com/last-alternative
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com/
Old 2012-09-01, 00:01

It's good to hear classical music on this forum.
I love classical and also ambiant stuff.
You done a great job.
I read on this forum the advice, from one user, to "bend" a little the srings sounds , making them a little more " natural".
if i understood well, he 's using Neptune for that.
Best
Michel
Old 2012-09-01, 01:12

Nice stuff beerski. Thanks for posting again. You've got great ideas..
Esoundz.com has a Labour Day weekend sale on the six individual Miroslav refills ($29.00 - when I log in the price is 27 dollars...)
http://www.esoundz.com/details.php?P...fcode=nl120830
Old 2012-09-01, 06:03

interesting work. like it
Old 2012-09-01, 10:41

It's all quite good, so don't let folks who expect you to come up with a live orchestra keep you from composing these pieces. As long as you have the midi you can always go back and apply little tips and tricks you've learned along the way.
Old 2012-09-01, 20:08

beerski, your arranging is improving in leaps and bounds, and it wasn't bad to start with.

Stick with this, and continue to experiment with different articulations that are available in Ork, and, if you get it, in Miroslav. Some of the artics in the Ork samples are better than in Miroslav, even if the sound quality itself isn't quite as rich.

In particular, the strings, of course, and the brass. For long brass notes, use the sfz samples.

It does still sound very MIDI, but like milk teeth, that will disappear with confidence and practice. Definitely need a better reverb and panning approach (I think we mentioned this before). Also timing, perhaps slow it down a tad, or more specifically use tempo adjustments to change the pace of different sections. Classical music doesn't really work when applied to the fixed bpms we're used to in modern music: the composers merely instruct the conductor to roughly what speed they have in mind! Hence why ten different recordings of Dundundun-dahhhhhhh are all completely different!
Old 2012-09-01, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Some of the artics in the Ork samples are better than in Miroslav, even if the sound quality itself isn't quite as rich.

In particular, the strings, of course, and the brass. For long brass notes, use the sfz samples.
I disagree about the strings. I like the Miroslav strings better. But the sfz samples are indeed awesome in Ork.

I also like the Ork flute samples better. They sound more realistic to me. The blowing on the Miroslav samples sounds a little synthetic when played quick in a legato fashion.

Last edited by mbain; 2012-09-01 at 20:53.
Old 2012-09-01, 22:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbain View Post
I disagree about the strings. I like the Miroslav strings better. But the sfz samples are indeed awesome in Ork.

I also like the Ork flute samples better. They sound more realistic to me. The blowing on the Miroslav samples sounds a little synthetic when played quick in a legato fashion.
Ya, there are few places where I prefer the Ork, inc flute, or even the ID8 flute I used recently. Oboe and Eng Horn too I've gravitated back to Ork.

Sometimes I'll even use both sets. For example working on Lusitania the other day the Miroslav pizzicato strings I found a bit "woolly", while the Ork pizzicato were a bit thin. So use both - Miro for the, er, "cato" and Ork for the "pizz", and whatever else you have for the "i" in the middle!! (Actually I ended up parallel processing the bass/cell pizzicato in typical parallel processed "bass" setup most of us are now familiar with, worked really well to bring out the slappiness).
Old 2012-09-01, 22:46

Wink

Well put together!
Old 2012-09-02, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
Ya, there are few places where I prefer the Ork, inc flute, or even the ID8 flute I used recently. Oboe and Eng Horn too I've gravitated back to Ork.

Sometimes I'll even use both sets. For example working on Lusitania the other day the Miroslav pizzicato strings I found a bit "woolly", while the Ork pizzicato were a bit thin. So use both - Miro for the, er, "cato" and Ork for the "pizz", and whatever else you have for the "i" in the middle!! (Actually I ended up parallel processing the bass/cell pizzicato in typical parallel processed "bass" setup most of us are now familiar with, worked really well to bring out the slappiness).
Lusitania? is that a musical or a soundtrack you're working on? I'd love to hear it.

In most of my pieces, I use about 80% Miroslav and the rest Orkestra.Digital Sound Factory has some excellent crash cymbals in their batterie combi that I can't find in Ork or Miro, so I even use those some times. The Digital Sound Factory Studio Orchestra has some really good instruments, but the combis take a real long time to load and are resource hogs, so I don't mess with them much. I originally thought Miroslav was the resource hog, but it was DSF,

It's neat that you use 2 different samples to merge the pizzi and the cato. I do that sometimes with my string ensemble tremolo,if I like the strings form one patch but the "tremolo" from another. But I don't do it in the combinator...I do it on the track itself. I'll record all but the last note in the main strings, then record that last note using the tremolo, then meld them perfectly together.