Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-08-28, 01:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasoner498 View Post
iZotope has a pdf mastering guide for Ozone, their mastering suite.

It's written such that you can adapt the general concepts to your own situation.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/support.asp
+1, this is an excellent resource.

~*Ryan Mals*~

Old 2012-08-28, 01:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis
For 16 smackers it sounds like they'll just slap an Ozone preset on and send it back.
If that's the case, I'll do it for $15/song.

And I'm running a special right now, 3 songs for $37.50.

Old 2012-08-28, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis View Post
Music section is for songs. Mixing is 5x more important than mastering.. if you have a bad mix mastering will just make it more obvious. It's something you do when you have a finished album, not a finished song.
Yes yes yes.

One of the 'break-through' moments I had in production was based on one of selig's long posts/"gems." As I began learned how to better put everything "in it's own place" within the mix--before mastering--songs sounded better overall.

Furthermore, based on my own experience, I really don't think it's possible to master your own music well given your own personal investment. Mastering its truly its own field separate from mixing when done well, and should function as a sonic touch-up rather than a band-aid for all the things you couldn't perfect in the mixing stage.

(Perhaps this is also the place to say that, once I learned how to properly use spectrum analyzer, volume meter, etc., my mixes improved dramatically--probably because it forced me to become more objective about the sound waves themselves.)

~*Ryan Mals*~

Old 2012-08-28, 01:12

check out these vids to get an idea of what mastering can do and how you can do this yourself.
I also use the Fabfilter pro-Q and pro-L for my mastering, cost me around 271 euro's but that's a one time investment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVRCT28d5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS0XC5CLNU
Old 2012-08-28, 03:16

What would you use Ozone? How about a free sample first to see if I like it, because I have 13 songs plus inserts.
Old 2012-08-28, 03:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis
What would you use Ozone? How about a free sample first to see if I like it, because I have 13 songs plus inserts.
Wait, is this for me?

If you want to send me a song, I'll be happy to go over it.

Just send me a pm with a dropbox link or an email address.
Old 2012-08-28, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkhead View Post
check out these vids to get an idea of what mastering can do and how you can do this yourself.
I also use the Fabfilter pro-Q and pro-L for my mastering, cost me around 271 euro's but that's a one time investment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVRCT28d5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlS0XC5CLNU
These are great videos, for sure. Very good demonstrations.

The Fabfilter tools are also amazing. I use em too. The pro-Q is worth every penny. Low on CPU, and very reliable.

On a more accessible level for everyone, the built-in EQ in Reaper, ReaEQ, is a very very nice tool as well. Similar to the pro-Q, in some ways. Also, very effective for what you need it to do.
Old 2012-08-28, 20:15

Sorry, but you cannot master without the calibrated room and the speakers.. and probably the experience and ears but you might just be a natural
Old 2012-08-28, 22:45

Mixing is everything, mastering is overrated.

Reason does provide the right patches for a decent master chain and the new SSL mixer is perfect for eq / sends / compress & even hiss removal (de-essers)

It does take time, but read into parallel compression, multiband compression, 4 band limiting, Mid-Side EQ Mastering, Stereoimaging, De-essers, lowpass & highpass filters etc

Googling those terms you can find great guides/tips on when to use them / how to use them in whichever genre you mix/produce. Learning those tools will greatly improve your mixing.

In my opinion you can find great information without having to purchase a tutorial/guide etc.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-09-02, 11:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smhillis View Post
I was contemplating sending my mix to a professional mastering engineer but I am taking it upon myself to dig deeper into the mastering myself. I keep finding new things I can do to make my mix sound more professional like noise reduction, hiss removal etc.. At this point I think I might do it myself and save hundreds of dollars. I was wondering if anyone else has taken this approach and can give me some more tips on what exactly a mastering engineer would do to my mix? I'm scared that if I used a pro they would charge me a lot and then just turn up the volume or something.
Not really. A good Mastering engineer has a totally different set of HiFi gears at his disposal. Ever heard of HD separation? Its used by top MEs. Ok the point is this: if you're after that 'produced' sound and seek commercial success you should have your songs mastered by a pro. That said, you should concentrate on 'perfecting' your mix. Focus on submitting a well crafted and balanced mix to a good ME and see. You can check out Bernie Grundman mastering and also Brian Gardner. Mayn't cost you so much if you aim to release your album internationally. Check their credits. Good mastering makes a clear difference. Thank you.