Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-01, 15:00

I've had and used about a dozen controllers over the years. Studio Logic, M-Audio, CME, Korg, Doepfer. As of a week ago I've been exploring the P4. And *dayum* does it put the standard midi implementation of the other ones I've used to shame.
I'd buy mine again without hesitation if I had to choose again.

And that's even without the fab Reason implementation, which knowing what I know now (including build quality), makes it a no-brainer for me.
Old 2012-09-02, 22:42

P4 it is Im beginning to think.

Wonder when Pheads will realise that Reason would be AMAZING for film scoring and give us video??? Then my choices would be much easier......
Old 2012-09-02, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
Im not fussed about the keyboard action really.... im a novice key player...

im more interested in ease of midi mapping. thanks though.
Its not very good, I thought it was shite considering I had to re map everything anyway. Nektar 110% if you want a keyboard controller stop thinking about alternatives imho
Old 2012-09-03, 00:38

Can't comment on the Novation boards but I am very impressed with my P4.
BIG +1 for the P4 from me!
Old 2012-09-03, 05:31

Im other news, Novation said they will be implementing REs in automap. Sometime. Before next year. Maybe. Waiting. Not yet. Just a little more time.

Forget that grief, P4. I have automap, and ts nice sometimes, but usually a hasle. If. was buying today, no brainer. Havent touched a P4, but im willing to trust the glowing review of most everyone whos laid hands on it.
Old 2012-09-03, 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeppel View Post
Im other news, Novation said they will be implementing REs in automap. Sometime. Before next year.
LOL - is there really such thing as "implementing RE"? (hint: NO).

Isn't it a separate mapping required for EACH RE that is relased? (hint: YES).

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-09-03, 15:08

Enochlight - I'm not sure of all of the advantages of the P4, but I'm sure it's a great unit. I was only adding some awareness to Novation's SL MKII. Sounds great that rack extensions would be supported though. Fortunately, most any reasonably descent controller on some pro scale will allow you to save and customize your own settings, and libraries. Modifying, then saving a whole new layout of controls is something controllers should be able to do quickly and easily. As to weather Novation is supporting Re’s, I have not checked. I’ll just say it is too easy to just configure one’s own. However, there’s probably automap libraries from user groups, or even in the Props forums that could be downloaded for that matter. I’ve seen automap sharing.

Borderline - Good luck finding a controller! Should be fun, but take your time as it's going to be your interface into Reason and other DAW that you mentioned you use. A few beers and figuring it all out is part of the fun.

At the risk of confusing your decision further, The SL MKII's controls are touch sensitive, so even seeing the last parameter used is visible on screen in some DAW's such as Studio One. In other words, it minimizes moving the wrong fader or control. Personally, I hate changing settings I did not mean to alter only to then find the intended fader/knob/mute/solo, etc. It's not always an easy thing especially when there's 20 plus channels going on. If controls are visible with LED's, that does help, so visual or touch feedback is helpful, imo. The P4 while not having LED’s on knobs, does have a pretty usable LCD screen. I suspect the visual feedback on these two are a tie.

It may not be a bad idea to call customer support for any controller you're looking into, so you get an idea of service before you buy and are then stuck with crappy support. I can tell you from experience M-Audio Axiom manuals are terrible, offer no figures and are poorly translated. You may if you have time, try to download each manual to also get a better understanding of what each company offers. Some companies cut corners and have engineers or bad translators try to interpret functionality and are clueless as to whom the clientele is they are selling to.

Oh, one more thing, the P4 has an additional USB plug for the 100mm fader. Sounds like a real after thought there. You can buy the same thing from Presonus (Faderport) for whatever controller you have, or don’t have for that matter. Btw, the faderport has it’s own very nice controls, like transport, etc. but no keyboard.

Decisions, decisions. Good luck searching, and getting that cool controller!

Just added this... it's from Novations website.
Will Automap 4.4 support Reason 6.5 Rack Extensions?

We are currently talking with Propellerheads about this.
It will require a new build of Automap which we hope to be implimented in the future.If you have any futher questions please contact us via the Support Contact Form

Last edited by Lokeyfly; 2012-09-03 at 15:25.
Old 2012-09-03, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokeyfly View Post
Enochlight - I'm not sure of all of the advantages of the P4, but I'm sure it's a great unit. I was only adding some awareness to Novation's SL MKII. Sounds great that rack extensions would be supported though. Fortunately, most any reasonably descent controller on some pro scale will allow you to save and customize your own settings, and libraries. Modifying, then saving a whole new layout of controls is something controllers should be able to do quickly and easily. As to weather Novation is supporting Re’s, I have not checked. I’ll just say it is too easy to just configure one’s own. However, there’s probably automap libraries from user groups, or even in the Props forums that could be downloaded for that matter. I’ve seen automap sharing.

Borderline - Good luck finding a controller! Should be fun, but take your time as it's going to be your interface into Reason and other DAW that you mentioned you use. A few beers and figuring it all out is part of the fun.

At the risk of confusing your decision further, The SL MKII's controls are touch sensitive, so even seeing the last parameter used is visible on screen in some DAW's such as Studio One. In other words, it minimizes moving the wrong fader or control. Personally, I hate changing settings I did not mean to alter only to then find the intended fader/knob/mute/solo, etc. It's not always an easy thing especially when there's 20 plus channels going on. If controls are visible with LED's, that does help, so visual or touch feedback is helpful, imo. The P4 while not having LED’s on knobs, does have a pretty usable LCD screen. I suspect the visual feedback on these two are a tie.

It may not be a bad idea to call customer support for any controller you're looking into, so you get an idea of service before you buy and are then stuck with crappy support. I can tell you from experience M-Audio Axiom manuals are terrible, offer no figures and are poorly translated. You may if you have time, try to download each manual to also get a better understanding of what each company offers. Some companies cut corners and have engineers or bad translators try to interpret functionality and are clueless as to whom the clientele is they are selling to.

Oh, one more thing, the P4 has an additional USB plug for the 100mm fader. Sounds like a real after thought there. You can buy the same thing from Presonus (Faderport) for whatever controller you have, or don’t have for that matter. Btw, the faderport has it’s own very nice controls, like transport, etc. but no keyboard.

Decisions, decisions. Good luck searching, and getting that cool controller!

Just added this... it's from Novations website.
Will Automap 4.4 support Reason 6.5 Rack Extensions?

We are currently talking with Propellerheads about this.
It will require a new build of Automap which we hope to be implimented in the future.If you have any futher questions please contact us via the Support Contact Form
Don't get me wrong - the Novation looks like a nice controller. It's the out-of-box instant support where the P4 easily trumps it. No need to bother saving or setting up parameters - especially with the supported Rack Extensions. It "just works".

The 100mm fader - not sure why you feel it's an afterthought. It works as advertised, and works well. The second USB port to power it, while a pain for those with limited ports - can be powered via a USB wall wart. I suppose it's a small price to pay for the convenience of the motorized fader.

Regardless, I'm sure the OP will be happy with either board.
Old 2012-09-03, 18:04

It's all pretty much individual taste

Sounds like the P4 is a great unit and hardware extension of Reason! External USB plug included.

Since the OP stated "Please consider Reason is not my only DAW", it's worth adding some of those additional items.

Given the choice of touch sensitivity, and speed dial, I'd buy the SL MKII again right now. I also use the controller along with another DAW, so that's why it's worthy to bring some of those features to the table.

Some may feel the Novation Automap is a pain to have to hit a button to bring up on screen (though it can be resized and stay on the screen if desired). Others may feel that seeing mapping on a computer screen is a hell of a lot better than the small (but still clear) screen on the P4. To me the screen on the P4 looks "toyish". Still, it's all about personal taste. I'm almost in favor of the toyish P4 screen, but I can't say for sure. You get the point though.

Maybe Props will one up everybody and come up with their own hardware controller, but nobody including Borderline should wait if there's no announcement.

I don't think anyone can go wrong with either of these two controllers. They both perform as advertized.