Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-03, 19:31

Barbie Trapped the Googoyles

Not sure where this fits genre wise. It's got an old school electro back end, there's one dub step style drop and the main leads are C64 style wobbly chord things.

Bugger is, I spent around 3 days perfecting the drum set up and it doesn't want to work with any other tracks :/

http://soundcloud.com/pixelmasochist...-the-googoyles

Built with love and Reason!
Old 2012-09-03, 19:47

I think its kinda cool. It could be less "crazy" though as the main/first synth is actually pretty "cool" or "mighty". Personally I think the track can take fewer different notes and fewer "splashing" breaks, especially in the beginning Would make it more "serious ass kicking". Also when the "bubbling" upper synth comes in I miss some other, maybe bass instrument coming in with it at that moment, it has very few effect. Mixing wise I'd put less compression on the drums, they got almost no impact anymore.. Maybe more overall bus compression, I guess you got the SSL bus comp already in?
Apart from that, really cool
Old 2012-09-03, 21:42

Cool

Whatever genre it is, it's very cool! Like the groove in this one a lot! I'd like to see the intro notes tightened up and more defined. The melodies are very good, though I think the main riff goes on a bit too long before the drop. A little more rev on the snare when it goes into the slow part would sound good, imo.
I enjoyed this! Good stuff!
Old 2012-09-03, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhansen View Post
I think its kinda cool. It could be less "crazy" though as the main/first synth is actually pretty "cool" or "mighty". Personally I think the track can take fewer different notes and fewer "splashing" breaks, especially in the beginning
I think a later point hits on why there are so many splashing brakes as the drum sound is pretty weak.

Quote:
when the "bubbling" upper synth comes in I miss some other, maybe bass instrument coming in with it at that moment it has very few effect.
That's possibly down to my reliance on sub for bottom, I tend to forget about an actual bass sound.

Quote:
Mixing wise I'd put less compression on the drums, they got almost no impact anymore.. Maybe more overall bus compression, I guess you got the SSL bus comp already in?
Ahhhh, you spotted it

This is what happens when you try to be clever. I had my geek on when I'd set this up, not my ears. I always separate my drums, each has it's own channel and I use the Kong as a trigger for my kick, snare, hat combi's etc... In this I thought I'd try and be clever by taking each drum output and passing them all to compressor as well as the individual SSL line, that way I could EQ the compressed version in a different way. I'll just chalk this one up as a failed experiment, although I'm certain that some one with a better understanding would make better use of the idea. This is also the point where someone explains that Reason can do this any way

Thanks nhansen, really appreciate the feed back and pointers you give, always a pleasure

Old 2012-09-03, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratatonic View Post
Whatever genre it is, it's very cool! Like the groove in this one a lot! I'd like to see the intro notes tightened up and more defined.
I'm pretty lazy, so I'll take this one on the chin. Instead of programming some variations on that riff I just used (relied on more like) Buffre to mix them up a bit, lame, I know

Quote:
The melodies are very good, though I think the main riff goes on a bit too long before the drop.
Fair shout. I'll look into another version after I fix the drum parts, it'll probably work better with a much stronger drum sound.

Quote:
A little more rev on the snare when it goes into the slow part would sound good, imo.
I enjoyed this! Good stuff!
Yeah, there's actually a snare in there (that's obviously being masked by the mess I made) which has a much longer decay and it's used in the slower parts only. It's there, just needs a better mix to bring it out

Old 2012-09-04, 04:58

Cool stuff

I like the arrangement and build up of it. The "telephone" sound patch, in my opinion could use some speed up and slow down of the pulse. That's just my general opinion of any wobble. Sorry to lay it on you. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the song.