Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-04, 18:23

Reason 6.5, Before Buy Questions

Hello @ all,

my name is Tom and i am from Germany, i have a few questions about Reason 6.5. I am totaly new to reason, i started making music with ableton live intro but i don't like it so much, because of the workflow. I make synthesizer and sampler based electro music and Reason seems to be great for that, especially when i look at all the synths and samplers that comes with it, Reason seems to have a more hardware orientated workflow and it's could be perfect for me.

Sorry but i hope my english is not to bad, these are the questions that keep me from buying it immediately

1. My local music store has only the Reason 6.0 Box http://www.musik-produktiv.de/propel...eason-6-0.html, when i buy it these days, the upgrade to version 6.5 is for free, right?

2. What's about that dongle, i have to authorize this, ok i understand, but how it works when i update or upgrade Reason, must this dongle authorize again every update, means when 6.0 is installed and authorized, then i update to 6.5, must this dongle authorize again, 6.5.1 authorize again, 6.5.2 authorize again and so on, have i authorize the dongle with every upcoming update/upgrade or once the dongle is authorized to my Reason then that's it? I think and i fear this could be very annoying or frustrating when the dongle needs to authorize every update, i read furthermore that many users have problems with the dongle and the authorizing process, usb dongle, authorize software, codemeter software, this seems absolutly complicated, is that really so or is it ok and easy.

3. A question to Midi and external hardware, i know reason doesn't have Midi Out but i have a Novation Ultranova Synthesizer, which have USB to Midi besides the classic Midi In, is it possible to send Midi over USB to my Ultranova, if it's not possible, is there any other way to control my Ultranova via Reason, without Rewire and another DAW.

I hope that anybody can help and i thank you in advance.

Best regards
Tom
Old 2012-09-04, 18:36

Hi

1. Reason 6.5 is a free upgrade for every Reason 6.0 owner, so you will get this for free and be able to use Rack Extensions.

2. The process of authorizing or putting a new license on the ignition key is like a 2 click process, so it's really not that hard and I never had issues with it, not even now where the key is also used to handle all your trial licenses for Rack Extensions. Also, for the latest 6.5.1 I didn't need to authorize again, since its build on the 6.5 license.

3. The missing MIDI out in Reason doesn't mean it will work if you are using something via USB, since it's a basic functionality that is missing in Reason - sending out MIDI data to another device. I don't use any external instruments, but there are some ways of doing it, if I'm not completely wrong. Though, I'm not sure how useful these methods are.

(Feel free to write me a private message in German if you have more questions. )

Last edited by emotica; 2012-09-04 at 18:40.
Old 2012-09-04, 18:45

you can download the try the demo version ( https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason/ ).

The demo is the full current version 6.5.1 - the only thing you cannot do is open songs that you create - you can, however, save them, and also open the demo songs.

FYI, you also cannot try rack extensions with the demo version of reason, you need to own a R6.5 license to access rack extensions.

You can even hook up your controller, etc, to really see how it will work.

If you decide to purchase Reason 6, you would not install R6, just register the license to your account, then click the button to add the free R6.5 upgrade to your account, then authorize that on your ignition key.

You only need to re-authorize your ignition key on x.0 and x.5 releases, the smaller x.x.1, x.x.2 releases do not have a separate license (so 6.5.0, 6.5.1, 6.5.2, etc, will all use the same 6.5 license).

When you connect your USB controller to reason, you get bi-directional information related to is as a controller, but it if is also a synth, you cannot send midi notes from reason to play the hardware synth.

So your midi notes will go from your controller to reason, as well as pitch bend, mod wheel, knobs and faders (to control parameters on various devices) - and if your controller supports it, when you switch devices in reason, the names/etc will appear on the screen on your controller.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-09-05, 10:38

Thank you very much guys for helping me.

About one thing i have to ask you again, you said i can now install the current Reason demo version, which is version 6.5.1, and when i buy the box, which is version 6.0, i don't need to install this older version, i can register and authorize the installed demo version directly with the serial number and the dongle from the 6.0 box, after that the demo version turns into the full version, is that right or am i wrong, how it works, i can't find no documentation about this procedure?

Sad to hear that Midi is not working over USB with my Ultranova, i love this synth and i would use it together with Reason, of course without rewire another DAW like e.g. Ableton Live only for Midi Out, because that makes no sense in my opinion, when i must use Ableton Live for Midi Out anyway, then i might use Ableton Live entirely for making my music and i don't need Reason anymore, i don't understand why this is not working, Propellerhead said Reason is all i need but for simple Midi to USB i need to buy an other DAW Software, maybe i can sample the sounds from the Ultranova but that's not really the same and a very bad compromise. Is there really no way to control my Ultranova from Reason, i almost can't believe?

Best regards
Tom
Old 2012-09-05, 13:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsot
About one thing i have to ask you again, you said i can now install the current Reason demo version, which is version 6.5.1, and when i buy the box, which is version 6.0, i don't need to install this older version, i can register and authorize the installed demo version directly with the serial number and the dongle from the 6.0 box, after that the demo version turns into the full version, is that right or am i wrong, how it works, i can't find no documentation about this procedure?
You can install the current demo version, which is 6.5.1. When you receive the box version, you don't nee to install 6.0., you just need to register it to your user account.

Then if you go to the download page again, you'll see a banner ad to receive your 6.5 update. Click that, and the 6.5 serial number will be added to your account. Then you can click the "manage license" link for 6.5 to add it to the usb key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omsot
Sad to hear that Midi is not working over USB with my Ultranova, i love this synth and i would use it together with Reason, of course without rewire another DAW like e.g. Ableton Live only for Midi Out, because that makes no sense in my opinion, when i must use Ableton Live for Midi Out anyway, then i might use Ableton Live entirely for making my music and i don't need Reason anymore, i don't understand why this is not working, Propellerhead said Reason is all i need but for simple Midi to USB i need to buy an other DAW Software, maybe i can sample the sounds from the Ultranova but that's not really the same and a very bad compromise. Is there really no way to control my Ultranova from Reason, i almost can't believe?
It is what it is. Reason doesn't have MIDI output, and you can't use it to control your synthesizer. If you want the sounds to use in Reason, you'll need to sample them.

And yes, just using Live instead is an option. There are many people here that have hardware synths and have to use another program with them. I don't know if Propellerhead will ever add MIDI out to Reason, but I think that they eventually will.

Anyways, since you seem a bit unsure about purchasing Reason, go ahead and use the demo version for awhile. You'll find out soon enough if the unique features are right for you.
Old 2012-09-06, 09:20

Thank you very much and you are right, i am totaly unsure about purchasing Reason. Now i will try the demo for a while but when i can not use my Ultranova with Reason i think it would be better i go further with Ableton Live Intro and update it to full version instead of buying Reason, and so i also don't have this dongle trouble. Thank you guys for helping me, Tom.
Old 2012-09-06, 13:19

I was afraid of all the manipulations too.
But i bought Reason 6.5 online , on the Props site, then i got immediatly my authorisation code, and few days later, i received the physical stuff, ( disc, ignition key, stickers) It's was super easy to make all work.

Best
Michel
Old 2012-09-06, 15:13

For future reference if you buy any rack extensions you can not re sell them, just an fyi.
Old 2012-09-20, 09:37

OMG when i read all these threads here where so much people have so much trouble with that Authorizer software and Ignition Key dongle i must say that i'm totaly happy that i have decided to upgrading and using my Ableton Live, it works properly and authorizing Live 8 is a one click process of seconds and absolutly painless, once it is authorize you can use it, no need to authorize it everytime it starts or updates, no dongle detection on every start, that method is very user friendly and works properly. Maybe Propellerhead change their copy protection method or make it work properly in the future and than i will go on board. I will make music and have fun with the software i'm using and have payed for and do not care about the copy protection everytime i start my software and make them hopefully work. I understand that copy protection is important nowadays no question and Propellerheads method protect very successfull that's for sure but obviously it is very annoying for legal users because it doesn't work properly and honestly i think it is really a stupid idea when you treat your legal users and fanbase this way with such a frustrating copy protection, that plus no Midi Out keeps me off from buying Reason.

Regards from Germany
Tom

Last edited by omsot; 2012-09-20 at 09:46.
Old 2012-09-20, 12:07

Hi you have to uninstall the old version inc the authorizer as in reason 6.5 they use a new version of authorizer and you have to send the details of the new version to your ignition key it's no big deal .
As for midi out for your hardware synth there is no way to control it in reason alone and when you rewire reason is the slave so you cant record it in reason this is the only thing i don't like about reason it's a shame but finger's crossed future reason version's will have midi out .
hope this help's
tommy