Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-03, 11:23

thank you selig you really just broke it all down for me!
wow!! but i still have a lot of work to improve on my mixing
its a process!
but i also wanted to know are you aiming for -12dbf before you put on the master suite!?
Old 2012-09-03, 17:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardry View Post
thank you selig you really just broke it all down for me!
wow!! but i still have a lot of work to improve on my mixing
its a process!
but i also wanted to know are you aiming for -12dbf before you put on the master suite!?
I'm not talking about mixing reference levels, I'm talking about CHANNEL levels. For mixing I aim for around -3 dBFS or so. ;-)
USA
Old 2012-09-03, 19:06

I'm still struggling with the concept of people mixing at such low levels. What is the difference between:

a)your channels peaking at 0 and just pulling the main fader down so the actual output is around -4 to be mastered

AND

b)your channels peaking at -12 and having the main fader up so the actual output is around -4 to be mastered?

I've never had a mastering engineer mention any problem
Old 2012-09-04, 04:41

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
What is the difference between:
a)your channels peaking at 0 and just pulling the main fader down so the actual output is around -4 to be mastered
AND
b)your channels peaking at -12 and having the main fader up so the actual output is around -4 to be mastered?
Imagine a cardboard box with lots of sellotape around it giving it stability. You can overfill it quite a lot before the tape will give way. The quality of mixers allows you to get away with quite a lot, but there is a breaking point, and there is a bunch of tell tale signs along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
I've never had a mastering engineer mention any problem
The chief reason for this is probably that your sound set fits being a bit saturated. I make a lot of jazzy kinda fidget-y house stuff, and can get away with quite a lot of compression and a loud mix. I sometimes also make chilled melodic trip-hop kinda stuff, and this doesn't get away with lots of compression, so I try and mix very quietly and subtly.

I learned to mix loud successfully far easier than I learned to mix quietly. Loud I now do pretty well, but still years to go on gentle and subtle stuff. In fact the mixes I do tend to sound melodic and nice, but still quite in your face and not exactly chilled a lot of the time, so it ends up sounding like a great hip-hop beat, which many enjoy, but it's really not what I was attempting.
Old 2012-09-04, 19:46

I always set the input gain of each track around -8, -6 db on Peak (using the master meters for that).
Then I EQ conflicting freqs away.
Then I twiggle the faders for level settings...
Then I turn up the master level with Maximizer...

Oh... I forgot... I always have the master compressor on with a little compression...