Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-01-08, 20:23

Reason using WINE on Ubuntu

Hi
I have a windows 7 machine which i'll use for Reason, HOWEVER, i'd really like to use it also on my laptop which runs Ubuntu linux. I tried running it using WINE (windows emulation), and could not get it to run properly (I think theres a problem with CodeMeter starting up which breaks everything else).

I am not expecting you propellerheads guys to make a serious financial commitment to supporting native linux (though that would be nice :-) but you could offer a couple of copies of Reason to top WINE developers in exchange for them working through the issues and making relevant fixes to WINE to support it, or at least to get it more or less functional. Generally I do not have problems running windows software using WINE (including Reaper) so i'm pretty sure it would also not be a major piece of work for experienced WINE devs to make the relevant patches

Fingers crossed,

David
Old 2012-01-08, 23:01

I got Reason 4 to run in WINE on FreeBSD which was quite impressive because WINE was running in a Linux translation layer on FreeBSD and then Reason was running in a Windows translation layer in WINE. There was quite a loss of CPU resource obviously but it did work. The problem would be getting hardware (especially the dongle on R6) to work.
Old 2012-01-09, 21:58

I don't think hardware is a problem. The dongle is just a usb device and will be accessed by Reason/CodeMeter using the windows usb API. This API is emulated by WINE so there should not be a problem.

As I said in the first post, the initial problem after installation under WINE seems to be that CodeMeter dies, this is probably due to some bugs/incomplete implementation of SSL stuff (or included certificates or something) which I expect CodeMeter uses for authentication (obviously thats pure speculation).

Anyway, to restress, please Propellerheads offer a couple of copies of Reason to some top WINE devs to try and motivate them to get it functional.

David
Old 2012-01-10, 04:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrperkins View Post
I got Reason 4 to run in WINE on FreeBSD which was quite impressive because WINE was running in a Linux translation layer on FreeBSD and then Reason was running in a Windows translation layer in WINE. There was quite a loss of CPU resource obviously but it did work. The problem would be getting hardware (especially the dongle on R6) to work.
Getting freebsd up and running at all is kind of impressive.
Old 2012-01-10, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd3 View Post
Hi
I have a windows 7 machine which i'll use for Reason, HOWEVER, i'd really like to use it also on my laptop which runs Ubuntu linux. I tried running it using WINE (windows emulation), and could not get it to run properly (I think theres a problem with CodeMeter starting up which breaks everything else).

I am not expecting you propellerheads guys to make a serious financial commitment to supporting native linux (though that would be nice :-) but you could offer a couple of copies of Reason to top WINE developers in exchange for them working through the issues and making relevant fixes to WINE to support it, or at least to get it more or less functional. Generally I do not have problems running windows software using WINE (including Reaper) so i'm pretty sure it would also not be a major piece of work for experienced WINE devs to make the relevant patches

Fingers crossed,

David
It should work under a virtual machine like vmware's player or virtualbox? never tried Reason under it -- but I dont see why it wouldn't work

Tell me how that goes if you do try that out -- but it's only useful if you have a spare licence of Windows

edit: All USB devices work fairly transparently too
Old 2012-01-11, 00:20

love ubuntu very fast and it stays that way i have a dual boot with windows 7 it takes 7 seconds to boot i hope we will get to see props software easily install on this os
Old 2012-01-14, 19:32

Any propellerheads care to comment ?
Old 2012-05-11, 09:41

hmm,

supporting the wine developers would be a nice idea. i think synapse audio did this once for orion. but personally i would prefer a native version for linux.

come on, this couldn't be that hard. propellerheads always was very innovative. the first "daw" on linux however is renoise. it works flawless under linux with all the different sound architectures offered. the next big daw for linux will be bitwig. bitwig is like ableton, because most of developers worked at ableton before. and, last but not least, ardour is on it's way to become a fully functional daw. ah, and i forgott energyxt.

but i want reason, because i love it. the day a linux version of reason will be released, i definitely erase windows from all of my computers!

the reason that there are not many people who make musik with linux is that there was no good software to do this. sure, there are many solutions, but there was nothing easy to use install and run software since renoise came out. but working with trackers is somewhat special, too.

so... come on props, what do we need to do to have a linux version???

ps: sry if my english is not that good, didn't talk english for a while!
Old 2012-09-05, 05:15

Same here. I would love to be able to run it on Ubuntu, a fast, clean operating system...
Already emailed Propellerheads about it, and hopefully they'll oblige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddd3 View Post
Hi

Fingers crossed,

David
Old 2012-09-05, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmofficial View Post
It should work under a virtual machine like vmware's player or virtualbox? never tried Reason under it -- but I dont see why it wouldn't work
Work, yes usable no. You'd need an absolute beast of a machine to pull this off. I'm also pretty certain that the audio out would buckle as it's not built for latency compensation. And to be fair Linux audio support isn't all that awesome, sure there's support for most generic drivers but pro cards?

It is a beautiful idea. I would dearly love to see Reason running in Linux, but under wine I think it would function as nothing more than a gimmick and wouldn't be seriously useable.

There are a lot of threads relating to Reason in Linux too, most of the props that have commented have stated that the issues lie with no concise UI (yes, there's QT, GTK+, EFL and FLTK to name a few), but to get the full power that is reason to function props would either need to heavily customise an existing interface or create their own UI API. Then there's the issue with sound cards.

Built with love and Reason!