Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-09-05, 05:33

Feature Suggestion : 2 words...MIDI OUT

Just cos I know no-one could possibly have already asked for it, we REALLY need midi out.

I have a lot of friends who love the look of Reason but just won't use it as their only DAW cos there's no midi out.

It's the last step to world domination, why haven't Propellerhead done it already?

Surely it would'nt introduce instability so what other reason could there be?
Old 2012-09-05, 06:06

They're working on it. I can feel it in my jimmies.

In the meantime... rewire?
Old 2012-09-05, 13:10

We really should have had the 'Official MIDI-out' thread as a sticky!

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=140316
Old 2012-09-06, 05:29

trolling daily here, for any signs of hope that i'll be able to use a moog, virus, or pigtronix infinity floor looper all by themselves in reason with no host!!!!
Old 2012-09-06, 18:26

Why does the midi Out is a big need to users ?
IMHO, the application has not really a user friendly sequencer like most Midi In/Out software, and is most more a pack of instruments used as slaves, with great Audio In, than a master.
Old 2012-09-07, 01:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanor View Post
Why does the midi Out is a big need to users ?
IMHO, the application has not really a user friendly sequencer like most Midi In/Out software, and is most more a pack of instruments used as slaves, with great Audio In, than a master.
There are much more high brow sequencer's out there, nobody in their right mind would argue otherwise....
For me, reason brings a simplicity, an ability to freeflow ideas quickly without getting mental...keeping it in artistic, not tech mindset....
At this phase of my musical inspiration, that, "Keeping it creative and simple" is worth more then other complex features. My creative time is valuable and limited with other life demands... Midi out would let me bring in hardware to benefit from that simple work flow...

You know, after 10 years of DAW use, I actually miss just picking up my guitar, going on a drive and finding an inspiring spot to play for a few hours...The producer mind set brings a higher standard that complicates that.....Reason "almost" brings me back to that place where I am on musical auto pilot.
Old 2012-09-07, 10:26

ahh midi out....for so long I dreamed of it..Im a reason user since 1.0...i also dreamed of audio ..finally got that but with the dongle nightmare. hate that damn thing. hate having to plug it in to use my software. anyway...midi out is the last thing really keeping me (and oh so many that have been asking for this basic feature for years and years) from having reason as the best music software in the world. I love reason for its stability, low cpu, and hardware like design. its quick and musical. midi out would let me use it in much more creative ways. seems like such an easy thing to add. I've even hated and swore off reason many times for their stubborn refusal to add this...but I always come back...its just too awesome a program...nothing else like it really.

But...there has been no shortage (understatement!) of impasioned pleas and logical arguments as to why midi out is such a glaring and strange omission. And of course you also get the idiots who argue against midi out....but never the less...pheads will do what they do, when they do...nothing we do changes that...its a take it or leave it attitude they seem to have...i do hope they finaly add it...

however, until (if) they do..what is a work around other than rewiring to a DAW? I hate that approach. it kills the creative flow.
Old 2012-09-07, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by modular7 View Post
however, until (if) they do..what is a work around other than rewiring to a DAW? I hate that approach.
I also wanted it since way back. For so long that I'm tired of wanting it. I don't really care now, they had their chance (!) and I'm not expecting to like how they add it in, when they finally do. Shame really.

But basically Midi gives you sync options, that's all. Nothing stopping you just playing along and recording. Or sequencing separately, but you don't have to be a DAW knob There are some cool hardware sequencers, and loads of intriguing little toy sequencer apps - from 808-style grid apps to Euclidean pattern generators, on every platform going - that can add a lot of flavour just by being outside of your main composition tool.