Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-11, 01:58

Cool Reason 6.5 does not recognize work done on 6.0.

Thanks for your help. I was having problems with 6.5 in which windows were opening without me pressing any buttons. I did not have this problem with 6.0 doing this. Therefore, I had reinstalled 6.0 or "backward" installation. I notice that the work I have done on 6.5 is now giving the message: "does not support this format" when I attempt to open the file. Does anyone know about a patch or fix?

Thanks again

Bruce
Old 2012-09-11, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Thanks for your help. I was having problems with 6.5 in which windows were opening without me pressing any buttons. I did not have this problem with 6.0 doing this. Therefore, I had reinstalled 6.0 or "backward" installation. I notice that the work I have done on 6.5 is now giving the message: "does not support this format" when I attempt to open the file. Does anyone know about a patch or fix?
Your thread title and thread body say opposite things and I think the issue in the body is what you are asking about.

You cannot open a file that was opened/saved/created in R6.5 with R6.0 or any previous version.

Like most (all?) software, you can use the newer versions of software to open files created in older versions, but older versions can't open files created with newer versions.

Why? Because when they create the new version, they are aware of the older format(s) and can support opening them and mapping them into the new format. But when they created the older version, they have no idea what the format will look like in the future versions.

What you can do is re-install 6.5, open your files, export all of your midi and audio tracks - or bounce everything to audio and export it... then go back to R6.0 and import the tracks and re-construct the track.

Meanwhile, you shouldn't have had issues with R6.5. Did you ever install the 6.5.1 update and try that?

What are your computer specs and OS? There were known issues with 6.5.0 on 32-bit OS that were fixed in the 6.5.1 update.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-09-11, 06:22

Thanks Steve, Sorry for the misconception. Yes the thread body is what I was driving at. I will try your suggestion. That makes sense. I was under the impression that updates can go backwards and I thought all formats would be accepted or written into the program, seems logical but unrealistic. I did install 6.5 but I did not test whether it is having the same problems. I was thinking that there may be a conflict with another program loaded onto my system although I doubt it. It also could be a windows problem with the new update. I have windows 7 i3 laptop samsung, 64 bit, 2.2 ghz. This great and again thanks.

Bruce
Old 2012-09-11, 06:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Thanks Steve, Sorry for the misconception. Yes the thread body is what I was driving at. I will try your suggestion. That makes sense. I was under the impression that updates can go backwards and I thought all formats would be accepted or written into the program, seems logical but unrealistic. I did install 6.5 but I did not test whether it is having the same problems. I was thinking that there may be a conflict with another program loaded onto my system although I doubt it. It also could be a windows problem with the new update. I have windows 7 i3 laptop samsung, 64 bit, 2.2 ghz. This great and again thanks.

Bruce
back up all of your files, and re-try reason 6.5.1 ( https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason/ ) and see if you still have the windows problems.

Also, FYI, you really should at least log in to props website, goto the shop, and click "Buy" (you will be charged $0) for the Pulsar Rack Extension while it is still free. It will be linked to your account, even if you wait to install R6.5 later.

It is a really great tool, and if you don't get it now while it is free, it will cost in the future.

I highly recommend you install R6.5.1 (after backing up all of your files) and report the problems you have to the forum and/or props support. You really should not see any issues with the R6.5 install that you did not have with R6.0 - I have seen zero issues with my upgrade to R6.5

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-09-11 at 06:55.
Old 2012-09-11, 16:04

Hi Steve,
I found that 6.5 was not properly installed, therefore I reinstalled and everything works fine. Thanks for all of your great advice and be well.