Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-10, 17:06

Opinions wanted.

My controller quest has pretty much come to an end.

Im running Reason AND logic on a mac. Using Logic for video, but i need to do this all the time so i cant ditch Logic (which i would if i could).

Am erring on a toss up between Nektar Panorama (perfect for Reason obviously) OR a novation mininova and a nocturn.... so i get a decent little synth and some automap knobs...

Im not a DEEP user of either product, more a very light user... dont use RE's (yet)...

I cant decide...

I know the P4 is probably amazing, but for the level I am at, I cant resist the lure of another synth... (also quite keen on the live vocoder/autotune and setting morphing in the mininova).

I just dont know.

If i only used Reason and was a dedicated musician then it would be a no-brainer, but as it is..... nice synth, nocturn with automap for live tweaking of devices (which is something i like doing)...

I jsut dont know... aaaargh.
Old 2012-09-10, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderline View Post
If i only used Reason and was a dedicated musician then it would be a no-brainer, but as it is..... nice synth, nocturn with automap for live tweaking of devices (which is something i like doing)...

I just don't know... aaaargh.
Auto map is BS, you end up having to map the control you're self anyway. And that novation synth is not better than Neptune and what you already have in reason.

You are setting you're self up to waste a few hundred pounds imho. If you want to tweak devices and are not very tech savy when it comes to mapping controllers or want a fluid solid workflow do not by the novation automap unless its cheap as fook on ebay.

What ever you decide let us know
Old 2012-09-10, 18:01

OK cool... thanks... thats the kind of insight im looking for.

I am REALLY talented at wasting multiples of hundreds of quid on music gear.... hence trying to get some opinions on here.

Thanks again.
Old 2012-09-10, 18:35

The P4 (or P6 when it comes out) is what I'm looking at too. The only thing that's holding me back from being sure about it is that I haven't had a chance to actually play it.

You can get used to a different keyboard, and I'm sure that the P4's will be better than any of the cheap, completely unweighted keys out there, but my preference in general is for weighted keys, and I'd like to know how the P4's keys would feel to me.

If anyone can point to another similar feeling keyboard that's easier to get a demo of in the US, I'd like to try it.

This may not be an issue for you, but if you have tried some other keyboards and you have a clear preference for a certain feeling or style of keys, it would be a good idea to try any that you're considering before buying, if possible.
Old 2012-09-10, 18:47

The action of the keys is the least of my worries really as I am a terrible player (i require aftertouch but thats about it), but like you, I cant get a demo of the P4 in any music store near to me, which is frustrating.

My head tells me to go with the P4 as Ive not heard a bad thing written about it by any owner, but my heart tells me go with the synth and the crappy nocturn thingy... (however someone has pretty much slated that idea quite convincingly)...

The Akai MPK range are meant to have nice semi-weighted keys if ive heard right?
Old 2012-09-10, 20:36

I got a P4, great semi-weighted keys, very tight Reason integration, continued RE support with updates, I'm a really crap player though lol. It works well with Ableton as well as a controller keyboard, and you can add some sequencer controls as well with a sy ex dump from the nektar site.
I moved from a edirol pcr 300 and nocturn up to the P4, and it craps all over that from a great height.
I don't work for Nectar by the way either lol
Old 2012-09-11, 11:16

geiger167.... thanks for the response. Im going with the P4. Decided. The fact youre using it well with ableton gives me some confidence itll be good with logic.

Thanks dude.