Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-18, 07:00

Unhappy Help! Reason freezes/hangs at certain times

Hello,

I went out and bought a brand new computer with i7 quad core (with hyperthreading to eight cores) 3.40 GHz, 32 gigs of RAM and everything works great except that periodically Reason just freezes for a second or two or makes a quite pop for a split second. This makes recording near impossible. I have all the same hardware hooked up that I did on my old Pentium 4 and my old Pentium 4 never did this. I'm running Windows 7. Any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 2012-09-18, 09:23

Cool Okay, got that solved, now the next issue

okay, I updated all the drivers on my hardware and that seems to have solved the freezing/hanging problem. However, there was also a strange feedback sound that came into my audio tracks periodically and that problem still happens. The feedback seems to start as a slight pop that can escalate into a loud, pulsing creepy sound that sounds like aliens are trying to communicate. It's late at night, I'm alone in my basement and it's kinda freakin me out. Any ideas?
Old 2012-09-18, 10:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDoggyJake View Post
The feedback seems to start as a slight pop that can escalate into a loud, pulsing creepy sound that sounds like aliens are trying to communicate. It's late at night, I'm alone in my basement and it's kinda freakin me out. Any ideas?
Record it!

Seriously though, this kind of thing can come from a number of sources...a window's users who's experienced the problems might be able to help narrow it down, or suggest some more, but here are a few things it could be:

1. Audio drivers (you probably want ASIO if you're not already using it). If you weren't using windows 7 before, that's another variable since drivers don't always continue to work correctly after OS updates.

2. It could be a purely software problem, but since Reason is a pretty solid piece of software and many people have been using it with windows 7, it's not very likely. Although frustratingly sometimes software issues are resolved simply by uninstalling and reinstalling programs and/or drivers, especially in windows. If you can't find a more targeted solution to try, it's worth a shot.

3. It could be a hardware conflict. Even though you're using the same peripherals, your new computer is a whole new set of hardware for it to interact with, and the computer itself is a bunch of disparate hardware which may or may not have been tested throughly by the person or company who put it together. I don't think that hardware conflicts are as rampant and severe as they once were, but they do still happen.

I would think that it was probably a driver related issue though, or maybe some other weird issue that I'm not aware of, so the first thing I would do is look for new drivers for your audio interface. Searching the forum for other similar cases might help, and looking at forums/support for your hardware might help find the problem too.

I would also try recording something in another program. If the problem shows up there then it's not Reason, and if it doesn't show up there, then it's much more likely that it's a non-driver software problem.

I hope that helps...good luck!

EDIT: I forgot you said you'd already updated the drivers. It's important to remember though that the latest drivers are not *always* the best, and even what should be the best type of drivers are not always the best for your specific device and situation (there are some buggy and poorly written drivers out there).

Since you've updated them already, I'd look for other possible causes first, try recording in another application, remove or disable as much of your other hardware as you can for testing purposes, etc. and if nothing else is working, see which specific driver version other people are using successfully with similar combinations of hardware and software and try that if you're not already using it.

Last edited by gwynebiau; 2012-09-18 at 10:17. Reason: Missed something.
Old 2012-09-18, 10:11
TheodoreM

not a windows expert this day but the initial problem definitely sounded like dpc latency, split second latency overloads.. even though it's better now go to thesycon.de and download their free tool and see if your pc is all in the "green".
Old 2012-09-18, 11:18

Thanks for the replies guys.... I just checked the forum one more time before bed, but I definitely pursue all of your suggestions tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again