Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-19, 22:49

Exclamation Every Artist's Worst Nightmare...

Hey guys, I just recently found an artist online who happens to be newer to the scene but has a bit more followers with the same name as me!
I'm starting to get quite worked up over it and I'm having a hard time coping with the possibility that only one of us is coming out of this with our name, music, or let's not hope rights!

I could use any and all advice for this.

Do I change my name now and avoid confusion?
Do I just let this escalate and see what happens?
Do I <insert question here>?

Thanks everyone, I turned to this community because I know there are a lot of passionate artists here just like me.

Peace always,
Centron

\/ Bandcamp \/
http://nornec.bandcamp.com
Old 2012-09-19, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centron View Post
Hey guys, I just recently found an artist online who happens to be newer to the scene but has a bit more followers with the same name as me!
I'm starting to get quite worked up over it and I'm having a hard time coping with the possibility that only one of us is coming out of this with our name, music, or let's not hope rights!

Thanks everyone, I turned to this community because I know there are a lot of passionate artists here just like me.

Peace always,
Centron
ye gritt ye teeth and make better music then him then keep the name
Old 2012-09-19, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centron View Post

Peace always,
Centron
[For the 'real' answer, skip to the ***** below]

If you mean the name "Centron" then sure, find a more unique name (much as it will be a pain in the butt to do so). But if you mean your 'given' name, then it's more difficult IMO (since more people will know you by that name). One option is to add the word "the" in front of your current name, or if you want to be more subtle, add a period to the end (like the band "fun." did to avoid being confused with an existing band).

Mitigating factors/questions:
Where is the person with the same name located (closer is worse)?
How likely they are to eclipse you (will they still be around in a year)?
How fully entrenched your identity is with your name (and what problems will likely come with a name change)?

In the end, what's the worst that can happen, especially if you can prove you were using the name before the other band? Disclaimer: I'm NOT an expert in the law, and have no experience in this field - just because you're using the name first in one locale doesn't mean you can claim it in others (unless you're using it first there as well).

*****Which means the serious advice I would give you is to contact an expert in this field and ask THEM what to do.

Otherwise, you can always just keep using the name and see what happens! ;-)
USA
Old 2012-09-19, 23:13

exactly if the bi*ch didn't know how to google the band name when he had the idea you shall now show him that people *can* google for that name... and find you
Old 2012-09-19, 23:15

Its no different than being a musician and using your real name only to find someone with the same name is also a musician.
Just keep on using it or as has been said come up with a more unique name that no one will replicate.
Old 2012-09-19, 23:24

My worst nightmare is going deaf. Just keep doing what you're doing.
Old 2012-09-19, 23:28

Everyone, your suggestions are wonderful and exactly what I've been looking for!
The other 'centron' is somewhere in Europe, I'm in the United States, and I'm pretty sure I've been a "branded' artist for much longer! When and if we ever meet, I'm not sure it will be a battle royale, but I'm up for a little challenge

Thanks guys. Any further responses are welcome!

\/ Bandcamp \/
http://nornec.bandcamp.com
Old 2012-09-20, 01:18

Have you contacted the other artist to bring up the issue? Could be worth a friendly email to see if you could come to a compromise before making a decision.

Great music by the way!

Last edited by twink; 2012-09-20 at 02:15.
Old 2012-09-20, 01:30

This is you?

http://www.ourstage.com/epk/centron

http://www.last.fm/label/Centron+Music

http://burn-studios.com/profile/centron

Last edited by Manslick; 2012-09-20 at 01:34.
Old 2012-09-20, 02:39

If you want to do it properly, the answer in the US is to trademark the name. There will be some legal wangling to establish that you are unique in what you do (there are several companies named Centron, mostly tech and industrial oriented) and not in competition with any of the other US Centrons, else you could be held liable for "restraint of trade" and not permitted to use the name. Ran around $1000 last I checked. This will put you in the position of being able to tell all other musical Centrons in the US to clear off or to find another name. Outside of the US the answer is just to be more successful than the other(s) so that you are the Centron with whom potential customers and listeners identify.

There is case precedent for this. Back in the 1960s or 70s the drummer for a moderately popular band (The Royal Coachmen, I think) trademarked the name, unbeknownst to the other members. When it came to it he announced that it was "his" band and that the others could like it or leave. Since it was a hostile move it didn't work out well for anyone. The drummer got the name, but couldn't perform music written by the other members. The other members still owned the music that they had written, but couldn't perform under the original name. Presented as a cautionary tale.
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA