Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-22, 03:13

OT Making websites is no walk in the park

I finally finished my own website at http://bretstradamus.com and I had no idea how much work is involved in making a website. So many little things you take for granted like simple text and page layout require more work than I would have thought, and I only know a bit of code. To anyone here who makes websites, you have my sympathies.
Old 2012-09-22, 03:32

LOL.

It's even harder if the website is basically an application (like computer vendor sites where you pick options and they have to configure the next drop-down based on the choices previously made - or prevent incompatible combinations).

Back in the day when there were less web building tools that have some of this built in, I worked on a large application-as-a-website and our test lab had 65 different computers, one for each unique combination of OS version, and browser / browser version that we supported.

You get the site working on 59 of the 65 platforms, make a 'fix'. 3 platforms are fixed, but 5 others that worked before now break. I remember one section of code that had to be written 20 different ways to work across all of the platforms.

Meanwhile, your hard work paid off, the site looks good.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano

Last edited by SteveDiverse; 2012-09-22 at 03:35.
Old 2012-09-22, 04:25

I did web design full time for about two years and it almost killed me. I learned a bunch of good stuff, like css and how to use wordpress templates But boy doing it for clients was tough. Now I only build sites for me and its great, (shameless plug ahead) feel free to check out my site @ drunkpedestrians.com
Old 2012-09-22, 05:21

I've only worked with wordpress, though it would make things easiest for me but I still had to learn some code. I'm glad I did, though it made for a frustrating first couple weeks.
Old 2012-09-22, 13:20

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebretisdead View Post
I finally finished my own website at http://bretstradamus.com and I had no idea how much work is involved in making a website. So many little things you take for granted like simple text and page layout require more work than I would have thought, and I only know a bit of code. To anyone here who makes websites, you have my sympathies.
Respect on doing this, here is my take on the last 12 months

I have wasted pretty much the entire 12months on using developer tools, wordpress and other applications "trying" to create a shopping cart system I could be proud of. I failed. Sorry if this feels like a thread hijack I just thought it be a good time to tell people my story . It is as you quite rightly stated "no walk in the park" in fact, for me it was like a walk through hell and back.
Old 2012-09-22, 14:06

Your websites looking very good nethertheless!

I run two websites which I have custom designed (or should I say, massacred)

I use tumblr for it's easy to use interface, and ease of use in adding pages and coding, I too only know a little bit about html and css, and both websites were made mainly by taking a really simple premade layout, and completely butchering every bit of code within it to see what it does and changes, and changing things the way I want them to look.

The result is the very industrial looking zoahk.net

And very plain looking blackandgreen.net

The funny thing is I get alot of people coming to me asking me to make websites for them and have had job offers on it, but there is nothing I hate more than coding and web design, it really is a headache, it's also true that having an ability to code if a very valuable skill, cause theres so much demand for people who can code, build applications and websites.

Good luck with your website!
Old 2012-09-22, 14:28

Wordpress ftw

I designed my site in it's current form a couple of years ago, since then I've only made slight adjustments. I like it as it is - simple, to the point. Beats the pants off of maintaining a Flash site, eugh.

Your site looks rather snazzy indeed, it must be said
Old 2012-09-22, 17:28

Tis a good looking site indeed
I will be doing the same in a few months in a long slog to get a business up and running.
I have no idea where to start as Ive never done any web stuff before. What did you use to make it brett? Was looking into wordpress and that joomla thingy myself
How many hours did it take?
Old 2012-09-22, 19:43

Making websites is no walk in the park it's a stroll in the mall

Hi
I just re-designed my site yesterday as well
www.eladberger.com
yes web design and coding is a little messy but that's the way it is
your site looks good just the background picture takes too long to load reduce the compression size of it and it will load faster
good choice going with wordpress, joomla is a little sluggish
Palm Springs CA
USA

Imac 27" i7 2.8 OSX, Reason6.5, Line6 Pod X3, Monitors: KRK rokit6, old Alesis Monitor ones. 80's Gibson Les Paul custom, Ibanez RBM400, hand made custom Explorer, Ovation and Peavey acoustic guitars, Shure, Blue and Sony mics, AKAI LPK25, Peavey Classic 50/212, Line6 Spider II, ADA MP1 pre amp.
Old 2012-09-22, 23:46

Most people don't get how much work goes into a website - even most who actually have one.

Yours looks nice, simple and clean with everything you need. Well done.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth