Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-09-23, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayello View Post
http://www.cdbaby.com/
http://bandcamp.com/

I use bandcamp , i 'm very satisfied with.

Best,
Michel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I have Bandcamp and the structure is very good and pretty kind to musicians's art. Easy enough to put their album widget in other sites. (In what is probably a good move) there is virtually no promotion of artists so you have to bring your own fans.

I did the CD Baby/iTunes thing with a recent album and far as I know no iTunes sales but a few from CD Baby with no promo so that isn't all bad.

I just set up a bandcamp, I saw they were doing a new music discovery feature. I'm hoping that will work well, we'll see. I know a lot of people that love bandcamp, seems to be popular with the college kids bands.
Old 2012-09-23, 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneLifeRecords View Post
what about youtube?
Oh yeah, youtube is a given. It's by far the most popular website for music.
Old 2012-09-23, 09:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlycharlzz View Post
there is something i did anderstand a will ago : for most music Kids and teenages are the promo!
go on the blogs kids go and put a free track of yours, also if kids go to forums go to that forum pick up a girl and say : hello by random you just won a free track from me and post it to her !

but you also got to open all these and try to link most of them so you do not have to open all of these to send the same promo : youtube , facebook , twitter , live, g-mail and that new google friend thing ,
discog , myspace ect ...! to promote a thing it take like a full day at least to create and post and then everyday you have to re-post it again it is hard work so courage !
I agree, you have to put out at least one song for free, but technically it's never "free", you're giving it away in exchange for information, a facebook "like", email address, etc. In my case right now, I'm giving away one track for a tweet. I don't have enough fans or things going to sustain an email newsletter so I figured having my stuff shared on twitter would help gain some attention.
Old 2012-09-23, 09:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebretisdead View Post
The music I'm promoting at the moment is different than my band, it's just my own personal productions so I won't be playing any shows with this music. It's actually a test to see how far online only promotions can go.
I think the worst thing about music sites is a vast majority of musicians want to be heard, but none of them want to listen. Another issue there is the current trends that occupy the site in question, if you don't fall into the trends, nobody cares. eXode's soundcloud page seems to have a lot less external activity than I'd like to see, but I guess that's because he's not Skrillex :/

Personally I have given up on self promotion (save my signature here) The music gets written whether I get paid or not, I'm under no obligations to do anything I don't like and I can write whatever the hell I please (even Commodore64 Covers yo!)

Built with love and Reason!
Old 2012-09-23, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetraX View Post
I think the worst thing about music sites is a vast majority of musicians want to be heard, but none of them want to listen.
I think maybe one of the main issues now is where somebody who used to like to listen to music was just a fan. Now anybody who likes to listen to music probably wants to create it, and can obtain software quite easily. Yes, if you want to start a fan base from the ground up I would still say SC is the best avenue.. but you can't expect to just keep posting songs and getting new followers without listening to and honestly commenting on other people's work consistently. It's hard to get the ball up and rolling but certainly possible.
Old 2012-09-23, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetraX View Post
I think the worst thing about music sites is a vast majority of musicians want to be heard, but none of them want to listen.
From my perspective, this isn't anywhere close to "the worst thing", it's just kind of... a natural fact. I don't think it's something inherent in music sites, but in the music industry and perhaps the general makeup of musicians - as a whole.

As a music lover, I listen to music quite a lot. But any more, my listening is focused. I tend to buy music from bands I'm already familiar with, I tend to be attracted to albums I'm already pretty sure I will enjoy for one reason or another. Sadly, I don't have the kind of day job where I can just load up an iPod and let it play for 8 hours, so a third of my day is entirely music-less. And then, if I'm working on my own music, it hardly makes sense to be listening to someone else's music at the same time.

In that kind of environment, the times where I can actually absorb some good music are precious, and the idea of just trawling around Bandcamp or Soundcloud just aimlessly trying stuff out is, at least for me, at best inefficient and at worst a boring time sink. Not to mention that there's so much music available now that it's difficult enough to keep up with bands I actively like, let alone any of the vast mass of unknown and amateur artists out there. Sure, I might find a hidden gem, it's possible - but I might also spend a lot of time listening to average drek.

And then drop on top of that the fact that as a musician I am naturally more interested in seeing my music get listened to than I am in listening to just any old random other musician. But that, I think, is probably true of any artist - you will have your own favorite artists in whatever medium you choose to work in, but by and large your own interest in your own career will capture your attention far more than the work done by the vast majority of other artists. Again, I think that's more a natural product of being an artist who releases work to the public rather than anything "bad", per se.

And that might be a disadvantage if your tactic is to try and be noticed by all of the other musicians in some musician-oriented network, instead of trying to just get noticed by people in general.

Old 2012-09-23, 13:26

This is a very interesting topic.

I decided first to enter a composition phase where I didn't really want to do much about promotion, so to focus on making really neat tracks amd making them sound great (I have been making music for 20 years, but only recently did I have the oportunity into trying to reach pro sound level - all started with Record 1.5). For that I went part time on my job: bad money, but a lot of time to work on the music and its prod.

Now that it has been a year and a half, I have great tracks, although I am still on an ascending slope, I started to look at the marketing...

Well, after about 6 weeks of that, I am realising that it is a real jungle! I Read some marketing books, and started to apply some of the principles while building networks of FB, SC and TW (Still in their infancy I admit). Tough and so time consuming! Although I am starting to find out a little bag of actions that seems to get better responses than others. One of them, found otu recently, works with other musicians.

the trick is to " promote" others, and you get a automatically a positive feedback, and people get actually curious about you.

But I realised one thing, that is in full agreement with the post above: Isn't it missing the target? Will other musicians buy your stuff. Maybe, a fraction of a fraction of a percent will, but musicians are most interested in their own stuff.

So why not apply this action to the real target. Especially on Twitter.

Help others in their own enquiries, searches or problems. Make them feel important(usually heavy social network users are quite lonely), valuable and help them in their endevours (sometimes a simple Tweet is enough). Make them like you, and then they will start to be curious and maybe start to like you and check your stuff. And when they do, with a positive preconception (i.e. more receptive).

This is the same to getting the woman you like. Don't go towards her, make her want to come to you...

It's tough work, and it requires quite some reflection and emotionnal intelligence. But for now, it's the only way I see that will lead me to finally quit my day job ;-) and put making music at the center of my life.

Let's share our impressions and stories. Post!

Greetz and good luck
www.synaptic-machines.com
http://www.facebook.com/Synaptic.Machines
http://soundcloud.com/synaptic-machines
http://www.reverbnation.com/synapticmachines
http://www.youtube.com/user/SynapticMachines

Reason 6.5
Re: Pulsar, Polar, Poly 6, Predator, RP Distort, Uhbik A anf F, EchoBode, Bitspeek, TSAR 1R, Sat Knob, Buffre, Etch Red, Rough Rider, Trident A Range, Req 31, Morfin Cross Fader, CV suite line processor
Old 2012-09-23, 14:32
shinanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebretisdead View Post
I know this topic has been brought up before, since the internet is in a constant state of change I figured I'll start a new thread. How do you most of you promote your music online, what sites work the best for you and what sites don't? I'm going to try Jango soon, I'm also trying out thesixtyone.com, last.fm, and facebook among others, haven't spent enough time to see any results yet. What works for you guys?
Thanks bretisdead,I think you are correct as most musicians are affected by this same issue,I think its of importance for every musician to start having their own personalized online website away from ordinary free blogs so as to place a close monitoring approach right from your home page to other third parties site where your songs are displayed.
For me,as a music Producer and Beat maker using Reason as my preferred DAW,I just published my site where I have to start by giving out free beats and instrumentals,I'd rather start with my own gradually. Good luck everybody
Shinanie
http://stealdabeat.com
Old 2012-09-24, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouardo View Post
This is a very interesting topic.

I decided first to enter a composition phase where I didn't really want to do much about promotion, so to focus on making really neat tracks amd making them sound great (I have been making music for 20 years, but only recently did I have the oportunity into trying to reach pro sound level - all started with Record 1.5). For that I went part time on my job: bad money, but a lot of time to work on the music and its prod.

Now that it has been a year and a half, I have great tracks, although I am still on an ascending slope, I started to look at the marketing...

Well, after about 6 weeks of that, I am realising that it is a real jungle! I Read some marketing books, and started to apply some of the principles while building networks of FB, SC and TW (Still in their infancy I admit). Tough and so time consuming! Although I am starting to find out a little bag of actions that seems to get better responses than others. One of them, found otu recently, works with other musicians.

the trick is to " promote" others, and you get a automatically a positive feedback, and people get actually curious about you.

But I realised one thing, that is in full agreement with the post above: Isn't it missing the target? Will other musicians buy your stuff. Maybe, a fraction of a fraction of a percent will, but musicians are most interested in their own stuff.

So why not apply this action to the real target. Especially on Twitter.

Help others in their own enquiries, searches or problems. Make them feel important(usually heavy social network users are quite lonely), valuable and help them in their endevours (sometimes a simple Tweet is enough). Make them like you, and then they will start to be curious and maybe start to like you and check your stuff. And when they do, with a positive preconception (i.e. more receptive).

This is the same to getting the woman you like. Don't go towards her, make her want to come to you...

It's tough work, and it requires quite some reflection and emotionnal intelligence. But for now, it's the only way I see that will lead me to finally quit my day job ;-) and put making music at the center of my life.

Let's share our impressions and stories. Post!

Greetz and good luck
This brings up a good point, to know how to treat the people you meet and find. I remember back when Myspace was the major platform most bands spammed people with messages and comments. Now you've got to work harder to get a fan. Not that anyone liked spamming, but it just shows how new technologies enable and force musicians to be also promoters, marketing agents, PR reps, etc. Some of it has made things easier, but it also requires more work than before.
Old 2012-09-24, 10:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by platzangst View Post
From my perspective, this isn't anywhere close to "the worst thing", it's just kind of... a natural fact. I don't think it's something inherent in music sites, but in the music industry and perhaps the general makeup of musicians - as a whole.

As a music lover, I listen to music quite a lot. But any more, my listening is focused. I tend to buy music from bands I'm already familiar with, I tend to be attracted to albums I'm already pretty sure I will enjoy for one reason or another. Sadly, I don't have the kind of day job where I can just load up an iPod and let it play for 8 hours, so a third of my day is entirely music-less. And then, if I'm working on my own music, it hardly makes sense to be listening to someone else's music at the same time.

In that kind of environment, the times where I can actually absorb some good music are precious, and the idea of just trawling around Bandcamp or Soundcloud just aimlessly trying stuff out is, at least for me, at best inefficient and at worst a boring time sink. Not to mention that there's so much music available now that it's difficult enough to keep up with bands I actively like, let alone any of the vast mass of unknown and amateur artists out there. Sure, I might find a hidden gem, it's possible - but I might also spend a lot of time listening to average drek.

And then drop on top of that the fact that as a musician I am naturally more interested in seeing my music get listened to than I am in listening to just any old random other musician. But that, I think, is probably true of any artist - you will have your own favorite artists in whatever medium you choose to work in, but by and large your own interest in your own career will capture your attention far more than the work done by the vast majority of other artists. Again, I think that's more a natural product of being an artist who releases work to the public rather than anything "bad", per se.

And that might be a disadvantage if your tactic is to try and be noticed by all of the other musicians in some musician-oriented network, instead of trying to just get noticed by people in general.
+1

A;so musicians are known for being poor at buying music - maybe because in some ways music isn't as magical for those who make it or they blow their coins on toys... Either way you are 100% right, esp about marketing to punters. Other artists give you respect, Mr Joe gives you income and rare the twin will meet.

ReFills: OSC + Filter - Super Mono-Synth