Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-26, 21:31
darrindanhauer

Using pads/keys simultaneously

Hello, I am using the MPK61 with Reason 5 and can't for the life of me figure out how to use both the drum pad and keyboard simultaneously in real time. If anybody can help me out that would be great, thanks!
Old 2012-09-26, 23:11

right click on one of the devices that you want to control and Lock your midi device to it.
The other one will follow your focus or you can lock that to the other device if you want to be sure it'll keep playing that device.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2012-09-27, 00:38

I think he means the drum pads on the MPK (i.e. the keyboard and the drumpads are on a single controller).

If I get what you're saying is you want to use your keyboard to play an instrument (e.g. a NN-XT) and your drum pads to control a ReDrum or a Kong. Is that right? If that's the case, I'll describe a few ways of getting it done (it's not exactly easy to make that happen in Reason).
Old 2012-09-27, 22:15
darrindanhauer

(if this posts twice, my apologies)
The Akai MPK61 is a MIDI keyboard with a built-in drum pad. I want to be able to use both samples/drum samples/one-shots, WHILE simultaneously playing the keyboard. I have to manually switch between the two, and that's simply not working for me. Thank you and sorry for the confusion.
Old 2012-09-28, 01:04

OK well to do that you will probably find it easiest to create a combinator with both devices in, then you need to modify the key range that the devices are responding to, make sure the kong's triggers are covered by an octave that will trigger it, then you can use the other octaves to trigger your other devices. You may want to change the octave settings in your device if you want to get access to the octave reserved for kong.
I live in Lancashire, England.